Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Something That Might Make Focus Actives More Relevant And Fun

Guardian_Legion

So I was thinking about the focus powers the other day and I realized something. They are just like limit breaks from Final fantasy. After this I thought of the limit break system of final fantasy 10. The result of that is this idea.

So each of the focus trees has a theme correct? Well what if we could unlock passives that give slight charges to our focus powers to decrease cooldowns when we do something to match that theme. More specifically think of it this way. In each tree there is a way the is linked to the central way.

For madurai, kill an enemy to charge your focus.

vazarin heal your self or someone else to charge your focus power

unariu take dmg

zenurik knockdowns and other forms of CC

naramon lay on a status ailment

Now once you unlock said way on the tree choosing screen there will be a branch that goes towards the center. You can choose 1 of the charging ways that you have unlocked on that screen.

Here is an example, I play a trinity with naramon. I choose the vazarin charge. as i heal my party, then my focus gets charged and decreases my cooldowns. Now I can use my mind spike more actively because I can actively effect my cooldown and use my focus power as an active part of combat.

Edited by Legionofone

while I like the concept, some of these would be far easier to accomplish than others (Vazarin in particular kinda defeats the purpose seeing as you need allies to be low on HP so you CAN heal them with your Focus ability) and it would also require being able to link a focus tree to a particular frame rather than having to change it separately. Charging my Vazarin Focus by your suggestion would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE without pads when I'm playing Frost, Valk, Zephyr, or 90% of the frames in general, whereas Unariu would be SUPER easy to charge. and Loki would find Zenuric VERY difficult to charge seeing as he has almost no CC.

I like the IDEA of treating them more like Limit Breaks, however the current model for everything else focus-related makes it nigh on impossible to implement effectively, on top of pretty much requiring you to unlock EVERY tree if you're a player who constantly swaps frames just so you can benefit from the "Limit Break Potential". It's good, I like it, but the idea as a whole needs a ton of work

while I like the concept, some of these would be far easier to accomplish than others (Vazarin in particular kinda defeats the purpose seeing as you need allies to be low on HP so you CAN heal them with your Focus ability) and it would also require being able to link a focus tree to a particular frame rather than having to change it separately. Charging my Vazarin Focus by your suggestion would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE without pads when I'm playing Frost, Valk, Zephyr, or 90% of the frames in general, whereas Unariu would be SUPER easy to charge. and Loki would find Zenuric VERY difficult to charge seeing as he has almost no CC.

I like the IDEA of treating them more like Limit Breaks, however the current model for everything else focus-related makes it nigh on impossible to implement effectively, on top of pretty much requiring you to unlock EVERY tree if you're a player who constantly swaps frames just so you can benefit from the "Limit Break Potential". It's good, I like it, but the idea as a whole needs a ton of work

the whole point is that you choose which form of charging to use. Refer to my example where I use a trinity running naramon but charge using the vazarin charge. Also every frame has access to knockdowns due to melee and bullet jumps. Healing can be accomplished thru winds of purity or life strike. Status procs can be done through weapons. Also loki has radial disarm which is cc. I have accounted for those thing in the original post so please re-read it sinc you seem to have missed them.

As a side note Unairu would be easy to charge but I assumed that it would be very obvious that different ones would charge at a different rate. I'm not suggesting that you charge a second per 1 dmg. im saying 3 seconds for 100 dmg as opposed to a second per status ailment etc

Why for Zenurik is something related to CC and knockdown and not something like using a certain amount of skills like let's say use 15 skills to decrease the cooldown for 30secs?

because any frame can cc using things like bullet jump and melee whereas certain frames like chroma can't spam abilities. furthermore

They believed the clearest path to victory was to Dominate the Enemy. They sought to choke an opponent of all resources; that sheer strength could erase any resistance.

this to me links up more to cc since if i am healing ppl with trinity I'm not dominatiing the enemy

Edited by Legionofone

the whole point is that you choose which form of charging to use. Refer to my example where I use a trinity running naramon but charge using the vazarin charge. Also every frame has access to knockdowns due to melee and bullet jumps. Healing can be accomplished thru winds of purity or life strike. Status procs can be done through weapons. Also loki has radial disarm which is cc. I have accounted for those thing in the original post so please re-read it sinc you seem to have missed them.

