Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hacking, Or: Why This Offends Me As A Computer Tech!

AltusLive

So, hacking...

If you've played this game for 10 minutes now, you've done this little game. Cute at first, not after doing it 10 times in one level. Now before I start this though: this is not me saying we shouldn't have this! Honestly I think it's a great idea; it's just implemented wrong.

First off: I need to comment on: why in the hell would all 3 races have the same software running on their computers? Seriously, as a computer technician myself it's just ridiculous. It's like expected China, Japan, and America to all be running the same software for their military (you can decide who's who in that analogy). At the very least, we should see different styles of hacking depending on which race we're fighting against. The infested have a bit of an excuse, since they seem to mostly steal ships (though that means we should be hacking Orokin software then), but the Grineer and Corpus both have such drastically different environments that the same method of hacking for both just seems out of place. I know it seems like a small thing, but honestly once you think about it a bit it just breaks the flow of the game (or at least does for me). I want to be running around feeling like I'm a master ninja versed in computer cracking, not someone with a "Break every password" USB drive that I'm just plugging in to every panel.

Second: This one might be pushing it, but personally I'd like to see different puzzles depending on the activity. Following the same logic as before: it just seems odd that I'd use the same method to crack security software for stealing information, that I would for say: dropping the blast shutters, or opening a prison cell. Again, it just feels like one of those Hollywood scenes where I'm just plugging in a device that's just doing all the work, and all I have to do is push "run".

Edit:
Just on reflection: Why do we need to hack a console to drop blast shutters, anyway? Shouldn't that be a big red button labelled "Push to not get sucked in to the vacuum of space!" or something like that?

Edited by Ice232

I had to read this whole thing to figure out what you were even talking about. I think DE has mentioned before that they would like to change the hacking minigame some. However, as you can imagine, I don't think this is very high on the priority list.

Dude, if you keep getting offended by this stuff then probably should stop gaming/viewing any entertainment media. Halo : One chip (Cortana seems to fit all), Bioshock (Pipe alignment S#&$)...None of it ever makes sense. You should just let it go; this is an essay without a TL;DR and you put too much thought into it.

Dude, if you keep getting offended by this stuff then probably should stop gaming/viewing any entertainment media. Halo : One chip (Cortana seems to fit all), Bioshock (Pipe alignment S#&$)...None of it ever makes sense. You should just let it go; this is an essay without a TL;DR and you put too much thought into it.

I think my facetious humor may have been lost on you...it doesn't offend me, but it does look lazy. I know the developers have put a lot of effort in to this game, but as the saying goes: "The devil is in the details". It's the small things in games that really make them shine. Regardless of how other games have done them, this game has a fairly high emphasis, and frequency of hacking. It's obviously something that they wanted us to do often. So the fact that I'm having thoughts like that while playing problem mirrors the thoughts of other people playing as well.

Also, what's wrong with putting thought in to things?

In a past livestream there was talk about giving more variety to hacking, and that each faction would have their own aestethic. Something like that during an infested missions the interface would have veins and stuff instead of straight lines.

Yea, it is strange, always bothered me a little how no matter where you are it even always says 'GRINEER CIPHER' just to really prove it's the same game something as simple as making separate mini games/look for factions would make it just that little more fun.

How about we make it more realistic and have it where you upload a program and then wait 2 hours for it to work?

Joking aside, it is worth noting that the Grineer and Corpus do trade together sometimes. Maybe Corpus computing tech is used in Grineer ships, or reverse engineered from it.

How about we make it more realistic and have it where you upload a program and then wait 2 hours for it to work?

Joking aside, it is worth noting that the Grineer and Corpus do trade together sometimes. Maybe Corpus computing tech is used in Grineer ships, or reverse engineered from it.

A valid point, but I'd speculate that the Corpus OS wouldn't be compatible with the Grineer's hardware, given that the new Grineer ship looks like it belongs in the show Firefly, and Corpus in Star Trek. If it was reverse engineered you'd still see discrepancies since they would need to then re-engineer it to match their needs.

