The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mid game weapons.

JopoloR

Question

Hi I'm mastery rank 4 and I'm still using the same weapons I've been using since M2-3:

Karak

lex

dual ethers

all 3 weapons work well but as I'm getting into harder missions none of the weapons can deal enough damage, if anyone can recommend some weapons for primary, secondary and melee that would be great.

10 answers to this question

Primaries: Hek (status-based shotgun, can CC for days with the syndicate mod) Tigris (high damage, status-based shotgun with nice trigger once you get used to it)
If you get lucky and do some void runs or you have some plat you can buy Paris Prime (really good bow which can be used in the end-game as well)
Secondaries : Lex is good enough and you can upgrade it with lex prime later on when you get some plat or do some void runs
Melee : Dual zoren ( really good dual daggers with good crit chance and beyond good crit multiplier, really fast and can hit multiple targets at once)
Scindo/prime (big heavy axe with the highest base damage when using the skin(tied with War), insane slam radius to quickly give you some time in tough moments, literally spin-to-win while everything around you is getting sliced)

Edited by Grobbus

First, weapons aren't as important as having the right mods and leveling up those mods.  Do you have undamaged version of Serration and Hornet Strike?  Is your melee damage mod Pressure Point fully ranked if you're relying mostly on your melee for damage? 

Karak is actually quite serviceable especially if you put a catalyst and can get you pretty far in the game, but since you're looking for other weapons to use/try (and it's good that you want to try new weapons), I recommend Hek, Ignis, Sobek, and maybe Tigris for your primary.  Hek and Sobek have syndicate mods that will make them really good and can be used until high level planets.  Ignis will require a few formas to reach its potential, but it's a lot of fun and even without forma it's strong enough to get through most of the star chart.  Once you get to rank 5, Tonkor and Amprex will be good.  Then, when you get to rank 6, I highly recommend getting a Soma and build it for crit. Also, try to get a Dread from Stalker.  It's one of the best bows in game.

For secondary Atomos and Kunai Prime are accessible at rank 4.  Atomos with Ruinous Extension (mod dropped by Jackal) is fantastic, and with a few forma you can use it for end game.  I would then get Marelok at rank 5 or Vaykor Marelok at rank 6.  All these secondaries are very powerful and will serve you well through the star chart and 

I don't know what kind of melee you like so use whatever you like or whatever free/cheap blueprint the game gives you.  I do recommend you finish Second Dream so you can get the melee weapon as a reward.  That sword is currently one of the strongest weapons in game.  It comes with a slot and catalyst which is always a good thing.

What frames do you have so far?  Some weapons work very well with certain frames.  I can try to make a few recommendations base on what frames you have.

1 minute ago, Grobbus said:

Primaries: Hek (crit-based shotgun) 

Vaykor Hek is crit-based. Normal Hek isn't. Just saying.

Get a shotgun. Any shotgun, really. A normal Point Blank + elementals doesn't take that much to max and is enough to boost your damage since most shotguns have massive base damage.

I think you can get Hek + Scattered Justice & Sobek on MR4. Tigris is a better choice ( if you can deal with the trigger anyway. ) with 850 base damage but I'm pretty sure it requires MR5. 

If you want to go for secondaries with higher possible RoF, try Akmagnus or Akvasto, both need 2 of their respective single handed variants to built so use that stage do decide which of the duals to get first.

If you have access to clantech Tonbo is a nice Melee weapon to look at.

Amprex, while being a brutal beast of a weapon(personal favorite), needs several Forma(~5) to really shine and goes through ammunition like a knife through water (state of water depending on enemy level).

I've asked exactly the same question not so long ago. I was struggling on normal missions on Phobos and Sedna and I was able to kill some previous bosses only in group. I was pointed to excellent Damage 2.0 on wiki. That helped me to easily advance through next planets. If you don't have enough orokin catalists focus on fewer mods at higher rank. Maxed out primary damage boost (Serration, Point Blank) + as high as possible combined element against the enemy you are struggling the most will get you very far.

I use shotguns to offset my bad aim and I can confirm what others said - Hek against Grineer and Sobek against Corpus. I use also Drakgoon against infested. All of them have very tight spread (Drakgoon when fully charged) and are effective also at middle range.

