Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Fallout 4 Dissapointing?

Goosmo

Is Fallout 4 a disappointment?

In some ways, yessir. It really is.

Graphics are meh, as most have already pointed out, animations can be kinda wonky at times, and so can the A.I. Sometimes it's just slight hiccups that correct themselves in no time, other times it's hilariously goofy. I watched Paladin Danse walk into a wall for about a minute, stand completely still for five, then back up and walk back into the wall.

Real friggen funny, but also real friggen annoying when you just wanna play the darn game.

Then comes a strange stability issue that I've been having. My computer is leagues better than the required specs to run everything on ultra, but I still have a very strange stuttering FPS loss problem not unlike those that have been seen on similar titles by Bethesda. (Skyrim had this issue for a little bit after launch If I remember properly)

Anyway, fun fact, if you are having this issue, run the game on borderless windowed mode. Fixes a lot of it, but unfortunately not all of it. We're just going to have to wait for a fix for this issue, which I hope arrives swifty.

Now that we've gotten my main complaints out of the way, we can get on to the good jazz.

Combat. Combat never changes. Except in Fallout 4. Friggen combat is infinitely, incomprehensibly better than Fallout3/NV's combat. Gunplay is smoother, faster, much, much, MUCH more enjoyable. Love this aspect of the game, now Fallout is a solid FPS, which is fantastic. Oh, and you can melee enemies with your gun, which is awesome. Don't have to pull out the ol' bumper sword when I get too close.

I also really like the whole weapon mod system, there are a TON of new weapons variants you can make. I'm currently rolling with a laser rifle that lights jazz on fire, I loveses it to bits. I also vaguely remember seeing an option to rename weapons. I did not check that out, which was stupid of me I know, I know, but I did not. If you can though, that's a real nice touch.

Power Armor also got a huge overhaul which is awesome. Now I actually FEEL like an eight foot tall WALKING WALL OF HUMAN TITANIUM, in addition to actually, literally being a human death-tank. You're very powerful in Power Armor, bulletproof and strong as all hell, but it's not OP. You need to power it with fusion cells, which is awesome, I love this, and fusion cells can be depleted rather rapidly, making Power Armor much more valuable, much more tactical, and much more precious. You can't goof around in it or you run out of energy, and then it basically becomes 200 pounds of steel weighing down on you, and you recieve numerous debuffs, which is another nice little touch.

Honestly, the new power armor might be my favorite part of the game, it is honestly THAT fun to use.

The settlements sound neat too, but I haven't done any of that yet. I will probably get to that tomorrow.

All in all, from my experiences with it, Fallout 4 is an awesome game on its own, sure it looks a tad outdated (I bet that's the first thing the modding community is gonna fix when we get the G.E.C.K) and is, honestly, real darn buggy. I, however, can see past these faults because bugs can and will be squashed, and we have a glorious modding community on the PC. The second one is kind of a weak reason, but hey, give them credit where it's due, those guys are awesome. (If Bethesda let the big boys in the modding community make the next Fallout game, it'd be just as solid, if not more so than what they would have made)

Also, I think the many, many improvements and additions over the last couple of titles is worth a few good-job points in my book.

Is Fallout 4 a disappointment?

In some ways, yep, in others, nope.

All in all, if you have played the last few Fallouts and other Bethsoft games, and knew what to expect from good ol' Bethy, you might have actually been pleasantly surprised. It's a solid addition to the franchise, and will be even more so once all the goofy day one bugs are sorted out.

However, if you are like me and a die-hard Fallout fan since day one, and were hyped up like some raider scum on Psycho, you would be kinda sad about the game. Hype blinds, deludes us. Hype is a drug, and when you kick it, you'll be able to enjoy the experience much more.

I give Fallout 4 a solid 8/10. If you're a fan of the series, you will no doubt enjoy the title. However, I'd wait a month or two to let Bethesda work out all the kinks before you do get it to have a much more enjoyable, and much less goofy post nuclear-annihilation.

Have a fun apocalypse all you wastelanders!

Four-Cat out!

Got kinda long, sorry about that.

Edited by 011100110110000101101101