The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Help To Record Warframe

The_Sharp_Demonologist

Question

Hello there,i need a litle hand here.

Im working on a Youtube channel i want to start and i want to start it with Warframe videos but im havint some problems.

Here is my first Warframe vid ever: https://youtu.be/9NQjUZMrVR8

As you can see the recording has severe frame hiccups and lag but the game itself doesnt lag. Its weird cause Heroe of the Storm (my other videos) doesnt lag as much, if at all and i have tried it with LoL and goes well too.

Im using Open Broadcaster Software to record since thats the one i saw Angry Joe using and it has a good reputation as far as i have seen. Warframe settings are on medium with shadows on Low and i had it set on Local so the Internet wasnt much of an issue.

If anyone who knows about this stuff can help me i would be very thankfull.

10 answers to this question

Do you have a NVIDIA card that's higher than a 600 series card? If you do, then you can use NVIDIA Shadowplay to use your graphics card to record content with really good bitrate (quality) and relatively tiny file sizes.

If you don't, then I'd advise you to check your bitrate on OBS and tweak the settings to prioritize FPS over quality. Try to get videos at least at 720p and 30fps.

If you are not running an appropriate nVidia card, PlaysTV is a solid option. The quality is unreal, and their file sizes are even more insane [meaning crazy small].

Here's a test clip I made with it so you can see for yourself. They have the option to upload to YouTube, so don't worry about only having to use their site: http://plays.tv/video/552c5044495d1b0832/-warframe?from=user

Do you have a NVIDIA card that's higher than a 600 series card? If you do, then you can use NVIDIA Shadowplay to use your graphics card to record content with really good bitrate (quality) and relatively tiny file sizes.

If you don't, then I'd advise you to check your bitrate on OBS and tweak the settings to prioritize FPS over quality. Try to get videos at least at 720p and 30fps.

I dont have NVidia card. I will check the options tough

yes , shadowplay is the way to go if you are running nvidia.

Does the recording on your hard drive look like this, or just after you upload to youtube?

It looks worst actually,

If you are not running an appropriate nVidia card, PlaysTV is a solid option. The quality is unreal, and their file sizes are even more insane [meaning crazy small].

Here's a test clip I made with it so you can see for yourself. They have the option to upload to YouTube, so don't worry about only having to use their site: http://plays.tv/video/552c5044495d1b0832/-warframe?from=user

Huh i will keep that in mind

A possible strategy to try and up your video quality is to record in mid-low quality, then render the video through a video editor like Vegas, and keep a high bitrate on it, so that your video gets compressed while not losing too much quality. I honestly can't provide direct numbers since computer performance is hardware dependent. It's a game of footsies with the numbers to see what works best.

in the end, you'll need to fiddle with OBS settings to get to what fits well within your Processor's capabilities, local storage space, intended video length, Upload speed, Et Cetera.

you'll just have to find a balance that lets you not go insane (like waiting 298753 hours to upload), while retaining as much quality as you can manage.

OBS is very popular, and works for a lot of people.

to be able to retain more quality while not losing performance, if you have a relatively up to date Intel Processor, somewhere in the settings you can enable Intel's Video Encoder that will offload most of the recording load to the iGPU on your Intel Processor.

you can then probably increase qualities up.

from your test clip, it looks like you're heavily dropping frames, even choking on Audio processing. this suggests that your recording quality is way too high for what your system (Processor specifically) can handle.

poking around in OBS's settings to see if certain proprietary technologies that OBS supports are things you also support could potentially help alleviate this issue. if not, you'll probably have to lower Video Quality, primarily Bit Rate.

ultimately software conflicts are also possible and can cause stuttering like that, but is much harder to diagnose let alone fix.

i do worry about the Processor's capabilities if you have settings on Warframe relatively low as it is, it suggests to me that Recording may not be very practical. but only time will tell.

- - - - - 

i'd mention Shadowplay as well as it's convenient, has a unique feature, very good quality with no impact on performance, nicely compact file sizes, Et Cetera, but not an option here so clearly not a solution.

I'd say go with PlaysTV if you can't find the correct settings with OBS(you gotta find the right bitrate or videos will come out blurry and you'll be lagging), it's really easy to use and the quality is like you see it while playing, it doesn't drop your FPS as much.

Well I hate Youtube pretty much, because I have no idea how to upload my video without meeting with quality butcher.

Yesterday made this video...

https://youtu.be/sMWgxO9fPWc

H.264

recorded - 1920x1080 60fps

rendered - 1920x1080 60fps

16000 bitrate

(Recorded via Shadowplay. Render Sony Vegas)

And youtube just make it look awful.

Some tips?

Edited by Sinice