The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Paris Prime, Dread Or Daikyu?

(PSN)Namihana

Question

Hello all. Looking to get another slew of suggestions and advice from experienced players.

I'm at the point in the game where I'm in the mid-game already, and while my guns do the job well enough, thank you Hek and Soma, I am severely lacking in the bow department.

Right now, my Paris is just falling behind and I would like to get a new bow to make up for this and as the title of this suggests... which one should I go for? I'd much appreciate player input!

Oh and also, do rifle mods affect bows at all? I mean... I've hardly seen any bow mods aside from Arrow Mutation.

PS: Dread is in my to get list, but I know it's gonna be a pain in the butt compared to the Paris P and Daikyu.

you need more experience with the daikyu lol it sounds like you picked it up, judged it at rank 0, and was like "well this is S#&$ because it's not the dread".  It's a completely different style of gameplay, so it would be understandable if you didn't get it right away.  It's a shame most people don't give weaponry with different playstyles a chance without absolutely bashing it.  You should also not stereotype anything... in game or real life... you will end up having a lot of depressing moments :/  

The Daikyu doesn't really do what it does well though. It is indeed a slow draw status bow, making it a different creature than every other bow. However, as a status weapon, it is FAR out played by many other status weapons. While minmaxers tend to regard it as trash, I wouldn't go that far, but I also wouldn't recommend it to someone just breaking into the bow category, or even much at all. It's play style isn't all that rewarding, and claiming other wise puts you in the minority of players. There's nothing wrong with that, but just be aware that your beloved bow doesn't look or preform well compared to other bows.

This is what I would do

Paris Prime --> Daikyu --> Dread --> Rakta Cernos

And yes, rifle mods affect bows.

EDIT: Swap Dread around with either the Paris or Daikyu, depending on what you get first.

Edited by Sormatte

well it depends on what you're looking for.  Instead of offering just opinion, let me present you with this.

Dread is a high crit (up to 125% or thereabouts?) bow dealing slash damage.  The draw is medium time at this point, and the damage drops off for armored targets (which I'm surprised most people don't get) like grineer.  It's a good bow, but a little finnicky in the drop rate and accuracy.  I personally don't use it for high level content.

Paris Prime is the puncture equivalent of Dread, except even more solid with a slower draw.  The drop is a little heavier as well, but the accuracy is lovely.

Daikyu is my personal favorite.  It is the only bow that can achieve 100% status chance with HUGE elemental per shot.  That and it's a puncture bow.  There's no drop to the arrows and has perfect accuracy, but the drawback is that you have to draw the arrows completely to fire them, and wait for the animation to stop afterward.  Other than a little getting used to, it's incredibly elegant.

Might I also present option D: the rakta cernos.  This badass motherfcker has the fastest draw of all the bows, is incredibly accurate, high crit and good elemental, and procs the Red Veil proc.  Good for close and medium range only.  My personal second choice.

Right off the bat, I'd recommend Daikyu as long as you can master the reload animation, but other than that, whatever bow you get, make sure you mod it for its use, and use it with the factions that are weak against the stats, otherwise you'll be fairly disappointed.  

#BowsAreLove #BowsAreLife

Daikyu is sadly one of the worst bows, it's primary strength lies within procing. The problem is that weapons that focus on procing status effect should  fire fast, so until they change it, Daikyu is a mastery fodder. Something i am ratter sad of, since it is the first bow that i think look amazing.

Forgot to mention, Dread all the way. It is a very strong bow working all the way until end game and still effective, one of the only contender would be Rakta Cernos but that bow is harder to obtain.

Edited by Hellmaker2004

w

Dread is a high crit (up to 125% or thereabouts?) bow dealing slash damage.  The draw is medium time at this point, and the damage drops off for armored targets (which I'm surprised most people don't get) like grineer.  It's a good bow, but a little finnicky in the drop rate and accuracy. 

Paris Prime is the puncture equivalent of Dread, except even more solid with a slower draw.  The drop is a little heavier as well, but the accuracy is lovely.

BTdubs, both bows sport a 16.7 accuracy lad. 

Moving on, I would go for Paris P. You can buy one cheap off the trade channel, and have that sucker building. The Daikyu has some decent stats, but it's long draw time and inability to release fire early means that you can easily gt overrun by large groups of enemies. Dread is a DPS champ, but the Paris cranks out roughly the same numbers and RNGesus can spit on you sometimes.

