Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Rework. Mandatory Zoom?

(PSN)Aryonas

I know this may all still be a work in progress and as yet there may be nothing nailed down, but I think that makes it more important to talk about it.

Scott was talking about having a benefit to zooming in all the way. I think it was increased critical chance.

That is not such a good idea.  The mandatory mod business confuses some people I know, but the same thing somewhat applies here. You'll make your build around the maximum crit chance and will feel like there is not even an option for using the first or second levels of zoom.

Sniper rifles just need a flat damage increase like shotguns received.  They are low capacity, low rate of fire and the one they showed in the last DevStream even had a charge time.  Compare that to the Tigris or Hek which simply devastate outright and have even been made to work at greater ranges, why would you even touch a Sniper rifle?

My point is Sniper rifles will be useless by the time you add it all up: Slow rate of fire, underwhelming damage, charge times, small magazine, frequent reloads, almost no sniping opportunities, AND must be zoomed all the way in for maximum effect no matter what range.

I can't see how Zoom was the big thing all the players were hoping for. This game has almost no opportunity to effectively use a sniper rifle on a good day, let alone with increased zoom distance and having to go all the way to that max level to kill. They should be approached as DMR's (Designated marksman rifles) with low to medium zoom, wide field of view with a fast acquisition reticle but have very high damage to compensate for all the negatives.

Instead of having the zoom/crit chance relationship maybe having something like this: When using the Optic headshots deal additional 50% damage. Maybe something like this too: When hip fired (Not aiming) enemies shot within 6 Meters are stunned. Just a couple creative things to make sniper rifles more fun and unique, not to mention viable.

I want snipers to work because up to this point they are not worth talking about. Careful adjustment could do the trick.

The scope isn't mandatory. It just gives you an avantage at range, escpecially with the upcoming crit stuff. If you want to run around 360 noscoping everything, you can already do that if you want. Turned out ok for me during my Vectis days.

Also the Lanka just has a charge time, because. It is not a global feature. I do agree that there aren't many huge tiles where sniping is very effective.

Edited by vrdwrst