Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Better Mouse Settings

ELRinley

*Grabs list, starts running checks... scratches off various games from the list and jotting in checkboxes.*

Payday 2, out. Sniper Elite V2, out. Firefall, check. Wildstar, out. SOMA, out. Metro 2033, check. Metro Last Light, check. Metro Redux... untested. Dark S-

*Just scribbles out Dark Souls entirely*

That's better... now where was I?

---

I've never been able to hit the broad side of a barn with a high spread shotgun. Part of it is lack of practice, part of it is nerves, bloodflow, muscle weakness, malnourishment, etc... but I've discovered perhaps the biggest factors have simply been... mouse sensitivity and muscle memory.

So I decided to even things out. While most people are satisfied just setting their sensitivity to whatever they feel like at the time, I'm going for something more structured. Every game's sensitivity must be set to make one full rotation with one inch of movement at a certain DPI. Doesn't matter what it is, so long as every mouse I have can handle it and I can sync all my games to it.

4800 DPI, one inch of movement, 360 turn. Thing is, Warframe doesn't have numbers, so sites like www.mouse-sensitivity.com don't really have much info. Calculating is difficult at best overall. Furthermore, what's the ADS speed?

These are things I'd like to see remedied. I'd like to see a nice, preferably deep-decimal numerical slider like Source and others provide and a separate tight-aim slider so I can get that exact 50% speed figure I like.

Being unable to numerically adjust sensitivity in Warframe isn't as big an issue as the intrusive, forced mouse acceleration. Even if you could tweak the sensitivity to match a desired value, acceleration will still mess you up. Try applying this acceleration fix and see if your aim improves. It's not raw input, but it makes a huge difference.

I've been asking for this for along time. They don't care because most casuals out there fail to notice the issue.

I don't understand why more people don't find sensitivity guesswork uncomfortable. The central factor of all shooters by nature gets so little love so often...

Being unable to numerically adjust sensitivity in Warframe isn't as big an issue as the intrusive, forced mouse acceleration. Even if you could tweak the sensitivity to match a desired value, acceleration will still mess you up. Try applying this acceleration fix and see if your aim improves. It's not raw input, but it makes a huge difference.

To be honest I haven't noticed acceleration in Warframe. I'll use Mouse Sensitivity Exporter to test it out next time I'm on.

Either way you cut it, I think nuking mouse problems into the ground by introducing a very robust and detailed option set is the best approach, but I might be the tiniest bit biased. =P

Edited by ELRinley

To be honest I haven't noticed acceleration in Warframe. I'll use Mouse Sensitivity Exporter to test it out next time I'm on.

Either way you cut it, I think nuking mouse problems into the ground by introducing a very robust and detailed option set is the best approach, but I might be the tiniest bit biased. =P

Be sure to let us know of your findings, I'd be quite interested in them. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Krak_Nihilus

Really? If you've applied some acceleration registry fix in the past, I can understand why, but other than that, mouse accel has been bugging me since day 1 - it's very intrusive. I managed to get around it in PvE, but as soon as I started playing PvP, I had to fix it in my registry.

EDIT: There's also an easy test that doesn't require any software. Just position your mouse on the left side of your pad and move it to the right. Repeat the motion at different speeds and see how much it turns in-game (use some visual landmarks to identify the distance travelled). If you you're not landing at the same spot regardless of the movement speed, then mouse accel is on.

Edited by stoybot

Be sure to let us know of your findings, I'd be quite interested in them. Thanks in advance.

Sure thing! Alright, so MSE has four tests and three settings for each. Horizontal and vertical, fast and slow of each.

Settings are x pixels for y seconds at z hertz.

Running the default horizontal tests, 2px for 10s and 10px for 2s @ 125Hz I'm currently pulling identical rotations.

I shouldn't actually have any special registry settings for acceleration, either. I'd only set that on Win7, and I've run a clean install of Win8 and upgraded to Win10 since.

HOWEVER...

2px, 5s  & 5px, 2s @ 250Hz and 1px, 5s & 5px, 1s @ 500Hz are showing different rotations by tens of degrees... looking at Liset ramp from nav console, 125 almost returns to ramp, 250 is halfway between ramp and market console, 500 is over console... the higher the frequency, the SHORTER the rotation.

In short, either Warframe's engine isn't reading high frequency mouse updates properly, or MSE isn't dishing them out properly.

There's also an easy test that doesn't require any software. Just position your mouse on the left side of your pad and move it to the right. Repeat the motion at different speeds and see how much it turns in-game (use some visual landmarks to identify the distance travelled). If you you're not landing at the same spot regardless of the movement speed, then mouse accel is on.

Did that, getting mostly consistent results. There's still a lot of drift because I'm unable to keep the mouse perfectly straight and a straight line is shorter than my wobbly, curvy, turny lines.

Edited by ELRinley

• 1 month later...