The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I Doing This Wrong? (Need Grakata Advice)

Codeyellow433

Question

So my problem in a nutshell is that once enemies get to level 20 and above, im not killing them very quickly. I have serration(ranked up 5 times), point strike(maxed out), vital sense(ranked up 3 times) on the Grakata. Is there something else i should be doing that im not, because honestly im having more and more trouble progressing as enemies get higher levels. Also, im using a maxed out Mag and have a reactor on the Grakata

I think my main problem is my serration isnt high enough, but I dont have enough fusion cores. is there a good place to farm those?

Thanks in advance for any help!

11 answers to this question

I think you should try potatoing it and maxing your mods. That's probably the reason.

i guess, considering this is his first post, that he's around mr 1-2 and doen't have much resources to operate with.

So my problem in a nutshell is that once enemies get to level 20 and above, im not killing them very quickly. I have serration(ranked up 5 times), point strike(maxed out), vital sense(ranked up 3 times) on the Grakata. Is there something else i should be doing that im not, because honestly im having more and more trouble progressing as enemies get higher levels. Also, im using a maxed out Mag and have a reactor on the Grakata

I think my main problem is my serration isnt high enough, but I dont have enough fusion cores. is there a good place to farm those?

Thanks in advance for any help!

for your problem i would recommend you to change your weapon for now, grakata is a status and crit weapon. This kind of weapons doesn't well for newbies and require quite a bit of investment to be viable. so i suggest you to change to raw damage weapons before you can get and max necessary mods for status&crit weapons. 

Imo, time to start looking for better weapons. Without fully ranked mods and missing mods, lower-mid tier weapons aren't going to do a lot of damage. Look into getting the Sobek or Hek for shotguns and Boltor or Soma (and their prime variants) for rifles. At low levels, I don't think there's really a good place to farm cores, though I could be wrong. Just make sure you're using identical mods to rank up when possible (serration + serration). Joining a clan or finding a friend will also help you get stuff faster. Having the right element helps as well. Corrosive deals +75% to most Grineer armored units and is great to bring against the infested, cold and magnetic vs Corpus.

Last thing, different Warframes will provide additional ways to increase your damage. Make sure you're taking full advantage. Like mag, since she does high magnetic damage, bring her to Corpus missions. Try also using pull to knock enemies down so you can do a ground finisher on them, which deals more damage than normal.

Ah, the Grakata.

Despite being relatively easy to build early on, this is not a weapon for beginners. The OP is on the right track, but you need real mod depth to bring this gun around.

A Grakata needs: serration, shred, split chamber, vital sense, point strike, and whatever elemental combo is optimal for whomever you'll be fighting. The last slot is best used for heavy caliber, but early on you might want a recoil reduction mod to get a grip on how to handle this gun.

Yes, you're going to need forma. Probably 3-5 depending on what you're doing.

Right now your priority is getting elements on your Grak. That'll get you moving forward again. Another option is use another gun like the Karak until you can afford to put more effort in the Grak. The much higher base damage of the Karak make it a lot more forgiving early on when you're still missing mods and ranking up the ones you do have.

Sloan's basic mod setup is pretty spot-on, OP. If you can't afford to put too many elemental damage mods onto your weapon right now, use Toxin against Corpus and Fire against Grineer and Infested units.

Some of the higher tier mods that might help you would include Critical Deceleration (a Corrupted mod found in Orokin vaults) and Hammer Shot (a Nightmare mod that's awarded for completing Nightmare mode missions) as both help with crit stats and the later added a bit more status chance.

Hammershot is a dps loss on the Grak compared to other options--like a 90% mod, or even a 60/60.

Critical deceleration is a massive dps loss. The Grak has low base damage. It relies very heavily on RoF for its dps. It can help controllability, but the recoil reduction mod is still better. The gun is controllable without that sort of thing, but it does take some getting used to.

Actually, Hammershot is pretty good as an option on Grakata, compare to Heavy Caliber to Hammershot on the Soma and Grakata and you will see that Hammershot gives close damage due to the method of damage from critical multipliers and additional status which is a great benefit for status weapons like the Grakata. Shred is a good option but is optional in this case, especially as attack speed will increase the weapon's recoil. If your Vital Sense and Point Strike are maxed, working on your Serration or adding the dual stat mods would be a good idea until you can add Hammershot or other critical mods.

60/60 mods give more return than hammershot. Shred is for the punchthrough, which is a huge damage multiplier when firing at the inevitable crowds.

The gun's recoil is always going to be bad. Dealing with it is a technique you learn from doing. Modding for it is ultimately a colossal damage loss.

The gun will only have one optional slot. Heavy caliber is the best return for that slot. Then you have one decision to make: status or raw damage. 2x90% mods will give you around 35% status. One 90 and one 60/60 will give you a bit over 50%. Two 60/60 will give you around 67%.

Anything else is a damage loss.

Actually, Hammershot is pretty good as an option on Grakata, compare to Heavy Caliber to Hammershot on the Soma and Grakata and you will see that Hammershot gives close damage due to the method of damage from critical multipliers and additional status which is a great benefit for status weapons like the Grakata. Shred is a good option but is optional in this case, especially as attack speed will increase the weapon's recoil. If your Vital Sense and Point Strike are maxed, working on your Serration or adding the dual stat mods would be a good idea until you can add Hammershot or other critical mods.

60/60 mods give more return than hammershot. Shred is for the punchthrough, which is a huge damage multiplier when firing at the inevitable crowds.

The gun's recoil is always going to be bad. Dealing with it is a technique you learn from doing. Modding for it is ultimately a colossal damage loss.

The gun will only have one optional slot. Heavy caliber is the best return for that slot. Then you have one decision to make: status or raw damage. 2x90% mods will give you around 35% status. One 90 and one 60/60 will give you a bit over 50%. Two 60/60 will give you around 67%.

Anything else is a damage loss.

Guys, OP doesn't even have max mods yet. I HIGHLY doubt they have access to Shred, Heavy Caliber, or even Hammer shot. Probably doesn't even have a lot of dual element mods.