Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Long Will This Set Up Lasted For?

Ibro156

Am new to building a PC. Only did it few times when I was six with my cousin, but now am seventeen. As well working to get parts together.

Anyway here spec:

-GTX 970 Ti

-16 GB Ram

-Hyper Evo 212

-Intel i5 4690k

-MSI Z97 Intel 5 Gaming Motherboard

-1 Terabyte Hard drive

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

-600 Watt Brozen Citified

-Tower Case with built in fans (can be manually turned off/on)

-Four silent fans (to replace on with case)

-Decent Gaming Keyboard and Mouse

-1080p Monitor

All costing me about £780. So is this decent build and how long should it last for me?

Edited by Ibro156

Intel 5 should be fine, but is likely going to soon be outclassed by Intel 7. I'd give it 3-5 years before most AAA games start needing higher base requirements.

16gb of RAM won't leave you wanting all too often or too quickly. A good 5 solid years at the least before that much starts becoming the norm. Right now it's around 6-8.

1TB HD space will quickly be limited if you like to have a lot of games. They just keep getting exponentially bigger.

I'd imagine you'll likely be forced to upgrade to Windows 10 down the line, so that shouldn't be much an issue.

Graphics card is pretty nice. Don't imagine you'll need much better for, again, a good 5 or so years.

The rest is just casing and other physical hardware, which, as long as they get the job done, they last until they break.

I would go with Windows 10 over windows 7 if you want to extend the life of the PC since DX12 is currently only for Win10. Any new game that leverage DX12 will not do so with W7.

Also the 970 is a great card, but it may not have the legs to properly last a decent amount more. If you plan to upgrade the 970 when it's legs do start showing then it is a great purchase for your build for the time being :)

The Frostbyte engine (for example) pushes the 970 very close to it's 3.5GB 'actual' VRAM limit.... The last 500MB is a driver buffer (i guess you could call it). So yeah, it will do you good for the time being, but maybe in 2017 you will be turning down a few settings here and there, predominantly 'texture' quality settings to fit within the VRAM the card has.  

EDIT:

This is on the presumption of a no-compromise approach. If you are happy with turning down the odd setting here and there as the years go by the set-up listed will easily see you ~4 years for 1080p gaming ;)

Edited by MillbrookWest

Okay, nice to know it going to last for awhile. I am planing on replacing some the parts down the line. Also I was told getting windows 7, will allow you to get windows 10 for free. So I thought it would be cheaper option.

I wouldn't get an i5 now. Either swap motherboard and get a octacore from AMD or spend a couple more dollars/euro/pounds/whatever and get an i7

As for gfx card's amd is the way to go in terms of price/performance. if you dont intend to play at higher resolutions then 1080p one r9 380 4gb is more then enough for any game out there right now maxxed settings. And it only costs about 215-240 €

Edited by Mr.Pava

Okay, nice to know it going to last for awhile. I am planing on replacing some the parts down the line. Also I was told getting windows 7, will allow you to get windows 10 for free. So I thought it would be cheaper option.

The price for windows 10 and 7 (at least where i am) are the same, so you won't save any money.

Going with the Windows 10 install off the bat means you avoid the process of upgrading an OS. While the Windows 10 upgrade is seamless, almost everyone recommends clean installs of software, so just go with Windows 10 to begin with and save yourself the potential for headache down the road ;)

The price for windows 10 and 7 (at least where i am) are the same, so you won't save any money.

Going with the Windows 10 install off the bat means you avoid the process of upgrading an OS. While the Windows 10 upgrade is seamless, almost everyone recommends clean installs of software, so just go with Windows 10 to begin with and save yourself the potential for headache down the road ;)

Okay, I don't much about this OS. I'll do some more research on the windows 10. Also thanks for the warning :)