As indicated, Rakta Cernos sits pretty high as Bow king with it's insane draw speed and the Syn proc. Once you hit MR 12, you can simply trade for it.

Edited by SquireAngel

well it depends on what you're looking for.  Instead of offering just opinion, let me present you with this.

Dread is a high crit (up to 125% or thereabouts?) bow dealing slash damage.  The draw is medium time at this point, and the damage drops off for armored targets (which I'm surprised most people don't get) like grineer.  It's a good bow, but a little finnicky in the drop rate and accuracy.  I personally don't use it for high level content.

Daikyu is my personal favorite.  It is the only bow that can achieve 100% status chance with HUGE elemental per shot.  That and it's a puncture bow.  There's no drop to the arrows and has perfect accuracy, but the drawback is that you have to draw the arrows completely to fire them, and wait for the animation to stop afterward.  Other than a little getting used to, it's incredibly elegant.

Might I also present option D: the rakta cernos.  This badass motherfcker has the fastest draw of all the bows, is incredibly accurate, high crit and good elemental, and procs the Red Veil proc.  Good for close and medium range only.  My personal second choice.

Right off the bat, I'd recommend Daikyu as long as you can master the reload animation, but other than that, whatever bow you get, make sure you mod it for its use, and use it with the factions that are weak against the stats, otherwise you'll be fairly disappointed.  

#BowsAreLove #BowsAreLife

Noted!

I'm two parts away from Paris P so I'm hoping to get that first, and once I get lucky with Forma from the void, I'll craft Daikyu. As for Dread... I suppose I'll just cross that bridge once I get there. Or you know, if the Stalker isn't being stingy with drops.

It's a shame about Rakta Cernos since I'm in an opposing Syndicate, but I suppose if I have the plat to fork over, I'd be willing to buy one off from the trade tab.

Noted!

I'm two parts away from Paris P so I'm hoping to get that first, and once I get lucky with Forma from the void, I'll craft Daikyu. As for Dread... I suppose I'll just cross that bridge once I get there. Or you know, if the Stalker isn't being stingy with drops.

It's a shame about Rakta Cernos since I'm in an opposing Syndicate, but I suppose if I have the plat to fork over, I'd be willing to buy one off from the trade tab.

Oh you are so young, i almost feel sorry for you hoping that the Dread blueprint will drop. Soon however you will dread the day dread gets dropped from Stalker.

I am implying it is the most common blueprint drop.

Edited by Hellmaker2004

Noted!

breh I have a spare rakta cernos.  no charge for that.  Also, if you're going to be building the daikyu, you'll need a minimum of 3 forma so you can fit the necessary mods in for both fire rate and the other basic status mods.  If you need an end game build, I can give that as well. :)

Oh you are so young, i almost feel sorry for you hoping that the Dread blueprint will drop. Soon however you will dread the day dread gets dropped from Stalker.

I am implying it is the most common blueprint drop.

Eh, I don't want anything much from the Stalker anyway. Just Dread, really. At least, for now.

Daikyu is sadly one of the worst bows, it's primary strength lies within procing. The problem is that weapons that focus on procing status effect should  fire fast, so until they change it, Daikyu is a mastery fodder. Something i am ratter sad of, since it is the first bow that i think look amazing.

Forgot to mention, Dread all the way. It is a very strong bow working all the way until end game and still effective, one of the only contender would be Rakta Cernos but that bow is harder to obtain.

you need more experience with the daikyu lol it sounds like you picked it up, judged it at rank 0, and was like "well this is S#&$ because it's not the dread".  It's a completely different style of gameplay, so it would be understandable if you didn't get it right away.  It's a shame most people don't give weaponry with different playstyles a chance without absolutely bashing it.  You should also not stereotype anything... in game or real life... you will end up having a lot of depressing moments :/  

Edited by Firefly0037

breh I have a spare rakta cernos.  no charge for that.  Also, if you're going to be building the daikyu, you'll need a minimum of 3 forma so you can fit the necessary mods in for both fire rate and the other basic status mods.  If you need an end game build, I can give that as well. :)

I appreciate the offer but... PSN...

