Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alert Item Reworks

MechNexus

The current alert system is poorly designed.

Here's why:

1. A good portion of the world is asleep or at work. There will be the oddballs who have days off or do all-nighters, but are the minority.

2. If you miss an alert, you have to wait an unknown amount of time until they decide to put an alert on. There hasn't been a glaive alert in forever, no potatoes until recently, and no vauban pieces since update 8 dropped. If he was a boss reward, i'd have him by now.

3. Very few players bother with reward-less missions unless they offer a lot of money. Which is also pretty rare.

And here's the proposed fix, and how it can fix the above problems:

Instead, have every alert award a token, or more for higher level missions, and add a second shop (Probably the lotus black market or something) where people exchange said tokens for the alert parts. Say, 20 tokens to get a glaive? 10-30 for a vauban piece? set the prices to whatever you see fit.

However, alert frequency must be toned down - Only one alert will ever be active at once. It won't ever be in the same order, though - It just picks a planet at random that hasn't been one of the last 5 planets where an alert has been active.

So, 13 planets, right? Every hour or two, an alert could activate - Either for a full hour or just 20 minutes. This would make sure that there would still be some difficulty (or wait, depending on how you see it) to getting alert items.

Now, onto how it solves the problems:

1. No matter where you are in the world, there is always going to be an alert whenever you have time off or are awake.

2. No more waiting for specific alerts.

3. Every alert is worth the effort.

Discuss this - Anything to change here? Is it actually better?

This actually seems like a really good idea, someone also mentioned the idea of getting "void tokens" at the end of void missions and being able to swap them for specific void rewards (bp's etc) but somehow I dont see DE implementing it, because;

A) people would either get the warframes/weapons/rewards they want pretty easily and then complain that there isn't enough content 

and/or

B) people wouldn't get so mad at silly droprates and thus would not go and buy the item with platinum instead...

I've noticed that in my experience of playing f2p games, i'm 10x more likely to spend money on it if I really, REALLY like the game, not because I was forced to.

I only bought cosmetics, slots and a volt helm with my founder plat.

Edited by MechNexus

I don't want a token system. With the current system I only have to log on and do one alert to get the item I want. I'm more than happy to wait for it to show up when I am available. Adding a token system is just adding more stuff to grind. I don't think Warframe needs more grind.

Still a lot better than sitting around waiting for that one alert to show up and hoping to the random number god that it doesn't show up while you're asleep/working/visiting family/cooking/shopping/any situation where you can't play warframe.

I agree that the alert system needs work. But keep in mind that nobody "decides" to put out an alert, unless it's a special post-livestream potato. RNG is RNG. The vast majority of warframe players regardless of location is not playing for a majority of the day, whenever the day is. It's just the fairest way to do things.

That said, this 2000cr alert fest is annoying as hell and needs to be changed. I don't know about a token system, but just having every alert have some kind of reward ought to be good enough. And I don't mean 2000 credits, I mean good amounts of resources blueprints, consumables, experience (like the daily reward things) , large bundles of credits, and things along those lines. That way every alert is very much worth doing to someone, and more worth doing to everyone else than non-alert missions. Would speed up the farming grind a bit as well, with the resource rewards.

Edited by Meenmu

Still a lot better than sitting around waiting for that one alert to show up and hoping to the random number god that it doesn't show up while you're asleep/working/visiting family/cooking/shopping/any situation where you can't play warframe.

This is better in your mind. I would much rather spend my time doing stuff I want to do. I don't want to have to run 30 alerts to get 1 item. I want to wait for that item to pop and then go get it in a single run.

Another option that you may not have thought of: Why not both?

At the end of an alert mission, when you are dropped back to the lobby, each player is given a choice of some random alert drop item, a token, bonus credits or bonus XP (split among weapons/frames/sentinel). 

Random drops are part of the game, taking them out may be against the dev's vision. there are also some items they may not want to have in a store and be very rare, so these can appear only as alert rewards, but if the reward isn't what you want, you can always choose tokens (or money, or XP) over it. 

there's my two creds

Then how about we add a slot machine that uses the alert tokens? If you get what you want, you've spent possibly less tokens overall. Best of both worlds.

Also, have you ever considered that the one critical alert you need to do could happen while you're doing other stuff you want to do?

EDIT: Damn you ten, I was replying to the guy above ye :V

Edited by MechNexus

Then how about we add a slot machine that uses the alert tokens? If you get what you want, you've spent possibly less tokens overall. Best of both worlds.

Also, have you ever considered that the one critical alert you need to do could happen while you're doing other stuff you want to do?

EDIT: Damn you ten, I was replying to the guy above ye :V

I'll let you in on a secret. Some times I sleep and the world doesn't stop. This doesn't bother me because the world keeps on spinning and things don't disappear just because I didn't get it this time.

A slot machine doesn't solve the issue of people going from 1 alert to get the item to some unknown number greater than 1. If the items are 20 tokens each I have to run 20 times. If the tokens let me spin the wheel I'm probably not going to the item I want in 1 run either.

Issue with the idea of a token system.

The alerts aren't well, interesting. They're just regular missions, and as there are basically only 4~ missions total that means that I'm going to be doing those same missions, over and over again.

Say I need grind for 20 tokens to get something, then I'm going to get sick and tired of running through the same content after maybe 9~ alerts.
The game does not have enough content for this to work.

Hell, the only reason I continue playing right now is because of trying out frames/weapons I haven't used. The actual playable content dried up after maybe 4 hours of play.

I can't see a token system being anything other than a grindy hell until the game has more than 4 missions worth of content.

I can't see a token system being anything other than a grindy hell until the game has more than 4 missions worth of content.

I can see where you're coming from here - Making the alert missions incredibly difficult (and thus lowering the initially suggested item costs) could help add some variety to it.

I am okay with the current alert system. We just need less of those pesky 200 credit reward missions, maybe they should be replaced with material reward?

For example, one control module, orokin cell, neurode, neural sensor or 500 plastids, hell, even 1000 ferrite would pique my interest so I'd jump for the alert with glee.

Counter suggestion. Instead of an alert like every half hour, maybe only an alert every 6-8 hours, but every alert is guaranteed to have something nice someone might want. :p

I am okay with the current alert system. We just need less of those pesky 200 credit reward missions, maybe they should be replaced with material reward?

For example, one control module, orokin cell, neurode, neural sensor or 500 plastids, hell, even 1000 ferrite would pique my interest so I'd jump for the alert with glee.

I think a lot of us would LOVE this.
Edited by unmog

Counter suggestion. Instead of an alert like every half hour, maybe only an alert every 6-8 hours, but every alert is guaranteed to have something nice someone might want. :p

I think a lot of us would LOVE this.

I actually like the 2k alerts. Soon I will have 4 million credits. I do a lot of alerts because they provide a break from farming runs. Fewer alerts is not the right direction to go.

Also, resource rewards are coming.