The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bad Performance On Msi Gtx 970

Quash

Question

Last week my old Radeon 7970 (3GB Black Edition) died, previous to that I had a HD 5870, so I've been running on that till my MSI GTX 970 arrived in the mail, and it's been doing a seriously impressive job running at Warframe at 60+ FPS, except a few drops in the Void vs. giant zergs... It did not like FO4 and Farcry 4 though ;o

PC Specs: 850 MW PSU, i7-950 (3+ghz Quad Core), 12GB Corsair Tripple Channel Vengeance, MSI GTX 970

on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit OS.

Fallout 4, Farcry 4 etc. have all had a very noticeable performance boost over my old cards, but Warframe is running worse on my GTX 970 than it did on the HD 5870 - It barely takes 10 enemies before FPS start dropping to 50 and below. And that's on Medium settings with Phyx's off... I have tried pretty much everything with settings in Warframe + launcher settings and nvidia control panel settings - But it doesn't change the performance at all for some reason... High, Med, Low on/off the low FPS are there nomatter what in Warframe.

Has anyone had similar issues in Warframe they've managed to solve? It is only in Warframe I've had the low FPS issues.

25 answers to this question

posting so I got this in the log.

I got a 970 but can't remmeber if it's MSI. I'm not home atm but I'll check when I get home

I usually have over 120 fps in most cases, and it dips down to 50 when giant nova booms happens, so your performance is wierd, I know this is a generel comment but check your drivers, you're using a GPU from the other company, but I suspect you got some basic drivers installed.

Man that's some old CPU you have there.

Simply put, if changing visual quality doesn't affect your performance, it's not GPU that's your bottleneck.

I'm nearly 100% positive that's the CPU causing performance issues.

it's not worse than my 6 year old crap laptop's cpu, and that thing can handle warframe on 20 fps average.

I think it's a driver issue honestly.

Man that's some old CPU you have there.

Simply put, if changing visual quality doesn't affect your performance, it's not GPU that's your bottleneck.

I'm nearly 100% positive that's the CPU causing performance issues.

If the CPU was the bottleneck it wouldn't have run Warframe better with the almost 5 year old HD5870 and much better with the 7970.

All drivers are ofc the newest non beta ones available.

Edited by Quash

it's not worse than my 6 year old crap laptop's cpu, and that thing can handle warframe on 20 fps average.

I think it's a driver issue honestly.

We are talking about 20 and 50FPS difference.

If the CPU was the bottleneck it wouldn't have run Warframe better with the almost 5 year old HD5870 and much better with the 7970.

All drivers are ofc the newest non beta ones available.

Upgrading your GPU simply shifted the bottleneck from the GPU to the CPU.

There are some poorly optimized tiles in the game that just hog the performance no matter what (e.g. Void tile with a tree in the drain in the middle), but if your performance just goes down whenever there's stress put on the CPU (AI calculations) it has to be CPU bound issue.

You should be able to easily replicate it by setting up a crossfire in the simulacrum (or just going to a crossfire mission and comparing performance before and after everything lies dead and has despawned already).

You can always try unparking your cores, reinstalling drivers or doing a complete system wipe to make sure there's no junk left after the other GPU.

Edited by Mofixil

Well, by upgrading the GPU it still doesn't magically make the calculations being performed by the CPU get worse though? Never had FPS issues in Warframe before... Every single other game I've played so far, the performance have been a slight to noticeable upgrade. Older games, newer games... Still runs Fallout 4 more than fine... I'll do a remove/reinstall of the drivers again, and see if that has any effect.

Edited by Quash

[...]

Has anyone had similar issues in Warframe they've managed to solve? It is only in Warframe I've had the low FPS issues.

The issue you're having is probably not being caused by the GPU. I'm also using the same MSI 970 and I get no FPS drops. I'm using slightly older drivers (358.50) but I don't think it's your driver's fault either.

Are you sure your FPS is actually dropping? It's not a stuttering problem?

