Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do I Help My Brother Out? [Ps4]

(PSN)Raikeran

Question

My brother shows a genuine interest in playing the game, but everytime he does, he falls short and loses patience. I try to help him with the modding process, but it usually confuses him. He recently got Mesa, and is trying out some regular weapons like Tetra and Magnus [which he already dislikes], and prefers bows and rapid pistols. His combat really needs some work, he usually switches to melee to fight. He also gets tired quickly from playing in a short amount of time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TL;DR, my older brother is a newtenno and needs to git gud.

8 answers to this question

Nothing wrong with meleeing things. 

Introduce him to some of the more interesting weapons, and ease him into the more unique stuff.

He likes bows, so the Opticor may be a good transitional weapon, and maybe the Hikou instead of a machine pistol.

If he keeps switching to melee, maybe get him some of the more interesting melee weapons, like the Mios, Glaive, or Redeemer, as well as some stances.

Nothing wrong with meleeing things.

Introduce him to some of the more interesting weapons, and ease him into the more unique stuff.

He likes bows, so the Opticor may be a good transitional weapon, and maybe the Hikou instead of a machine pistol.

If he keeps switching to melee, maybe get him some of the more interesting melee weapons, like the Mios, Glaive, or Redeemer, as well as some stances.

He seems to strongly dislike the grind of the game with the weapons I showed him [hates how Redeemer looks], and often messes up while doing melee. Edited by (PS4)Raikeran

Filthy casual.

Kidding - my wife was pretty similar.  She ended up quitting because she didn't like it - mainly the manual camera that she didn't like.  Come to think of it, he sounds like me when I started playing too (same weapons, same oops guess I'll just melee and screw up then).

Take him to the obstacle course!  Personally, I love bows but I was really terrible at maintaining range.  What finally got me better was when Parkour 2.0 hit I spent a lot of time in the obstacle course learning how to move.  It made me a lot better with a bow since I could just bullet jump away and get my shots right, but I had to get comfortable with it.  Have him unequip his melee weapon and do exterminates on Earth once he starts really getting the movement down.

Do you guys live together, or play online?  If you live together, just pass the controller back and forth and make a challenge out of it.

Get him a Speed Trigger mod asap if you haven't already, and maybe have him make a Daikyu - it being an actual weapon is kinda cool.  Or, get him a Paris Prime.  That prime bling.

I'd say get him Akboltos, but that travel time can be frustrating against ospreys.  Maybe Akmagnus?  Or Akstiletto if he's into John Woo things.

Does he like Mesa for the western feel?  Maybe show him the Sybaris?

For the love of God, don't try to explain mods to him until he finds a reason to keep playing.  It's complicated enough to drive people on the fence to the wrong side.  Same with Syndicates.

Oh, and maybe get him a Nova.  Nothing makes bows easier to use than Molecular Prime, except the sleep skills.

Filthy casual.

Kidding - my wife was pretty similar.  She ended up quitting because she didn't like it - mainly the manual camera that she didn't like.  Come to think of it, he sounds like me when I started playing too (same weapons, same oops guess I'll just melee and screw up then).

Take him to the obstacle course!  Personally, I love bows but I was really terrible at maintaining range.  What finally got me better was when Parkour 2.0 hit I spent a lot of time in the obstacle course learning how to move.  It made me a lot better with a bow since I could just bullet jump away and get my shots right, but I had to get comfortable with it.  Have him unequip his melee weapon and do exterminates on Earth once he starts really getting the movement down.

Do you guys live together, or play online?  If you live together, just pass the controller back and forth and make a challenge out of it.

Get him a Speed Trigger mod asap if you haven't already, and maybe have him make a Daikyu - it being an actual weapon is kinda cool.  Or, get him a Paris Prime.  That prime bling.

I'd say get him Akboltos, but that travel time can be frustrating against ospreys.  Maybe Akmagnus?  Or Akstiletto if he's into John Woo things.

Does he like Mesa for the western feel?  Maybe show him the Sybaris?

For the love of God, don't try to explain mods to him until he finds a reason to keep playing.  It's complicated enough to drive people on the fence to the wrong side.  Same with Syndicates.

Oh, and maybe get him a Nova.  Nothing makes bows easier to use than Molecular Prime, except the sleep skills.

That's.. actually pretty reasonable. The only thing I need to do now is build the Obstacle Course.. assuming i have forma

Though we both considered the Daikyu, I kept denying it because of its sloow charge speed, but I guess a maxed Speed Trigger and a Shred can make up for it. We do live together, though I wished we had a second PS4 so trading can be an option.

He is currently using the single Magnus for mastery before the Ak, but he isn't doing so well. He didn't consider Nova, but Atlas and Banshee was on the list.

Hopefully I have the Paris Prime parts he needs so he can build it right away, but I'm not sure how I can trade them to him right now.

Thanks.

I like to use share play so I you are on seperate consoles and the upload speed is sustainable you can watch him play his game and even let him give you control so you can place mods and show him stuff and then once you are finished give control back to him and then play on forever

You say he switches to melee.  Does he like to use melee weapon or it's because he's having trouble hitting enemies with his primary and secondary? If he's having trouble using guns and stuff, try caster frames or more melee friendly frames while getting use to the controls.  Have him try different types of primary and secondary weapons to see which suits his play style/combat level.  If he's having trouble aiming, maybe use weapons that have good aoe, like Ignis, Amprex, and Atomos with ruinous extension.  He could also try shotguns like Hex and Sobek which is a bit more forgiving so even if you don't aim perfectly, you can still hit the enemies.  You mention he likes bows.  See if you can help him get a Dread, and also see if he likes Cernos or Paris and then upgrade to Rakta Cernos (if or when he hits rank 12) or Paris Prime later.

That's.. actually pretty reasonable. The only thing I need to do now is build the Obstacle Course.. assuming i have forma

Though we both considered the Daikyu, I kept denying it because of its sloow charge speed, but I guess a maxed Speed Trigger and a Shred can make up for it. We do live together, though I wished we had a second PS4 so trading can be an option.

He is currently using the single Magnus for mastery before the Ak, but he isn't doing so well. He didn't consider Nova, but Atlas and Banshee was on the list.

Hopefully I have the Paris Prime parts he needs so he can build it right away, but I'm not sure how I can trade them to him right now.

Thanks.

You could use a third person to hold trades.  ...I'm not sure of the legality/legitimacy of this - it might look like smurfing - you might want to send [DE]Danielle a message just in case - getting banned because stuff was being traded between two accounts on the same console would stink.  It was on my list of things to look into, and then my wife made it irrelevant by losing interest.  

In my newbie hands - the perfectly flat flight path of the Daikyu more than compensated for its charge speed and mechanic - was a lot less frustrating at the 30-50 meters I try to play at than the arc on the Mk-1 Paris.

The two of you need help with anything, send me a message here or in game - all I'm doing for the foreseeable future is farming cores and polymer bundles and neurodes, and I could use a break from that grind :).