Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hawken Or Mechwarrior?

TheErebus.

So recently I've been looking for a new game to try out, something that'll keep me interested for a while.

I love mech games, and Hawken and Mechwarrior Online are often brought up.

So I ask you, which should I try out?
I prefer faster mechs but I don't mind slower ones. 

Mechwarrior is the better game after having played both. You can play Mechwarrior like you would in Hawken if you wanted, since there's different categories of mechs. Graphics, effects, customization, and gameplay are overall better than Hawken.

Edited by RevivedEdgeLord

Hawken was good, but lack of new content, and poor management by the original devs, drove most of the player base away. Last time I checked (less than 3 months ago), there were less than 300 players playing worldwide at any given time. The first problem is the grind, and I know what everybody says, "it's free to play, so shut up", except, it's really not, sure you can play for free, but you need to grind for hours to get anything, and I mean anything. For example, the more you use a given mech, the higher it's level gets, higher levels "unlock" alternate weapons. but they really don't; in actuality, they unlock the ability to buy said alternate weapons. So you grind for hours and hours to fully level a mech and you finally "unlock" that point D vulcan, but wait, you didn't actually unlock it, you just unlocked the ability to buy it, which means you need to continue grinding for the weapon you just "unlocked". Another problem is the community, like I said, most of the player base is gone and only the hardcore fanboy veterans are left, which means they'll scream obscenities at you for not playing the game the way they want you to play, that is to say, if you're having fun, you're doing it wrong. Oh, and any new players are gimped because matchmaking is borked, so have fun not only grinding, but losing, badly, every time, to not only the veteran players with the freakishly op scout mechs, and fully decked out incinerators, but to the multitude of smurfs, bots, and hackers that have plagued the game since day one. The new devs said change was coming; but words without action, don't mean S#&$.

Hawken is more or less grounded by its current state, despite the activity in the servers lately.

Mechwarrior Online is still trying to grab some cash after showing several premium content that many wouldn't normally buy.

I say, neither game struck my fancy due to: the usual grind and limited customization, as every mech just one static equipment size asides weapons (or) be brushed away by ridiculous min-maxed equipment designed by more experienced players who tells you to stay away from their fun or be dogmeat in a few minutes. Respectively.

HAWKEN is fun believe me. I myself even forgot the game for a while and few times I have played it and still find it quite fun to play.

I've only played one game of HAWKEN and I had a lot of fun. I love the design and the way the game plays out, but I need to play more before I can make my final decision.