Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Overwatch Won't Be Free To Play

AdunSaveMe

They could do it easy. If they only had Overwatch, it'd probably have to work like Guild Wars 2 used to, with microtransactions and a game cost to support it in the long run, but they can easily afford to make it a $40 game with some other stuff and have it supported by their other games.

There might be some major costs associated with the game that we are unaware of so far. It was released on October 27th. The latest quarterly report for Blizzard was on November 3rd. I would wait until the annual report, then see what the costs are. If there is a huge spike in costs from the third quarter to the fourth quarter, we might be able to correlate Overwatch with the increase in costs. 

Two hero shooters with PvP. So tell me again how they're different, because I've played both, and they're very similar.

Battleborn is more like a MOBA in that you level up your character as the game progresses. Heroes are more versatile in their roles and have more ability customization in the form of gears and helixes. Overwatch does not, and is closer to TF2 or Quake in its PvP gameplay in the sense that it's more about the encounters and the objectives, and power development is nil.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Battleborn is more like a MOBA in that you level up your character as the game progresses. Heroes are more versatile in their roles and have more ability customization in the form of gears and helixes. Overwatch does not, and is closer to TF2 or Quake in its PvP gameplay.

The gameplay is very similar, just because one has an element of cuztomisation does not make them completely different.

However the reason why I prefer Battleborn is solely due to it having a PvE campaign too. IE It's got twice the content. I hate online MP only games due to the fact that there's only so much of the same repetitive gameplay you can do, especially when there's little in the way of progression. I don't predict Battleborn to have a long life either due to there being no source of progression outside of the player customisation. Unlike Borderlands that had loot to go for after everything is completed, Battleborn seems to have very little replayability, and Overwatch not having a campaign or anything other than PvP has even less.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Battleborn is more like a MOBA in that you level up your character as the game progresses. Heroes are more versatile in their roles and have more ability customization in the form of gears and helixes. Overwatch does not, and is closer to TF2 or Quake in its PvP gameplay in the sense that it's more about the encounters and the objectives, and power development is nil.

going to agree with Pharen on this one, the similarities outweight the differences at least for the point they were making.

Edited by Omega-Shadowblade

Perhaps. But core gameplay is also a lot different. Mainly in that Overwatch has lower ttk.

Mainly because Battleborn is balanced in a way that ults are made to be significantly more powerful than weapons and minor skills (in PvP anyway). Whereas I find in Overwatch all abilities have the same destructive power but are simply used in different ways.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Mainly because Battleborn is balanced in a way that ults are made to be significantly more powerful than weapons and minor skills (in PvP anyway). Whereas I find in Overwatch all abilities have the same destructive power but are simply used in different ways.

To me, Battleborn and Overwatch feels like fleshed-out variants of Warframe.

Battleborn focuses entirely on PvE where progression continues but resets on every mission.

Overwatch removes artificial progression as a whole and relies on Parkour PvP while baring competitiveness towards players instead.

Battleborn focuses entirely on PvE where progression continues but resets on every mission.

Overwatch removes artificial progression as a whole and relies on Parkour PvP while baring competitiveness towards players instead.

Really? Because to me they feel like completely different games.

Battleborn focuses on PvE and PvP where progression resets every mission, completely unlike Warframe, where your gear and characters have a constant out-of-mission level and separate progress. It's closer to a MOBA than a raw arena shooter.

Overwatch removes hero progression and relies on use of weapons and abilities; I don't know where you're getting this "relies on parkour PvP" nonsense, because players only get anything resembling parkour if that hero has an ability that allows for it. Everything else is the usual running around and occasionally jumping.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Plus, there's the whole level thing.

A game with progression that sees players rising in power over time is vastly different to a game with static character power.

Something tells me you haven't played Battleborn. Mainly because Battleborn has PvP, not just PvE, also Warframe and Battleborn are completely different, and progression does not reset at any point in Battleborn PvE. Overwatch and Battleborn share similarities due to the abilities and how the game plays, the main difference is Battleborn has an element of progression to it, whereas Overwatch is static. I'll have to play more Battleborn PvP to give a better review as I only played two rounds due to the servers being down for the first 3 days of the PS4 closed technical test.

Something tells me you haven't played Battleborn. Mainly because Battleborn has PvP, not just PvE, also Warframe and Battleborn are completely different, and progression does not reset at any point in Battleborn PvE. Overwatch and Battleborn share similarities due to the abilities and how the game plays, the main difference is Battleborn has an element of progression to it, whereas Overwatch is static. I'll have to play more Battleborn PvP to give a better review as I only played two rounds due to the servers being down for the first 3 days of the PS4 closed technical test.

If the CTT is anything to go by (which it could easily not be, but it's the available example, and it would make sense) then actual in-game progression i.e. character level and helixes do reset on a per-mission basis in PvE.

If the CTT is anything to go by (which it could easily not be, but it's the available example, and it would make sense) then actual in-game progression i.e. character level and helixes do reset on a per-mission basis in PvE.

Well in my personal experience, (bug or not), when using a character again in game the level or unlocks (I assume this is what you refer to as the helix) does not reset for me. Also after using a character, in the squad menu the character level updates to the last level I had on that character.

Well in my personal experience, (bug or not), when using a character again in game the level or unlocks (I assume this is what you refer to as the helix) does not reset for me. Also after using a character, in the squad menu the character level updates to the last level I had on that character.

There's three levels in Battleborn. There's your profile level, which shows in the squad list, and affects things like what level of loot pack you can buy with credits. It's essentially the overall level or rank of your profile. The second is like character mastery, which you get on one character as you play it, that gives you unlocks for helix skills or abilities, which we don't know much about yet. The third is the actual in-game level of your character, the one that lets you choose a new ability effect (which is the helix) every time you level up, which resets after you finish the mission.

There's three levels in Battleborn. There's your profile level, which shows in the squad list, and affects things like what level of loot pack you can buy with credits. It's essentially the overall level or rank of your profile. The second is like character mastery, which you get on one character as you play it, that gives you unlocks for helix skills or abilities, which we don't know much about yet. The third is the actual in-game level of your character, the one that lets you choose a new ability effect (which is the helix) every time you level up, which resets after you finish the mission.

I meant what I said, when I returned to a level 9 character, it was still level 9.