Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Splitting Oberon In Twain

Acegikmo

I was thinking about Oberon recently and remembered that he was pitched by DE as a mix between a druid and a paladin. I like Oberon well enough, but it kept bugging me that he didn't feel like either once that memory surfaced.

There is sooo much to draw on for druid alone that mashing it together with a paladin wouldn't really transfer over well.

So I'm going to try to separate them and see how it turns out.

(note: one ability for druid is based on the assumption that kavats [catbro] is going to be some kind of spellcaster).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Druid Oberon

passive ideas-1. Opportunity: learning patience taught by the trees, Druberon occasionally see's openings most miss.

every 30 seconds, a few enemies around Druberon will stumble for a few seconds allowing finisher strike/bonus headshot damage.

2. Return to the Earth: Druberon takes a few points of life from nearby dead enemies, Alpha takes armor, Omega takes energy, and One With Nature gains a damage buffer equal to a % of the dead enemies health.                  

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

1. Alpha: Shapeshift into a hulking kubrow, gaining health, armor, and move speed. 

Second ability changes to Dominate: While on the ground; rear up and stomp, throwing enemies in range outward and grow a small patch of tall grass to prowl (stealth) in. While in the air; calls the earth to pull himself downwards at increased velocity, hitting the ground with more force and dealing more damage in a greater radius. (the grass is larger as well)

Third ability changes to Reconfigure: Further shapeshift to cover skin in bark and bones to increase in density, reducing move speed to base and increasing health and armor even further. Can be seen in grass but enemies suffer accuracy penalty.

note: Left click is a mix of swipes and bites that can cause bleeding and puncture. Right click grows grass as he moves.

2. Omega: Shapeshift into a Kavat, gaining energy regen, lots of parkour buffs, and amplified shields.

First ability changes to NEVER!: approaching enemies raise your hackles, fires a line of raw force to beat back the petting. Limitless range that only stops at the first wall hit, enemies are propelled based on range mods; with the first hit flying the farthest and subsequent hits reducing distance. If enough enemies impact a wall, the pileup will be irradiated.

Third ability changes to Playtime: Fires a tight line of moisture that encases enemies in bubbles that slowly bounce around. Enemies fall on the ground for a few seconds when the bubble pops. Using NEVER! on bubbled enemies causes an explosive blast proc and launches the remaining water further afield and may cause tripping.

note: Left click is a slightly arching cluster of projectiles that meet at the crosshairs and spread behind a short distance. Right click latches onto walls for as long as Omega wants and sitting there for a few seconds adds stealth.

3. One with nature: Druberon plants himself in the ground and grows leaves and branches, giving a regen aura within radius and preventing status effects on allies.

First ability changes to Stick Around: Wraps roots around enemies that come within range, locking them down and stealing energy.

Second ability changes to Replant: Travel through the ground to new soil, buffing regen temporarily and getting a coating of dirt or metal to deflect some damage. Enemies caught in 'Stick Around' are dragged through as well, getting their armor stripped in the process.

note: Left click lashes enemies with vines to knock them down. Right click sinks Druberon into the ground to become a smaller target. Healing aura stops, but range of skills increases.

4. Natures Wrath: When use as Druberon - Conjures first 3 abilities as pets. Can't shapeshift while pets are out; those buttons sent pets out to attack instead. When used in other forms - Gives a small steroid to next ability cast at small cost.

I wanted to cover the bases of druidism; which as far as I can find is shapeshifting, nature magic, and pets. Druids do a lot more with plants and I'm willing to drop the second ability if anyone has anything better.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

this took longer than I thought it would. So I'm going to have to do the paladin later. My thoughts on that were leaning towards each ability having a persistent aura of some kind. Any ideas on that before I resume this would be cool.

I both aprove, and disaprove:

I approve of it because it would allow for independent development on both druid theme and Paladin theme. With oberon skirting both, no other frame can be a defensive paladin, or Healing Druid. And with one frame occupying two roles, neither role gets much attention.

I also love shape-shifting. While DE is almost guaranteed to not implement this, it would certainly be cool.

But I also disapprove, because splitting Oberon is taking away his uniqueness. the reason he is not just a rip-off of trinity is because he is not just a healer. He is also a defender, and a damage dealer. A druid frame, however, would be entirely healer. and Paladin frame, entirely defender/Dmg-dealer.

If you ask me, I think the majority of the problems stem from the broken, well, everything, in warframe. Modding, Enemy Scaling, Enemy AI, Energy system, and lack of game direction, it's all an iceberg of problems, but the only part we see is that Oberon is in need of reworking. But that's for a separate thread entirely....

So yeah, it's a cool concept, but there will be opposition from current-Oberon lovers, and DE is very unlikely to manage to make something that intricate.