Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Help From Someone Who Is Actually Good At Pc Stuff Owo

DJ_Vauban

So today I received my Nvidia titan X and a bunch of other stuff, long story short:

I have a new SSD and installed my windows on that one, all my other stuff is still saved on my older hard drive, my question is, is there a way to basically tell windows to use the old desktop and what was sitting on it? would I just have to copy everything that was sitting on my desktop over or is it way more complicated than that?

I also hope that made sense <w<

So today I received my Nvidia titan X and a bunch of other stuff, long story short:

I have a new SSD and installed my windows on that one, all my other stuff is still saved on my older hard drive, my question is, is there a way to basically tell windows to use the old desktop and what was sitting on it? would I just have to copy everything that was sitting on my desktop over or is it way more complicated than that?

I also hope that made sense <w<

Do you want to make a clone of your desktop onto your SSD, or something else?

Do you want to make a clone of your desktop onto your SSD, or something else?

Well what I want is to be able to access all my older stuff the way I did before without having to go to the hard drive and go deeper and deeper into it until I find that one file I want

Well what I want is to be able to access all my older stuff the way I did before without having to go to the hard drive and go deeper and deeper into it until I find that one file I want

You could try searching the path that leads to your file, so that you can copy it into your SSD. That would assume you still remember (or have some clues) as to where that file is located. 

Yes, that means there no efficient way to find for a file located deep in a system, as far as I know (in the morning). 

Depending who manufactured your SSD you could do a search for data migration utilities.

I know I've used one that Samsung has, it should image your old installation on to your new SSD (size should match of course)

But I dunno, check it out.

a quick google gave this too

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

I haven't read it, but it should be what you are looking for.

There was a hole here, now it's gone. I guess...  (╯°Д°)︵ ┻━┻

Sandisk actually owo does that help?

I don't know if the same program is compatible. Did you get any CD with the SSD?

If you did then you should already have the required software.

I don't know about the Sandisk though, I've only had Samsung and Intel and they both had the required software with them.

In any case, you don't actually have to use the dedicated tools for your specific brand to migrate your windows installation. It works the same way you would clone(migrate) a normal HDD.

I don't know it off the top of my head, but just do a google search and you should be able to find whatever suits you the best.

Again, migration isn't SSD/HDD specific.

Edited by Ahcruna

I don't know if the same program is compatible. Did you get any CD with the SSD?

If you did then you should already have the required software.

I don't know about the Sandisk though, I've only had Samsung and Intel and they both had the required software with them.

In any case, you don't actually have to use the dedicated tools for your specific brand to migrate your windows installation. It works the same way you would clone(migrate) a normal HDD.

I don't know it off the top of my head, but just do a google search and you should be able to find whatever suits you the best.

Again, migration isn't SSD/HDD specific.

I hear xxclone can do the trick for cloning hard disks.