As a side note Unairu would be easy to charge but I assumed that it would be very obvious that different ones would charge at a different rate. I'm not suggesting that you charge a second per 1 dmg. im saying 3 seconds for 100 dmg as opposed to a second per status ailment etc

because any frame can cc using things like bullet jump and melee whereas certain frames like chroma can't spam abilities. furthermore

They believed the clearest path to victory was to Dominate the Enemy. They sought to choke an opponent of all resources; that sheer strength could erase any resistance.

this to me links up more to cc since if i am healing ppl with trinity I'm not dominatiing the enemy

you don't want to limit the players, Winds of Purity works ONLY on the Furis, not the AFuris or the Dex furis, the singular one, that isn't even remotely worth using. and you also don't want to limit players to both HAVING to use a rare mod, or to limiting themselves to using Life Strike just to charge an ability. If you were around during the era of the Arcane Helmets than DE has already expressed an unwillingness to limit players, as the whole reason the helmets were removed was to not have players feel "forced" to use certain things just to get the mechanical advantage. and that was something as minor as a cosmetic, DE would NEVER implement something that limited players to channeling melee, playing one of 3 frames that can heal, or using an old useless weapon with a rare syndicate-only mod.

and if you can swap around what "charge" you utilize, than what's the entire point of the charges being separate or linked to their respective fields. you quoted the doctrine for justifying how Zenuric charges, but if you can throw that on any of the foci then there's no point in the justification other than "I wanted to" and it ruins the entire point

regardless, the whole argument is moot simply because DE is ALREADY implementing a quick-charge mechanic in the form of enemy drops that'll insta-charge your ability and give you bonus focus for a time.

you don't want to limit the players, Winds of Purity works ONLY on the Furis, not the AFuris or the Dex furis, the singular one, that isn't even remotely worth using. and you also don't want to limit players to both HAVING to use a rare mod, or to limiting themselves to using Life Strike just to charge an ability. If you were around during the era of the Arcane Helmets than DE has already expressed an unwillingness to limit players, as the whole reason the helmets were removed was to not have players feel "forced" to use certain things just to get the mechanical advantage. and that was something as minor as a cosmetic, DE would NEVER implement something that limited players to channeling melee, playing one of 3 frames that can heal, or using an old useless weapon with a rare syndicate-only mod.

and if you can swap around what "charge" you utilize, than what's the entire point of the charges being separate or linked to their respective fields. you quoted the doctrine for justifying how Zenuric charges, but if you can throw that on any of the foci then there's no point in the justification other than "I wanted to" and it ruins the entire point

regardless, the whole argument is moot simply because DE is ALREADY implementing a quick-charge mechanic in the form of enemy drops that'll insta-charge your ability and give you bonus focus for a time.

first off Trinity, equinox, oberon, fire chroma, hydroid with curative undertow, health orbs from nekros desecrate, haven limbo, they all have team heals. Wukong, saryn, and valkyr have self heals. That is definitely more than three frames. I forgot nezha so that is one more.

In regards to having the charge of a different focus think of it like this. In Mixed martial arts you use techniques from several different schools. You might use karate or kung fu for fighting on your feet, and you might use judo for grapples, and jujitsu for takedowns. The Tenno are super soldiers, and there is no reason to believe that they cannot learn to use more than one focus or to take what they have learned from other focus schools and implement it in another to make it more powerful.

And from what I know of what was shared in devstream focus is going to be effected by shared affinity and have drops that increse how much you get for a short time, but I don't recall the devteam saying anything about those drops fully charging your focus. If you could cite your source that would be appreciated

Edited by Legionofone

• 1 month later...