Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zora's Workshop (new Nyx skin concept)

Zoracraft

Have homework now... And need an argon scope before torment dies...

Uggghhhh, need to skin too.

I will update the thread with progress when I have time to work on the skin. In the meantime, everyone is welcome to chime in on how to do the leg transitions.

Pretty please?

(Puppy dog eyes)

I think this whole waiting for feedback thing only slows you down. Remember, soft deadline is early February which can be next week. Missed that and you need to wait 1-2 months for round 3

Yeah, I know. I can't work on the skin for a few days probably, so I thought this would be a good time to get a consensus on design.

I probably will go with the Native-American inspired style, as it would add a bit of cultural reference to the skin like other warframe skins have, and tie in to the skin name. I just hope it looks ok...

I think that the transitions at the hip and elbow are too straight. There are a lot of nice curvy details in DE's sculpt that you could utilize by making your colors follow those. Also it would be cool to see the line on the hips draw up along the side of the body accentuating the shape of the hips, similar to the way a bikini does. And the elbows could do the same, drawing further up the arm toward the bisep and down the arm along the inside of the elbow.

Hope that helps.

I think that the transitions at the hip and elbow are too straight. There are a lot of nice curvy details in DE's sculpt that you could utilize by making your colors follow those. Also it would be cool to see the line on the hips draw up along the side of the body accentuating the shape of the hips, similar to the way a bikini does. And the elbows could do the same, drawing further up the arm toward the bisep and down the arm along the inside of the elbow.

Hope that helps.

The most direct feedback yet :D

Though, I don't really want it to look like a bikini... But, I will try to get a design out that takes some of these suggestions without looking too... Suggestive

Ok, so the plan so far is this...

1: finish re-coloring all major areas to appear like the skin concept (in general)

2: add more curve to tint 1 and 2 borders on the arms and hips (but add design on hip transition, to avoid making it look like a swimsuit o____O)

3: add the chest decals, as per the design (if you can't see it, it looks like a stylized tornado made out of a few lines on her chest piece)

4: All of the fins get turned to tint 4, as per the concept

5: Fix any unforeseen problems that turn up (can be done as needed)

And that's pretty much it for the tint mask. Next...

6: edit the Emmisive mask to get the thunderbolts on the skin

And, if I can figure out how to, and can edit it in time...

7: edit normal and other maps to look less like standard Zephyr, and more like my concept.

I'm going to play the event for a bit, will probably work on this tomorrow if I can. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post, as always.

Zoracraft

Ok, 1 on the list is pretty much done

pwjzPSg.png?1I4T6ZbF.png?1

Worked on 2 a bit, haven't made the transition design, but changed up the angles on the hip and arm transitions

Skin has some rough areas, will definitely need some fine tuning before moving to emmisive mask.

What do you guys think?

Edit: forgot to mention, I put the helmet back on to test if the default would clash with my skin. seems ok to me, if it seems odd to you guys, let me know

Edited by Zoracraft

More progress. Laying out the decorative strips, and trying to get them to go perpendicular to the border.

XVbrmb5.png?1XxPrBJn.png?1

Only got to work on the skin a little bit tonight. had to finick with my headset for an hour when all it needed was to be restarted DX

As always, feedback is appreciated

So, step 2 seems to be complete. Take a look.

lIBCfa9.png?1HaI8uJ0.png?1

Just need to work on her chest decals, adjust the tail a bit, then add the tint 4. Then tint mask looks done!

If anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please post. I would like to fix anything that could be wrong quickly before I submit the skin.

Edited by Zoracraft

You should try to make your tint masks in a way that follows the underline forms of the model for a better result :)

Noted, though I only have a few deviations, which I felt were needed to balance the design while keeping with the theme. For example, the waist transition could have followed the form of Zephyr's... Protrusion, but that would have A: made it look like a skimpy swimsuit, which I have actively been trying to avoid, and B: would have caused complications when connecting Zephyr's front and back. While my design may seem a little odd for not sticking to that obvious curves of her model, I believed that the alternative would have yielded a worse result when I was creating the concept and tint mask. As for the armor piece-like color swapping on her arms, I did this to repeat the idea that this is a set of armor, and not clothing like the waist transition could suggest.

Most everything else seems to follow Zephyr's design pretty closely. However, if there are any specific examples that you think detract from the value of the skin, please let me know. Your feedback is very valuable because, as the artist, I see the skin like the concept in my head, not necessarily as it appears to a new user, so any more feedback would be appreciated, to overcome any biases I cannot see.