The issue you're having is probably not being caused by the GPU. I'm also using the same MSI 970 and I get no FPS drops. I'm using slightly older drivers (358.50) but I don't think it's your driver's fault either.

Are you sure your FPS is actually dropping? It's not a stuttering problem?

Yep - Specially in the Void vs. giant zergs of enemies - It doesn't stutter, it just drops from a stable 60+ with vsync to avoid screen tearing to around 45-55 until everything is dead. It never did that before to the same degree. Another thing I'm noticing is' that Warframe seems to have issues staying at 60 with vsync on, half the time it's around 64-68 with fluctuations into the 250+

Well, by upgrading the GPU it still doesn't magically make the calculations being performed by the CPU get worse though? Never had FPS issues in Warframe before... Every single other game I've played so far, the performance have been a slight to noticeable upgrade. Older games, newer games... Still runs Fallout 4 more than fine... I'll do a remove/reinstall of the drivers again, and see if that has any effect.

You need to account for driver related issues and conflicts (if there's anything left behind older drivers).

Every other game you played might be GPU centric, with little to no stuff being handled by the CPU instead of the classic physics and basic AI of a few enemies.

Warframe is... weird when it comes to performance.

just checked and I got Asus, not MSI. also 780... (surprised how I forgot)

I still have a hard time seeing the cpu being the issue though, given it's quadx3 ghz performance, even if that's a old one I can't imagine that there would be that big of a difference.

I do remmeber there being some issues with the 970's memory though.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-memory-issue-fully-explained/

970 had a issue where the launch version had 4. but as soon as it used more than 3.5 of that, the gpu would crap it's pants to put it lightly.

It's possible warframe thinks you got 4 gigs but 970 craps itself when that happens. Last I heard warframe had some wierd performance issue with memory leaks that would creep up over time, and I don't think they found the couse of this yet.

Uninstalled and Reinstalled drivers - Just did a 40 minute T4 Survival run with Excalibur solo, and not once did it dip below 60. Oddly enough it was constantly hovering at 64-68 FPS with vsync on. Weird... Will try some multiplayer void runs, see if Nova / Hydriod can cause the fps drops.

Uninstalled and Reinstalled drivers - Just did a 40 minute T4 Survival run with Excalibur solo, and not once did it dip below 60. Oddly enough it was constantly hovering at 64-68 FPS with vsync on. Weird... Will try some multiplayer void runs, see if Nova / Hydriod can cause the fps drops.

I would think mirage is a better stress test?

just checked and I got Asus, not MSI. also 780... (surprised how I forgot)

I still have a hard time seeing the cpu being the issue though, given it's quadx3 ghz performance, even if that's a old one I can't imagine that there would be that big of a difference.

I do remmeber there being some issues with the 970's memory though.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-memory-issue-fully-explained/

970 had a issue where the launch version had 4. but as soon as it used more than 3.5 of that, the gpu would crap it's pants to put it lightly.

It's possible warframe thinks you got 4 gigs but 970 craps itself when that happens. Last I heard warframe had some wierd performance issue with memory leaks that would creep up over time, and I don't think they found the couse of this yet.

That I know of, but apparently unless you're running at resolutions above 1920x1080 that shouldn't be an issue though, and that causes odd stutters, and not weird steady fps drops.

I would think mirage is a better stress test?

The one game I had a blind/disco Mirage in so far hasn't caused it... Nova on a zerg has though, but not since the reinstall, so will give that a go now.

add me ingame: Retroperspect

so we can keep the discussion without clogging up the forum. also I wanna stress test that PC of yours :V

We did Nova+Mirage after uninstalling and reinstalling the same newest drivers, and was able to run face into a million nova exploding infested on Hieracon... Never went below 60 fps... Weird, but it seemed like all it needed was an un+reinstall of drivers... So far so good, but seems fixed now.

