The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Bad Gpu Load - Is Anyone Else Having These Problems?

--FORMA--

Ok, so I've been having a problem with GPU loads, mainly in mission.

On the Liset, I would have 81°C GPU temps, which is normal, but on missions it would have a maximum of around 75°C and sometimes even as low as 66°C.

Also, along with this I've been going to around 40-50 FPS during missions. 

I know this has something to do with Warframe because I recently updated my drivers (clean installation) and I still had these problems.

Anyone else have these problems?

Low temps are GOOD, not BAD.

You want to cap your fps so it DOES NOT go to 81C on the liset.

You really don't need that 200fps the GPU is pumping unless you're running a high refresh rate monitor, which I doubt you do. Cap it at 72.

Why does it go to 40-50 fps in missions?

There's a lot more going on.

If you want more FPS reduce graphics quality, it might help.

Low temps are GOOD, not BAD.

You want to cap your fps so it DOES NOT go to 81C on the liset.

You really don't need that 200fps the GPU is pumping unless you're running a high refresh rate monitor, which I doubt you do. Cap it at 72.

Why does it go to 40-50 fps in missions?

There's a lot more going on.

If you want more FPS reduce graphics quality, it might help.

I know low temps are good, but in this case, it means the load is low when it is supposed to be working to get 60fps at least.

Warframe seems to hate 8 core cpus or cpus with 4 cores and multi-threading. Also going with more than 60 reduces input lag. In my case 60 fps yields 15/16Ms and 250 is about 4Ms. The difference is very much noticeable when you move your mouse really quick.

You can't get good performance in Warframe if there are a lot of enemies or if the host is going with less FPS then you. 

I've done a lot of research into Warframe and can't seem to get any conclusive results. I have and AMD 8320e@ 4.7Ghz and AMD Fury X / Nvidia 980 TI both yield the same results, between 20 to 40fps in the void and about 450 in the liset. From all 8 cores on my CPU Warframe always stresses mostly one with peaks up to 99% for that core, the others are usually at 30%/40%. In conclusion all we need is some DX12 to reduce the CPU overhead.

Warframe is CPU limited in most cases involving a dedicated GPU. In your liset, your CPU has nothing to do, in game however, it is constantly updating enemies, loading in new enemies, calculating trajectories, Calculating your health, fetching textures off your hard drive, syncing you with your buddies etc. This brings your frame-rate down. More so than the GPU since the GPU doesn't get worked as hard (as far as warframe is concerned).

You should cap your frame-rate to double your monitor's refresh rate if you really want to keep the input lag down. Having your GPU burn through frames like that wont do it any good. Heat shortens the lifespan of your components, don't burn them unnecessarily. Granted, the lifespan of the chip may be way longer than you will keep it, but it is better to be safe than sorry since you don't need 200fps+, even if you have a 144Hz monitor.

Edited by MillbrookWest