But again, leveled mods are far more important as long as you don't use slash based weapon against Grineer or puncture against Corpus :)

Edited by (XB1) Deflinek

27 minutes ago, xiaodenden said:

First, weapons aren't as important as having the right mods and leveling up those mods.  Do you have undamaged version of Serration and Hornet Strike?  Is your melee damage mod Pressure Point fully ranked if you're relying mostly on your melee for damage? 

Karak is actually quite serviceable especially if you put a catalyst and can get you pretty far in the game, but since you're looking for other weapons to use/try (and it's good that you want to try new weapons), I recommend Hek, Ignis, Sobek, and maybe Tigris for your primary.  Hek and Sobek have syndicate mods that will make them really good and can be used until high level planets.  Ignis will require a few formas to reach its potential, but it's a lot of fun and even without forma it's strong enough to get through most of the star chart.  Once you get to rank 5, Tonkor and Amprex will be good.  Then, when you get to rank 6, I highly recommend getting a Soma and build it for crit. Also, try to get a Dread from Stalker.  It's one of the best bows in game.

For secondary Atomos and Kunai Prime are accessible at rank 4.  Atomos with Ruinous Extension (mod dropped by Jackal) is fantastic, and with a few forma you can use it for end game.  I would then get Marelok at rank 5 or Vaykor Marelok at rank 6.  All these secondaries are very powerful and will serve you well through the star chart and 

I don't know what kind of melee you like so use whatever you like or whatever free/cheap blueprint the game gives you.  I do recommend you finish Second Dream so you can get the melee weapon as a reward.  That sword is currently one of the strongest weapons in game.  It comes with a slot and catalyst which is always a good thing.

What frames do you have so far?  Some weapons work very well with certain frames.  I can try to make a few recommendations base on what frames you have.

I have a max serration and rank 5 hornet strike as for war frames I have Rhino, Chroma, Mag and currently building Oberon.

This is probably my overall choice of weapon set in my lower MR days.

Soma: automatic and critical, easy to mod effectively with lower end mods. The regular version will do just fine in mid game. used that one a lot before the prime came out. and the prime was more of a utility buff anyway. But do take the prime if you want to go late game with it as the ammo economy is not that great on the regular.

Brakk: though I got this one through a event and it is harder to get. Basically a lower fire rape powerhouse of any kind will do best next to a ammo gulping primary.

Dual Ichor: Pure elemental and Toxin even. can be used to make some of the best elemental combos out there and are crit weapons on top of that. pare these up with the shadow dept mods that will sooner or later land on the consoles these will carry you far into the late game.

Most importantly though. Mods matter more then the choice of weapon when its about mid game as all weapons can be configured to work there. only sorties and endless are usually the places where weapon choice will matter. So don't break your neck over it or anything.

1 hour ago, (XB1) L1ghtG4me said:

Hi I'm mastery rank 4 and I'm still using the same weapons I've been using since M2-3:

Karak

lex

dual ethers

all 3 weapons work well but as I'm getting into harder missions none of the weapons can deal enough damage, if anyone can recommend some weapons for primary, secondary and melee that would be great.

Do You have catalyst in? Since weapon without catalyst in has half drain, and there is no way it will be great. Also make sure to read Damage 2.0 from wiki, and mod your weapons using maxed mods to deal "right" elemental dmg. Also putting formas in weapon improves it even more, however there is problem of formating weapons of which we know we will not use it in the end.

All mentioned weapons are ok. The only change would be switch lex into alex. Double the fun. If you want push harder:

Primary: Hek or Soma (even basic is good),

Primary:Alex is very good. Akmagnus is more balanced and easier to use (low recoil) Sonicor is great agains Corpus.

Melee: Dual Zoren or Dual Ichor (if you have access to Dojo).

The shotguns are overall very powerful now, if that's your thing.

If you're comfortable with Bows, both Paris Prime and Dread will go a long way, too, they're endgame viable weapons. You'll need the crit. mods Point Strike and Vital Sense, however, and be good at aiming for headshots.

Soma Prime has only a bit over 20% more DPS than the Soma, so the latter is still plenty powerful and quite easy to build once you're MR6. Again, you'll need the crit. mods.

If you don't mind the Sniper drawbacks and are good at aiming, those weapons basically don't fall off anymore in a "normal" 40 minute endless mission. I'm still using the Vectis regularly.

Or just get a Tonkor, it blows up pretty much everything. Not what I'd call midgame (it might be the most powerful gun out there atm), but for some reason it only has a MR requirement of 5.