Try DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)

You migrated to nvidia from amd. Remove every AMD + nvidia ellement with ddu in safe mode, then install the latest nvidia driver.

Also your PSU, can you check the v12 amperage. Does it have enough juice for the card, or better yet whether a dedicated rail specifically for powering gfx cards exists, is that one the one actually being used?

Another thing, which PCI-E slot are you using on your board? Is it the one the manufacturer suggests it should be?(check manual) (the 2nd slot is suggested on some boards). Are you running on x16 or x8 (or who knows maybe lower) pcie speed/mode?

Also make sure you run the latest bios as you're on an older system, it's possible a bios update with improved support for newer PCI-E devices has been released (check you mboard name/model and check on the manufacturers support/driver/bios pages)

Edited by Cailian

Glad you found a simple solution. About that fluctuating FPS thing, yeah it happens. I don't know why and I don't know if it affects performance, but I already informed DE about it via support. I also noticed that whenever FPS goes above 60, stuttering occurs. The higher the FPS the worse the stuttering.

But to be clear, I'm not saying FPS spikes are causing the stuttering. I simply noticed that the two are related in some way.

Sadly that didn't fix a thing... The fps drops are back, and even worse than before =(

My rig is no monster, but my 5 year old HD5870 should not run Warframe flawlessly at 60+ when a brand new GTX 970 makes it lag worse than running it on a toaster.... So Far I have tried everything with every single setting in Nvidia Control panel, plus settings in Warframe and nothing has any effect on the drops.

PSU - Yes, it's getting every bit of "juice" it needs

Mobo - Asus PT6 Deluxe V2, latest bios already updated before installing the new card.

Edited by Quash

Sadly that didn't fix a thing... The fps drops are back, and even worse than before =(

My rig is no monster, but my 5 year old HD5870 should not run Warframe flawlessly at 60+ when a brand new GTX 970 makes it lag worse than running it on a toaster.... So Far I have tried everything with every single setting in Nvidia Control panel, plus settings in Warframe and nothing has any effect on the drops.

PSU - Yes, it's getting every bit of "juice" it needs

Mobo - Asus PT6 Deluxe V2, latest bios already updated before installing the new card.

If you're running the game on Steam, you should verify file integrity to make sure your problem is not being caused by corrupted files. If you're not running it on Steam then there are two options inside the launcher. But I don't really know if the launcher options also verify your installation, so you might want to just reinstall the whole thing if you feel like giving it a shot.

If that doesn't help then your best option is probably to contact support directly and explain what's going on.

Yeah, there is something odd with your system... I have an FX-8320e (OC' to a mild 4ghz, you 920 should match or beat my FX) and an old gtx670. I am even running PHYSX on, and don't have issues, even when hosting. Is it only in public/groups? Are you hosting? Is it when you are solo as well?

Drivers can be an abosolute pain. And how much did that card cost you?

my pc is a med gaming rig. neither bad neither the best.

i3 4130 @3.4 GHz

wn10 x64bit

8GB RAM 

before i had a GT 610, but then i went to a GTX750ti and man alive, everything on high, no stutters whatsoever i mean, the i3 suprises me still

Edited by samuelx43a

I also have had problems with my 970 after driver updating to 361.75. I used to have solid 60fps the entire time, no worries. Now I get constant drops down to 30 when the action kicks off. 

I uninstalled drivers, used DDU to clean, and reinstalled and went back to 60fps.... GREAT!   But then after the next restart the problem was back again.

Win64 X64.

I also have had problems with my 970 after driver updating to 361.75. I used to have solid 60fps the entire time, no worries. Now I get constant drops down to 30 when the action kicks off. 

I uninstalled drivers, used DDU to clean, and reinstalled and went back to 60fps.... GREAT!   But then after the next restart the problem was back again.

Win64 X64.

I installed those drivers yesterday and they did not affect my FPS in a noticeable way. I was getting 60fps before and I'm still getting 60fps now. I'm also running 64-bit and have DirectX 11 enabled.