RIP

You know this is the second time this has happened to me. Generous souls offer rare pieces and I can't trade because I'm not with the masterrace. 

Dread, Paris Prime, and Rakta Cernos are all good choices.  Each can be built into something amazing.  Some people don't like the draw/charging noise Paris Prime makes, though.

Vanilla paris is passable, though outclassed by the above bows.

Cernos, Daikyu, and Mk1-Paris are often considered trash tier.  The effort usd to get them to something decent and usable tends to be equal to or greater than that used to make one of the first three bows mentioned into basically god tier.

Edited by DeMeritus

that's hip fire accuracy, my friend.  I'm talking about while aiming down sights.

I appreciate the offer but... PSN...

RIP

You know this is the second time this has happened to me. Generous souls offer rare pieces and I can't trade because I'm not with the masterrace. 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

rest in pieces :(

that's hip fire accuracy, my friend.  I'm talking about while aiming down sights.

ckKz1BW.jpg

In my perspective, Paris Prime has a more neutral, friendly base damage type. The draw speed is a bit slower and crit base is smaller. It also drops from the air faster.

Dread is better in the above criteria, but slash damage faces heavy penalty against alloy armor, and some penalty against ferrite armor.

The way puncture damage calculates against armored targets, puncture definitely fares better when armor is significant. However, a team with four Corrosive Projections can remove all armor from grineer, and any enemy without armor is a great target for using the Dread on.

The Rakta Cernos has better base damage but less crit chance compared to Dread. Impact is a highly neutral damage type with only a mild reduction against flesh past all defense pools, except shields which it fares better. Rakta Cernos is a viable weapon for many cases, and the syndicate proc helps considerably.

As for Daikyu, it's simply too slow for most PvE applications, but in PvP there's a completely different balance that makes it shine there.

Edited by MechaKnight

The Daikyu doesn't really do what it does well though. It is indeed a slow draw status bow, making it a different creature than every other bow. However, as a status weapon, it is FAR out played by many other status weapons. While minmaxers tend to regard it as trash, I wouldn't go that far, but I also wouldn't recommend it to someone just breaking into the bow category, or even much at all. It's play style isn't all that rewarding, and claiming other wise puts you in the minority of players. There's nothing wrong with that, but just be aware that your beloved bow doesn't look or preform well compared to other bows.

oh I've used all the bows extensively, and it sounds like we may have to agree to disagree.  This is a "sniper bow", compared to archer bows.  It even performs much like a sniper in the game with the high damage one-shotting playstyle, hence the balancing of not being able to fire at half draw.  Stuck in a mob?  Bullet jumping out is always an option... then you can just line up one really good shot and take half the mob out with the amount of puncture it has.  Since there's no arrow drop, you can actually headshot multiple targets at the same time, combined with high elemental providing damage buffs against targets, 63k crits are a regular thing for me... as a minimum.  

Sure it can be outclassed by other weapons, but you really can't compare this bow to much of anything, especially weapons that aren't bows lol It's kind of in its own category, even with bows.  I will say that probably shouldn't be recommended to a player just entering the bow playstyle, but hey, if they really want to dive into all of it head first, then it certainly isn't impossible to master the daikyu.

Definitely a long range bow, not well suited for close range combat, but certainly still possible. :)

The way puncture damage calculates against armored targets, puncture definitely fares better when armor is significant. However, a team with four Corrosive Projections can remove all armor from grineer, and any enemy without armor is a great target for using the Dread on.

not to be "that guy", but the chances of joining a squad with randoms that all have that one aura on are quite slim.  Maybe for an organized squad....?  I wouldn't bet on randoms though lol

This is a "sniper bow", compared to archer bows.  It even performs much like a sniper in the game with the high damage one-shotting playstyle, hence the balancing of not being able to fire at half draw.  Stuck in a mob?  Bullet jumping out is always an option... then you can just line up one really good shot and take half the mob out with the amount of puncture it has.  Since there's no arrow drop, you can actually headshot multiple targets at the same time, combined with high elemental providing damage buffs against targets, 63k crits are a regular thing for me... as a minimum.  

