Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remedy Needed For Falling Outside Of World, Getting Stuck

Nukeschool

The fact is that people continue to fall outside the world for various reasons and it is also possible for players to get stuck at times. Nothing seems to address this perfectly. I strongly suggest that perhaps a /stuck command or a /respawn command would be useful to resolve this. Something that can be triggered so that the player is not forced to endlessly fall for the remainder of the mission (which could be up to 10 minutes for mobile defense) or disconnect. While not directly addressing the true cause of the phenomenon, it could provide an effective and immediate remedy.

How about stopping people from falling off the map in the first place?

A fine suggestion, though I meant the "pit" area as a quick 5-minute fix while they work on permanently fixing the issue, as the OP meant with the /stuck command. ("While not directly addressing the true cause of the phenomenon, it could provide an effective and immediate remedy." - OP)

Edited by CaveCricket48

How about stopping people from falling off the map in the first place?

There are dozens of places you can fall out of the map or get stuck in. The devs are doing awesome work in fixing all of them, but the fact remains that more likely than not, there's probably something that's going to be missed. Even if there was code to prevent players from falling out of the map entirely, you'd still have the problem with players getting stuck in terrain.

And even if they did eventually manage to fix every single problem with the terrain, they'd get a whole other load of terrain bugs and issues the moment they released a new tileset- and they would have the same issue every time they released a new tileset.

An /unstuck command is a failsafe to protect the players. It has nothing to do with laziness; it has to do with making sure players don't lose that multishot mod that they finally got after hours of farming just because they fell out of the terrain, or the elevator dropped them out of the world, or because they got stuck in a tiny gap, or because they did a jump attack and the game made them fly into the corner of the map and stay stuck there.

Of course they'd still work on fixing the terrain bugs, but this way it doesn't punish players for being one of the first to try out a map.

A fine suggestion, though I meant the "pit" area as a quick 5-minute fix while they work on permanently fixing the issue, as the OP meant with the /stuck command. ("While not directly addressing the true cause of the phenomenon, it could provide an effective and immediate remedy." - OP)

Problem is that I can get stuck in the void doors, and since that's aboveground, I can't get teleported unless I'm using ash

There are dozens of places you can fall out of the map or get stuck in. The devs are doing awesome work in fixing all of them, but the fact remains that more likely than not, there's probably something that's going to be missed. Even if there was code to prevent players from falling out of the map entirely, you'd still have the problem with players getting stuck in terrain.

And even if they did eventually manage to fix every single problem with the terrain, they'd get a whole other load of terrain bugs and issues the moment they released a new tileset- and they would have the same issue every time they released a new tileset.

An /unstuck command is a failsafe to protect the players. It has nothing to do with laziness; it has to do with making sure players don't lose that multishot mod that they finally got after hours of farming just because they fell out of the terrain, or the elevator dropped them out of the world, or because they got stuck in a tiny gap, or because they did a jump attack and the game made them fly into the corner of the map and stay stuck there.

Of course they'd still work on fixing the terrain bugs, but this way it doesn't punish players for being one of the first to try out a map.

I think the problem is with objects being movable. Given that they aren't using a coding system that allows them to do multiple things (doors left open as long as someone is in vicinity, regardless of latency; doors for timed runs that can insta-gib people when they shut, including players; doors that will stay open if a dead body is there or near there), I think we need to remove doors all-together. That's the main reason why anyone would fall off the map or get stuck.

The others are just boundaries that weren't done up right, like the Grineer Mining Station tileset that had this conveyor belt. Prior to release, DE didn't even bother to inspect if someone could slide through and end up out of bounds and when people DID such acts, it was already too late.

Edited by matrixEXO

I wish the game would assume that if you're falling for 20 seconds without stopping, you're bugged and teleport you into a set location (Such as when mods fall off cliffs)

especially for those times where you fall off an edge, then it respawns you in a location such that you fall off the edge straight away.

It's so frustrating to come back up, only to be sent off the same cliff at the same angle.

They could just slap a "pit" area across the entire underside of the map, you know, those detection zones in holes you're not supposed to go in. Fall through a floor and you end up at the last thing you were standing on,

From what I understand, it's already there. The problem is that it teleports you to a spot from which you fall again.

From what I understand, it's already there. The problem is that it teleports you to a spot from which you fall again.

Nah, that's not the case. There are ways to fall entirely outside of the map where it won't teleport you anywhere; instead, you fall endlessly until you reach a certain point where your character dies. Your dead body then gets teleported back up, usually in an entirely different area, but I've never experienced it teleporting me somewhere to fall again. You then end up being forced to use a revive to continue.

The reset from when you fall into a pit does occasionally reset you at a point where you just fall again, but most of the time that can be remedied by not hitting any buttons or moving. For some reason, even if you hold back, the initial direction your character moves in is forward - so you just fall off again. I've only experienced an endless fall not remedied by that once, on Xini - thankfully I had a friend who could throw Bounce on the edge to throw me off.

I think the problem is with objects being movable. Given that they aren't using a coding system that allows them to do multiple things (doors left open as long as someone is in vicinity, regardless of latency; doors for timed runs that can insta-gib people when they shut, including players; doors that will stay open if a dead body is there or near there), I think we need to remove doors all-together. That's the main reason why anyone would fall off the map or get stuck.

The others are just boundaries that weren't done up right, like the Grineer Mining Station tileset that had this conveyor belt. Prior to release, DE didn't even bother to inspect if someone could slide through and end up out of bounds and when people DID such acts, it was already too late.

It's not entirely moveable objects that does it. I've actually never fallen out of a map because of a door; usually I fall out of the map because of other weird terrain bugs, like phasing through walls. Sometimes it's because I parkour up to places I'm apparently not supposed to, so there isn't a wall at all. I do fall out of the map very frequently though. I can use 4 revives in a single mission because I really like exploring and fall out of the map a lot.

The conveyer belt's problem was that moving objects transfer properties to players standing on it. You couldn't exactly slide under it - it's just that standing on a moving object makes you do everything it's doing, including phasing through solid objects and teleporting. That's why they didn't just extend the railing or anything and instead made it so that you reset if you tried to get through it; it's hardcoded into moving objects, I think.

Funny thing is one of my friends still managed to slide through it, and for some reason every time he did he got teleported into a completely unrelated room - worse yet, he was teleported into a small room that for some reason existed right behind a wall xD No exit possible, but luckily I was playing Loki and managed to do some Switch Teleport trickery with my decoy to get him out.

Easy still would be to go into the map editor and just put a screen below each area of the map that would act the same as jumping into a dead zone and teleport you back up to a set point. Ya know... A safety net.

Easy still would be to go into the map editor and just put a screen below each area of the map that would act the same as jumping into a dead zone and teleport you back up to a set point. Ya know... A safety net.

You'd still be able to get stuck in terrain, though. Granted that happens a bit less than falling out of the map, but /unstuck solves both.

Problem is that I can get stuck in the void doors, and since that's aboveground, I can't get teleported unless I'm using ash

Hell, my clan and I joke about my luck in that regard, while playing a Frost I got shoved into the wall by a revolving door, managed to get myself unstuck somehow, and the door after the next one? Same thing happened. Happened the next mission with the very first door, too. Third mission? Made it to the end and we finally got the receiver as our void drop.