*Watches Devstream 68*

*Hears Rebecca say that the Tennogen Round 2 Deadline is February 11*

*Realizes that that is this Thursday, and that the skin should be on the workshop prior to that to get circulation*

*Has Panic Attack*

So, I'm going to have to make time to work on this, If I want to get it into the contest. The plan is this:

-Finish Breastplate and Tail

-EMMISIVE MASK (Hopefully being able to use the layering trick mentioned previously, to use her diffuse or other mask as a guide)

-Depending on time remaining, release skin as is as a release candidate 1

After that, hope and pray it gets accepted, or into possible addition status.

If it gets there, I can probably edit some of the other masks to make the skin more cohesive. This is going to be a big time crunch though, I hope I can get it.

-snip-

I think that's not the "curve" everyone mentioned. The curve everybody mentioned is the flowing curving pattern within the design. People are trying to tell you to use that for your advantage, they're not trying to tell you to divide your tint mask based on body curve. Because right now you're just dividing your tint mask without regarding that flow and it ended up breaking the pattern and visual details

I think that's not the "curve" everyone mentioned. The curve everybody mentioned is the flowing curving pattern within the design. People are trying to tell you to use that for your advantage, they're not trying to tell you to divide your tint mask based on body curve. Because right now you're just dividing your tint mask without regarding that flow and it ended up breaking the pattern and visual details

First, thanks for the feedback, I can always use more of it.

Second, I used the default curves a bit to help define the arms transition. On the upper part of the arm, you can see that it follows a curve that was in the original skin.

One of the problems I saw with Zephyr's default skin is that there is a lot of clutter, where all four tints are in a close area. When I made the tint mask, I was concentrated on remedying that issue, I guess I didn't consider that I could use the intricate designs to accomplish that goal. It's probably too late to try to re-introduce those curves In the finished parts of the design, but I can try to incorporate them in spirit in the chest plate design.

If there are any specific areas in the default skin that you want me to try to re-incorporate, please tell me, and I will see if I can get it done. I'm sorry I didn't get the suggestions originally, but I'm struggling to even get my simple design finished unfortunately :(

So, here is release candidate 1

r0Y91xf.png?1BLSE1PO.png?1

Skin will likely be up on the workshop in minutes. Feel free to vote, as you please.

Also, if anyone knows how to turn a 1024x1024 png file into a 2048x2048 png file (in Krita), please tell me. Some of the assets are only 1024x1024, yet the workshop says that they need to be 2048x2048. I don't know why they are too small, I didn't mess with the sizes (except with tint mask, where I tried to fix it), but apparently they are. They work fine in the previewer though, so I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not.

Edited by Zoracraft

Well, it's not a few minutes, but the skin is pending to the workshop. Will update OP when it's on workshop

Any submission is instantly accepted to the steam workshop. Pending means pending for DE's approval for game acceptance. But if it still didn't show up in warframe workshop page, then you probably haven't insert your bank account information. You can access it by going to your profile then go to your workshop page

You just got downvotes? You really should work on presentation though, you cant just put whatever and expect people to like it when they can't even see it. I suggest you to open up some popular submission and try to copy and make something similar to what they are doing (in terms of images, layouts ecc).

Remember that presentation is sometimes more important than the artwork itself if you want to convince people that what you're offering is good.

You just got downvotes? You really should work on presentation though, you cant just put whatever and expect people to like it when they can't even see it. I suggest you to open up some popular submission and try to copy and make something similar to what they are doing (in terms of images, layouts ecc).

Remember that presentation is sometimes more important than the artwork itself if you want to convince people that what you're offering is good.

Yeah, the original picture was just a quick and dirty thumbnail I made to get it up. There are now front and back pictures of 4 sets of colorations, so everyone feel free to check it out.

To anyone that was worrying, the skin is "street legal" now. It was 1024x1024, now it is 2048x2048. Appearance didn't change much, curves look a bit better though.

I don't think I can do anything to make it better now. The updated version is on the workshop. Going to post some pics there of my custom color set, then I think I'm done. Thanks everyone for your support and feedback. See you on the other side of the contest (hopefully!).

182 upvotes

1627 downvotes

194 ask me later's

As of present time

I know HitsuSan absolutely killed the competition, but I didn't think people would hate my skin :(

Maybe DE will accept more than one Zephyr skin. I really like Skeiron and Hagoromo, but obviously I want my skin in the game too...