I get what you're trying to say, but I still can't say that I agree. I can line up 3-4 headshots fairly regularly in the time it takes to charge the Dread, on the rare occasion I still use it (I love me a Rakta Cernos >o>) and hit 70k+ without red crits, which every shot will be a crit shot with 125% crit rate, as opposed to the 37.5% of the Daikyu. Also, Snipers work much better in the sniper role because, they are indeed, snipers themselves. With the elements against it in that regard, I still can't see Daikyu being notable outside of novelty, which is quite sad. The Daikyu is so different because it resembles the japanese long bow, which is quite a different creature to the other bows in game, based more off of a shortbow concept. Like I said before I only refute you advances on meritocracy for being a contender for a role well suited for someone looking for something to compete with his favorites like soma and hek. 

I get what you're trying to say, but I still can't say that I agree. I can line up 3-4 headshots fairly regularly in the time it takes to charge the Dread, on the rare occasion I still use it (I love me a Rakta Cernos >o>) and hit 70k+ without red crits, which every shot will be a crit shot with 125% crit rate, as opposed to the 37.5% of the Daikyu. Also, Snipers work much better in the sniper role because, they are indeed, snipers themselves. With the elements against it in that regard, I still can't see Daikyu being notable outside of novelty, which is quite sad. The Daikyu is so different because it resembles the japanese long bow, which is quite a different creature to the other bows in game, based more off of a shortbow concept. Like I said before I only refute you advances on meritocracy for being a contender for a role well suited for someone looking for something to compete with his favorites like soma and hek. 

well can't argue with that *wi-five for legitimate discussion* 

Still can't wrap my head around why it gets so much hate though.  For a weapon in a class all of its own (and arguably more difficult to master due to the nature of warframe), it seems like people judge it too quickly by comparing it to other various weapons.  First of all, there's a slight issue in general comparing anything to anything in warframe (especially bows to shotguns and LMGs), just because there's SO MUCH in the game, and most of it is just different enough where it's hard to find a legit comparison, let alone having a weapon like this being all on its own.  Second, Paris P builds can range into 3-5 forma as well, which is literally exactly the same amount of work it would take for the Daikyu, yet I've heard people say that the Paris Prime is better because it's more bang for less work (also, not necessarily a good ideology in bed, from what I hear).  And what isn't amazing about a bow that is 100% accurate with no drop, and massive damage buffs from the insane status?

Edited by Firefly0037

It would be interesting to see DE come back and have long bows be it's own subcategory of bows, with unique features to reward players for putting the time into learning it's nuances, it isn't well received for the same reason Saryn's rework still is frowned upon by a large populace. Minmaxers like to get the highest yield for smallest amount of skill required. Not saying they lack skill, but the cheesier a gimmick is in terms of being milkable, the more they stray away from anything requiring patience or they can churn out as a maximized weapon. It's all about the Deeps for them, not about fun gunplay. It's about the tonkors, Soma Ps, and Ignis' with the; while being great weapons, they use them ONLY for their ability to minimize the amount of effort required to get more resources for more minmaxing. My personal love project is a Prisma Gorgon; I love the feel of a giant machine gun, and while Soma P is the deeps king in that regard, I just love the feel and look of my Gorgon. S#&$ glows yo.

Observe the trade channel for people asking for weapons from a syndicate you are aligned in.  Buy that weapon and then offer it for trade for the weapon you want.  You'll find someone pretty easily and it's a fair swap.

I do plan on doing this eventually. I hear Steel Meridian weapons are all the rage, so I'm glad I joined.

And @Firefly and @SquireAngel, your debate about Daikyu vs Dread + Paris P is actually helping me a ton. I'll be sure to consider what you've both been arguing about when I make the bows.

@Namihana; You can actually rank Red Veil if you're in Steel. Just super rank Steel for awhile, and since red veil is allied, you wont piss off any thing attached to Red veil rep wise. It gets a half share, which takes awhile, but might as well milk 4 syndicates instead of 3 =o

@Namihana; You can actually rank Red Veil if you're in Steel. Just super rank Steel for awhile, and since red veil is allied, you wont piss off any thing attached to Red veil rep wise. It gets a half share, which takes awhile, but might as well milk 4 syndicates instead of 3 =o

See, I kinda allied myself with Steel, Arbiters and Suda so Red Veil is actually quite pissed. Not as pissed as Perrin and New Loka but still pissed lol. I suppose I can still fix it but for now, I'll focus on the first three.