Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Rework

(PSN)xXToastiButterXx

So I love Oberon, it's actually the first frame I saw in a YouTube video that got me interested in Warframe.

I am however a little worried about where he stands compared to others...

So here is a fan concept my friend and I came up with for Oberon.

1) Smite: I think this is a decent ability mechanic-wise, but make it a open target ability, where all you do is aim in any general direction, and the max number of projectiles appear (like psychic bolts) also it should have a little more duration and more aggressive homing on the projectiles. I'm tired of having it circle around enemies.

2) Hallowed Ground: Make this ability a circle around Oberon, Straight lines seem way too clunky and awkward, other than that, I like the buffs it applies.

3) Renewal: Ok, so let me start off with this, Renewal is fine, I use it in those "Oh $#IT!" situations with life strike. But it is not very great, It's flight speed is still slow, and if you want decent regen, get ready to pour energy from your eyesockets.

Our idea for this ability is to have it copy Vex Armor and Defy's mechanics in the fact that the more damage you take, the more armor you gain up to certain amount, but instead of also gaining more damage when health takes damage, every 1000/800/750/500 points of health damage received does a burst of healing to all teammates in range, and every consecutive heal drains energy and increases drain per heal, and becomes less effective than the last.

4) Reckoning: We couldn't come up with somethin that wasn't too over powered or borin, we like it as it is, but we thought:

If it lifted enemies, and held them for 12 seconds, and drained energy while holding them, it would add a whole new level of CC to Oberon! Also For godssake, please increase the range to at least 20-25 meters!

Please add your thoughts and Ideas to the thread! Well be adding and changing it as it goes and as we get more in depth ideas!

Edit: fixed spelling errors.

Edited by (PS4)rinneganadrian

I think Oberon is a fantastic frame already. But based on the direction the game is going, it's not a bad idea to keep the "good" frames up to date either. In general, I like Oberons abilities, but I think your ideas are great. I would definately vote for them.

I completely agree on your Hallowed Ground and Reckoning ideas.

The damage of these abilities is negligible. Many ideas have been offered to DE regarding Oberon's abilities and possible reworks... They just aren't biting yet.

Oberon, among other warframes has no place in end-game content, which makes him a top contender for "next rework" (in my opinion). 

Raids, Sorties, Engame-void.... Nothing. Oberon could use some love.

I've played him for 900 hours, I love his design, appearance, and theme - But his abilities are just so incredibly below-average, it hurts.

Personally I always thought Oberon's abilities had a lot of potential (especially once the smite augment came out for that radiation damage boost), but it always came down to the fact that trinity is an OP healer that no other can compare to, plus Oberon's base stats are relatively low and that makes him hard to mod up nicely.

I think Oberon is a fantastic frame already. But based on the direction the game is going, it's not a bad idea to keep the "good" frames up to date either. In general, I like Oberons abilities, but I think your ideas are great. I would definately vote for them.

Thank you! I agree, Oberon is in a good place, He's got the armor, the health, and the energy to use his full kit, but seeing how everyone is getting changed to scale better in endgame, I thought it was time to update Oberon before he get's left behind!

I love how everyone can agree his damaging abilities, just, don't really do damage! I thought, a paladin? That's someone who can take hits, and defend his team. Damage with this rework is just a plus, a paladin shouldn't DPS with abilities, a paladin controls the fight, so this is a rework mostly based around CC, because honestly, endgame is all just cheese it and keep the enemies distracted!

Oberon

Smite: Creates a spinning moving energy orb that does slash radiation damage, energy orb explodes in aoe slash radiation at end of life or early collision with wall/floors etc., damage of aoe slash radiation damage is increased by number of hits during initial cast. The size of energy orbs aoe slash radiation is effected by range mods, duration will determine the orbs life span, casting on an orb again will cause it to explode causing puncture radiation damage, orb has a set distance and redirects some incoming projectiles. (Multiple casts)

Alt Mods: Orbs have no set distance but explode on contact leaving eruption ground that explodes when touched

