The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

C Drive Full, Cant Move The Files

Redscyte

Question

This issue has plagued me for so long. My C drive is full and i can never figure out how to free up space. I put all my stuff on my D drive, but for some reason warframe needs room on the C drive. I have uninstalled and reintstalled this game 4 different times so updated files go to the D drive. Yet after so many updates my C drive fills and becomes to full to download new updates. 

How/Why do I get warframe to just go to the D drive only?

Things I have tried-

-disk clean up

-deleting/uninstalling unused programs/data

Other than that i dont know. Not a tech savy person and am at the point of taking my PC to a tech to reformat. 

11 answers to this question

if you have done a OS upgrade at some point. there may be a folder called windows.old or something like that. these can be rather large. getting rid of that if its there could help. reformatting is always good. how big is your hard disk? getting a larger hard disk is relatively cheap these days.

...do you have multiple partitions on one drive? Like, "C" is just a partition, maybe "D" is also on the same Drive. If you don't happen to have a Laptop, could you pls check how many Drives you have installed? because if it's only one you can just delete the "D" partition (while firstly putting all files on there to an external drive) and have all space assigned to the "C" drive.....

Move your local user profile to the D drive, probably all of the appdata files are clogging your main drive. Read up on how to do it. Also, clean up all the temp files and try to pin point what folders are the largest ones and try to identify why they are that big. How big is that C drive?

Edited by S0V3REiGN

Use treesize to have a look where the bulk of your space is being taken up. There may be a program somewhere which isn't cleaning up its temp files, or some other stash of data you're not aware of.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

If that shows that the WinSXS folder in Windows is taking up a lot of space, you can do a cleanup of that too.

http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

I presume you didn't turn off the hibernation mode (it creates a file on drive C equal in size to your total RAM). If you don't use hibernation and just always turn off your PC, you can disable this feature. Press Win+R to open the Run window, type cmd, hit enter. In the cmd window type "powercfg -h off" without quotes, and hit Enter. this should disable the hibernate mode and delete the corresponding file.

Also, go to C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Temp and remove everything (if something can't be removed - skip it).

Open control panel, go to System, Advanced system settings on the left-hand side, System protection and select drive C and click Configure. There you can set how much space to use for system backups.

Warframe saves it's launcher in AppData\Local\Warframe and it can't be changed.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

Use treesize to have a look where the bulk of your space is being taken up. There may be a program somewhere which isn't cleaning up its temp files, or some other stash of data you're not aware of.

If that shows that the WinSXS folder in Windows is taking up a lot of space, you can do a cleanup of that too.

http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

I will try these

if you have done a OS upgrade at some point. there may be a folder called windows.old or something like that. these can be rather large. getting rid of that if its there could help. reformatting is always good. how big is your hard disk? getting a larger hard disk is relatively cheap these days.

I dont remember the last one, I never heard of this so I will look.

...do you have multiple partitions on one drive? Like, "C" is just a partition, maybe "D" is also on the same Drive. If you don't happen to have a Laptop, could you pls check how many Drives you have installed? because if it's only one you can just delete the "D" partition (while firstly putting all files on there to an external drive) and have all space assigned to the "C" drive.....

I have a C drive thats i think 116 GB, and my D drive is 1.81 TB. I have tried moving files from C to D hoping they would just move over but they just create new folders on the C drive.

Move your local user profile to the D drive, probably all of the appdata files are clogging your main drive. Read up on how to do it. Also, clean up all the temp files and try to pin point what folders are the largest ones and try to identify why they are that big. How big is that C drive?

Done this. Like i said above it just makes a new User folder and replenishes the Appdata files, I honestly think this is my biggest issue when it comes to space.

Other info, I have a PC desktop, 2 hard drives (i think that's what they are called) C is the system default it totals 125 GB but says there's 116GB now completely full, and I have D drive that's 2 TB that says its 1.81 TB and only 1/4 full.

Just ran the scan the WinSXS doesnt seem very big its a folder called WRData taking up 51 GB alone and when i look into it its a bunch of folders for internet browsers, some i don't nor ever had.

That's because you need to do more then just move the physical folder, part of why I mentioned you should read up on how to do it. You will probably have to change the profile path in the system registry.

Cool, Checking youtube

This issue has plagued me for so long. My C drive is full and i can never figure out how to free up space. I put all my stuff on my D drive, but for some reason warframe needs room on the C drive. I have uninstalled and reintstalled this game 4 different times so updated files go to the D drive. Yet after so many updates my C drive fills and becomes to full to download new updates. 

How/Why do I get warframe to just go to the D drive only?

Things I have tried-

-disk clean up

-deleting/uninstalling unused programs/data

Other than that i dont know. Not a tech savy person and am at the point of taking my PC to a tech to reformat. 

Clear internet History and Temporary Internet Files. Defragment likely won't work if the drive is that full. What is the storage capacityfor your C drive?

You can download the free version of https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

It helps clean out unwanted files.

Edited by Lightsmith

Just ran the scan the WinSXS doesnt seem very big its a folder called WRData taking up 51 GB alone and when i look into it its a bunch of folders for internet browsers, some i don't nor ever had.

Cool, Checking youtube

WRData folder looks to be related to WebRoot Antivirus. I've never heard of this program but if it's not a paid package you may want to uninstall it and replace it with Avast or another free antivirus package.