Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Use Alternate Fire For Melee Charge Attacks

Jollyfalcon

This seemed like such an obvious idea to me that I am sure it has been suggested before, but I just haven't seen it.

Current charge attack implementation seem to have problems:

- have to quick attack beforehand

- can be confusing with [hold] combos

- interference with thrown weapons

(full disclosure - I haven't even tried out any charge attacks due to the need to quick attack beforehand, these are just from what I've read on the forums)

Why don't we just use the alternate (secondary) fire button for charge attacks?  Aren't charge attacks only available in melee mode anyway where alternate-fire is useless? This seems to fix every issue above. A separate button for charge attacks separates it out from quick attacks, and combos and thrown weapons. Actually, having another button for charge attacks could increase the variety of combos too!

Maybe I am missing something because I'm one of those weird people who uses a gamepad on pc, but it seems like there are no negatives to this approach...

Edit: changed "secondary" to "alternate" for clarity

Edited by Jollyfalcon

It sounds like a good idea to me. . I might actually use charge attacks in combat if they were mapped to alternate fire instead of holding down E, which I always get confused with when I'm trying to trigger combos. In some cases I'm not sure whether it's the combo that is triggering or the charge attack interfering with it.

That quick hand isn't as detrimental as it sounds (if you aren't attack speed build). For moving enemies that can stagger them for you to actually land the charged attack.

I'll admit using the charge attack from the combo is bothersome to do but there still is the quick attack version.

Can't say anything about thrown weapons though.

I also play with a controller though and I don't see problems with it. Guess we'll have to see what others think/feel. But I don't know if charged attacks (quick version) is initiated different for different weapon types.

@Phoenix, so you mean blocking automatically when not attacking?

I seriously don't see why they has so much trouble trying to figure out how to reimplement them when it was this simple. I was yelling at my screen when they announced that new charge attacks would still be held by the main attack button, but only activate after the first hit.

Ludicrously implemented, this would solve at least one of the problems new charge attacks have.

That quick hand isn't as detrimental as it sounds (if you aren't attack speed build). For moving enemies that can stagger them for you to actually land the charged attack.

I do see your point there - but I would like to choose whether to quick attack beforehand or not. I actually see charge attacks as a situational thing anyway, since I would be using it when a big threat is somehow incapacitated.

Here are a couple situations when I would probably want to use a charge attack without an initial quick attack stagger:

- a grounded enemy that  didn't die to the ground finisher

- a beefy heavily-debuffed enemy (slowed, frozen, etc.)

In both these situations, I just quick attack or combo to get the job done as I always have, but if a charge attack was independently-controllable through the alt-fire button, I would probably test it out to see if it is a faster and more efficient solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Take all my upvotes OP.  Simple (I think, I never programmed past C++) and elegant.  Really hope DE notices this football and decides to run it in for a touchdown.  Not sure of how I feel about the Glaive being thrown with secondary fire, but I think I could deal.

I would actually think that thrown weapons or the redeemer could hang on to the "hold melee for ranged attack", this would just allow those to have a charged attack as well. However, if these weapons just aren't allowed a charge attack because they have the special attack already, that works for me too.