Hollowed Ground: Oberon turns spectral leaving his Warframe as energy. Oberon leaves hollowed ground on any surfaces he touches as he traveles in this spectral form, his speed is increased and each enemy he passes through has their shields disabled. When this ability is toggled off the spectral trails that Oberon creates will erupt in blast radiation knocking enemies away when re-entering his frame. In this state Oberon can not do harm or be harmed unless his Warframe is directly attacked. In this state Oberon has a light shield that surrounds his Warframe, while in this meditated state Oberon's health gradually recovers, if this shield is broken Oberon will begin to take damage. Companions will stay and guard the "Hollowed Remains". Power duration mods will allow you to stay in this form longer, stretch will positively effect the size of Oberon's trails

Alt mod: Hollowed ground set while spectral will not explode until stepped upon after re-entering the Warframe.

Renewal: Oberon creates a light shield around individual Warframes that heals until broken or depleted. Shields re-charge to 50% if light shield is destroyed. Duration mods increase shields lifespan while intensify makes the shield stronger reducing the damage. (Cannot be stacked)

Reckoning: Oberon holds enemies suspended dealing radiation damage over time (enemies that die before slam fall out of air), casting again causes Oberon to slam enemies in a violent eruptions. Number of enemies are effected by range mods while the time suspended Is effected by duration mods, intensify will increase the damage of the slam and eruption as well as damage while suspended.

Signed .Turner

I like the op's ideas and I also like the ideas suggested by KiDTooN504. Either or a combination of the two would definitely get my vote. Oberon might have been the first frame I wanted to get; prior to that I had a buddy suggesting frames. I do have another idea for Reckoning though.

Reckoning: Oberon conjures a sword and shield to fight with. Blocking with the shield results in no damage and his guard cannot be broken from repeated attacks, either holding the button to block or actually blocking an attack should drain energy faster however. If Oberon stands still while blocking he gains armor from each his he blocks, amount dependent on strength of the blocked attack, which results in a 30 second buff applied when the ability ends (either from running out of energy or toggled off). Blocking also increases the threat the enemies feel Oberon poses which causes them to be more likely to attack him.

Sprinting then blocking causes you to shield charge in a straight line blocking any attacks coming from the front only and any enemy in the path is rag dolled away (like the juggernaut charge but maybe not moving as quickly). Once the shield charge starts there is no cancelling it and it is affected by duration mods.

The armor buff at the end of the ability (if you stood still and blocked attacks) would be affected inversely by the mod which causes status effect to clear quicker (I can't think of the name right now but it says status effects clear a certain percentage quicker: for Oberon it would also increase the duration of the armor buff when the ability ends). Damage from shield charge based on melee mods; sword attacks based on ability mods like intensify.

I don't know if my idea is any good but it does seem DE has been on a kick recently of fourth abilities giving you weapons to fight with rather than it being an AoE or fire and forget type of thing. Thought the shield based version would mesh nicely with his being a paladin and giving him increased threat generation means he can actually preemptively protect the squad by drawing the enemies fire.

I love these ideas, I love Oberon(most played frame lolz), but he got buffed recently...So it'll be a while before you can have these ideas set into place. 

Your smite idea is really great and yes, it really does need more homing. The projectile speed needs to be buffed a bit, too. So far, it's really only useful in enclosed spaces but those enclosed spaces...tend to get you killed very quickly.

Hallowed ground: most people see it as useless, but it's great for resisting procs. My only problem with it is its area, which you mentioned. A circle would be so much nicer. 

I completely agree with you about renewal, especially with the projectile speeds lol...It'd also be wonderfully nice if they could buff it in such a way so that vazarin doesn't make renewal obsolete(oh smart me, choosing vazarin and have Oberon as my main)..

Reckoning: Eh, I'd prefer it if we kept it with the traditional ground slam thing. The only thing though is that I'd like for the radiation proc to last for far longer and for the knockdown time to be increased. A slight range increase would be nice too. Also, instead of having health orbs on drop(bc after a certain time, the damage of reckoning becomes obsolete), enemies slammed by reckoning will have an effect similar to trin's WoL affect them for a short duration? idk