The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Bad Performance/ping/fps/? (Windows 10 Update?)

RyanGo

TL:DR stop and go performance, only after updating windows 10.

As of today I started having performance issues with Warframe. Just yesterday things were running fine, I've been using lowest graphics setting and FPS is usually solid. I have an integrated graphics card, I play on a laptop and I've been on high performance settings. 

Today however, I started with an invasion mission for the catalyst and while things started choppy, eventually this became the rule rather than the exception during the mission, especially when more players joined. The game became extremely stop and go, with maybe 1-2 seconds of brief lucidity before freezing temporarily. while my fps counter (when it wasn't frozen) said i was running anywhere from 20-45 fps, right before and after freezing would occur I noticed my ping would suddenly increase and then decrease. As I played other missions, at times the game would freeze entirely for about a minute and all other players would no longer be in the squad when it unfroze.

I did manage to run a solo exterminate mission without problems, and I think that as the squad became more spread out across different tiles or I would get left behind, the problem would get worse significantly. In later public missions (though I was alone) I started encountering the same problems, with the game usually freezing completely and forcing me to restart my computer.

The only thing I can think of that caused this is that I had to update Windows 10 last night, I think my computer starts up a little slower now as well. Anyone having similar issues?

EDIT: just tried another public mission, got a warning telling me to close evolution engine because I was running low on memory...memory leak?

Edited by RyanGo

TL:DR stop and go performance, only after updating windows 10.

As of today I started having performance issues with Warframe. Just yesterday things were running fine, I've been using lowest graphics setting and FPS is usually solid. I have an integrated graphics card, I play on a laptop and I've been on high performance settings. 

Today however, I started with an invasion mission for the catalyst and while things started choppy, eventually this became the rule rather than the exception during the mission, especially when more players joined. The game became extremely stop and go, with maybe 1-2 seconds of brief lucidity before freezing temporarily. while my fps counter (when it wasn't frozen) said i was running anywhere from 20-45 fps, right before and after freezing would occur I noticed my ping would suddenly increase and then decrease. As I played other missions, at times the game would freeze entirely for about a minute and all other players would no longer be in the squad when it unfroze.

I did manage to run a solo exterminate mission without problems, and I think that as the squad became more spread out across different tiles or I would get left behind, the problem would get worse significantly. In later public missions (though I was alone) I started encountering the same problems, with the game usually freezing completely and forcing me to restart my computer.

The only thing I can think of that caused this is that I had to update Windows 10 last night, I think my computer starts up a little slower now as well. Anyone having similar issues?

EDIT: just tried another public mission, got a warning telling me to close evolution engine because I was running low on memory...memory leak?

You're not alone. I don't think it was with Windows 10 though, as other games run just fine for me. (Looking at games like MKX and Just Cause 2)

I started noticing the same problems you're noticing starting shortly after 18.2's update.

Running the base Alienware Alpha setup, so I should be more than capable to run this game without an issue.

(Which once the game gets going, I can. PhysX and all, but there's constant hitching.)

So as a little update, my performance stabilized after I allocated more virtual memory, but I still am having a memory leak problem. I have task manager open on the side and I can monitor the memory usage levels and when I'm in game it steadily begins rising. However, when I alt-tab out to the task manager, the memory drops down to relatively normal levels and stays more or less steady. I've been alt-tabbing regularly as a temporary solution.

You're not alone. I don't think it was with Windows 10 though, as other games run just fine for me. (Looking at games like MKX and Just Cause 2)

I started noticing the same problems you're noticing starting shortly after 18.2's update.

Running the base Alienware Alpha setup, so I should be more than capable to run this game without an issue.

(Which once the game gets going, I can. PhysX and all, but there's constant hitching.)

Was it exactly 18.2 and not just a hotfix? Because I think I was fine even up past 18.2.4

If there is anything causing you to lose memory then there is a good chance it should appear for us in an EE.log. Is there any chance you could submit a support ticket to us with a copy of this file?

Info on how to find your EE.log can be found here.

http://support.warframe.com for submitting tickets.

Thanks!

So as a little update, my performance stabilized after I allocated more virtual memory, but I still am having a memory leak problem. I have task manager open on the side and I can monitor the memory usage levels and when I'm in game it steadily begins rising. However, when I alt-tab out to the task manager, the memory drops down to relatively normal levels and stays more or less steady. I've been alt-tabbing regularly as a temporary solution.

Was it exactly 18.2 and not just a hotfix? Because I think I was fine even up past 18.2.4

It's been consistently stuttering for me at times. It never used to do this before 18.2.0. It gets me killed. It basically hangs my game for roughly 1 to even 15 seconds at times.

I noticed these issues starting with 18.2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a very similar problem. I'll try to describe it as accurate as I can (excuse my english pls).

Today I have installed Windows 10 and replaced my Windows 8.1 installation (current OS: 7 & 10). I have installed all and the newest drivers. (The AMD Driver is even the same version.) And I even use/used the same Steam and Warframe installation all time. Other games like LoL, CS:GO are not behaving differently. (I use a SSD for the Game and OS, I think I have set everything the same way as I had set up in Windows 8.1)

I had the same FPS on my Win 8.1 as on my Win 7. On both OS the game felt/feels fluent.

On Win 10 I still have the same FPS but it feels like half the fps at least. Moving around the mouse feels just awkward. The frame time right beside the FPS counter is double higher than in Windows 7 (I think also Win 8.1 but not 100% sure). It doesn't matter what settings I set: all graphics settings low/high ; fullscreen/windowed/both ; DX11/10 off. It' just constantly lagging and it's no fun at all playing like that. I'd say its unplayable or like playiing with 15 fps tho it shows 80-120 fps. That sucks.

I have submitted the ee log file. Should I also submit the Windows 7 log file for a possible comparison.

Edited by eyeopener

I think I found the cause for these problems (it seems to be fixed):

It is the launcher option 64-Bit which I can't understand because I have/had that turned on Win 7 and 8.1 ?!?!?! Frame Time goes back to normal level. And of course I have the Win 10 64-bit version installed.

EDIT:
But I still experience a few frame time spikes / lags where the game is stuttering.
It also happened that the frame time was again higher for 5-10 seconds in one mission.

EDIT (5th Ferbruary 2016):

IT GOT FIXED! "Improved frame rate consistency on certain systems." https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/605204-hotfix-1847/

Edited by eyeopener

• 2 months later...

well, well, well... That fix got overwritten by patch 18.5 and we're at 18.6.3 (almost 3 weeks) and I still have to play with awful performance -.-

Last time as I have complained about these performance issues it only took 2 weeks to fix. Now it seems they don't care.

Edited by eyeopener