Really though, I'd argue that the difference between them would be basically the difference between OS X and Windows. 

So, hacking...

If you've played this game for 10 minutes now, you've done this little game. Cute at first, not after doing it 10 times in one level. Now before I start this though: this is not me saying we shouldn't have this! Honestly I think it's a great idea; it's just implemented wrong.

First off: I need to comment on: why in the hell would all 3 races have the same software running on their computers? Seriously, as a computer technician myself it's just ridiculous. It's like expected China, Japan, and America to all be running the same software for their military (you can decide who's who in that analogy). At the very least, we should see different styles of hacking depending on which race we're fighting against. The infested have a bit of an excuse, since they seem to mostly steal ships (though that means we should be hacking Orokin software then), but the Grineer and Corpus both have such drastically different environments that the same method of hacking for both just seems out of place. I know it seems like a small thing, but honestly once you think about it a bit it just breaks the flow of the game (or at least does for me). I want to be running around feeling like I'm a master ninja versed in computer cracking, not someone with a "Break every password" USB drive that I'm just plugging in to every panel.

Second: This one might be pushing it, but personally I'd like to see different puzzles depending on the activity. Following the same logic as before: it just seems odd that I'd use the same method to crack security software for stealing information, that I would for say: dropping the blast shutters, or opening a prison cell. Again, it just feels like one of those Hollywood scenes where I'm just plugging in a device that's just doing all the work, and all I have to do is push "run".

Edit:

Just on reflection: Why do we need to hack a console to drop blast shutters, anyway? Shouldn't that be a big red button labelled "Push to not get sucked in to the vacuum of space!" or something like that?

I would actually love differences in how this is handled, what I would like is this:

* Different difficulties (this could be tied to the overall difficulty slider we'll most likely see later)

* Hacking to actually corrupt/drop off dataframe too

* Hacking for longer periods in mobile defense missions where you plug Lotus into a system. Sure, she'll do most of the stuff, but you'll need to get her access first right?

* Locked doors that need to be hacked to gain access to loot (can you tell I'm a Thief fan?)

I would actually love differences in how this is handled, what I would like is this:

* Different difficulties (this could be tied to the overall difficulty slider we'll most likely see later)

* Hacking to actually corrupt/drop off dataframe too

* Hacking for longer periods in mobile defense missions where you plug Lotus into a system. Sure, she'll do most of the stuff, but you'll need to get her access first right?

* Locked doors that need to be hacked to gain access to loot (can you tell I'm a Thief fan?)

That's actually a really interesting idea, and could add for a great new game concept. Having to do a long term hack (like a mobile defence, but with you doing the hacking, rather than Lotus). It'd add for some great multiplayer levels, since they'd have to defend the hacker, and some great stealth solo play.

In one of the livestreams they have actually mentioned this.

They are going to implement different hacking puzzles for the different races.

Though it is probably not very high on their priority list.

It also says it is a grineer system when you hack it.

So currently corpus are using the same security systems as the Grineer.

So, OP, when's the last time you attempted to hack a computer IRL during a heated gunfight while gunfire was whizzing by your head, while the room you're standing in was decompressing?

Make the hacking game too hard and people start dying when there's Lv30-50 mobs in the room blasting away at you.

Because they (DE) wanted you to watch your fire and encourage you to NOT break the windows in a heated fight? Maybe it is put there to make you care about your aim and where you shoot/throw your stuff?

Edited by Xylia

The hacking should be based on the map, rather than the faction in the mission. Grineer Galleon would have Grineer computers even if the mission was Infested.

P.S. Hacking away the alert status ("You've been seen! Ready your weapons!") would be awesome.

Game doesn't care about silly things like realism or authenticity:

-Magazines aren't clips

-Paris isn't a compound bow

-Gravity isn't the same on every planet

-Lanka is not a railgun (not sure if it actually claims to be though), only does electrical damage

-You can't set an ice cube on fire

Just to name a few.

Edited by Argoms