Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Crashes to black screen, forced to shutdown

royberger

Today during a mission the screen frozen and then turned to black, I lost a lot of stuff and exp for that.

Also every time I log have a problem with the upnp malfunctioning and the port. My modem is totally updated. Don't know what to do.

2 hours ago, Eadger said:

Today during a mission the screen frozen and then turned to black, I lost a lot of stuff and exp for that.

Also every time I log have a problem with the upnp malfunctioning and the port. My modem is totally updated. Don't know what to do.

I can reproduce the black screen issue and warframe turning to unresponsive. When I plug off the network cable while I'm in liset and after waiting a while I tried to get to a mission (creating a session it says) but it rendered this black screen and unresponsive warframe and bit later I couldn't even alt-tab nor ctrl-alt-del. I needed to kill warframe/evolution engine via batch file to restore my computer functionalities without restarting my computer.

So you definitely want to configure the settings on your router: Disable UPnP from warframe (and/or router) and forward the warframe ports manually.
http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Warframe/default.htm
just browse your router brand and model from the list and it gives you a simple guide how to forward the ports.

Don't mind about those additional ports, just forward the  UDP ports 4950 and 4955.

Here is a better insight for port forwarding and UPnP by DE Glen:

Edited by carnaga

On 12-4-2016 at 10:21 AM, Bonteaomd said:

@carnaga 

I followed your advise and did a clean installation using DDU. Installed the latest drivers and have been playing warfame the last days without crashing. 

Many thanks!

Sorry to say it havent worked out, had 3 crashes in a row today so back to older drivers agian. 

2 hours ago, Bonteaomd said:

Sorry to say it havent worked out, had 3 crashes in a row today so back to older drivers agian. 

Sorry to hear that :(

I think nVidia would appreciate your feedback regarding the latest drivers and crashing issues and specially that rolling back to 340.52 drivers fixes the issue. nVidia staff follows the thread regularly. Provide as much information as possible that they can reproduce the issue.

Official 364.72 Game Ready WHQL Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 3/28/16)

When the next driver is released, you can find a new feedback sticky from here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/

Edited by carnaga

Kept on happening to me ever since i got Windows 10 which is a few days from now, driver version 361.75. Screen freezes during gameplay, then monitor goes black showing "No Signal". have to power off my pc via the switch and back on. can't install the latest drivers since a lot of people reported that it caused more problems than whatever it's supposed  to fix. This never happened to me when I was using Windows 7 with said driver version. :/

EDIT: whatever i've mentioned earlier happens a lot more frequently while i come across to another issue; the game crashes with no warning and i usually see a yellow triangle on the taskbar which gives nothing. Is this the display driver crashing or what? 

Edited by BBlaz

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bonteaomd said:

@BBlaz I was having the same issue,  i also had the yellow triangle and no info. But to find out you go to problems and solution in windows and under history you will be able to find what has caused the crash

either that or you can go into event viewer > system and refer to the warnings. this is the error i've got (forum title)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/863540/driver-quot-nvlddmkm-quot-stopped-responding-solved-/?offset=3
tried all solutions, i still get the same freezing and the monitor detecting no signal, and that tells me i have to power cycle my pc in order to make things stable again. I give up. i can't be bothered to go back to another OS in order to alleviate this issue since i've already lost so much data the last time my OS managed to screw up by itself and also since it's only been a week since i got Windows 10. :/ there goes the Forma alert too.

1 hour ago, BBlaz said:

- snip -

Yep, your display driver is crashing. Common issue with nVidia graphics driver.

You could use DDU from guru3D to perform a clean driver installation and this time go with v. 364.72 (aka Virtual Reality drivers). Or you could download and try the hotfix driver v. 364.96 (aka Doom & Mirrors Edge Catalyst drivers).
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4086/~/geforce-hot-fix-driver-version-364.96

You should contact nVidia via forums and describe your issue there with additional information such as your system specs, mb model and version and so on. 

And you could roll back drivers to those that actually do work. Basically this is via trial and error to find the drivers that do work. Also you could narrow down the problem by monitoring your gpu and psu for voltage problems eg. with Tech Powerup GPU-z or MSI after burner or with CPUID hardware monitor and so on.

I'm runnin Win10 Enterprise with 364.72 without issues. And I'm using MSI GTX 960 4Gb + Asus B85-Pro Gamer + i5 4690K + 16Gb + 2x SSD. Thought I encountered some massive problems with my gaming rig (dram, gpu and psu and with voltages and bsod's) but I managed to fix it.

To put short: Narrowed down the problem to psu which failed in the end and I had wrong voltage settings -- it was on auto from mb and in fact the auto voltage setting was down-clocking stuff -- which caused Memory Management errors (in memory controller chip) with Windows Memory Diagnostic tools. Swapping psu didn't solve the issue completely but setting up proper voltages on the motherboard I managed fix it completely.

Edited by carnaga
corrections...

On 4/25/2016 at 7:53 PM, carnaga said:

You could use DDU from guru3D to perform a clean driver installation and this time go with v. 364.72 (aka Virtual Reality drivers). Or you could download and try the hotfix driver v. 364.96 (aka Doom & Mirrors Edge Catalyst drivers).
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4086/~/geforce-hot-fix-driver-version-364.96

You should contact nVidia via forums and describe your issue there with additional information such as your system specs, mb model and version and so on. 

And you could roll back drivers to those that actually do work. Basically this is via trial and error to find the drivers that do work. Also you could narrow down the problem by monitoring your gpu and psu for voltage problems eg. with Tech Powerup GPU-z or MSI after burner or with CPUID hardware monitor and so on.

I'm runnin Win10 Enterprise with 364.72 without issues. And I'm using MSI GTX 960 4Gb + Asus B85-Pro Gamer + i5 4690K + 16Gb + 2x SSD. Thought I encountered some massive problems with my gaming rig (dram, gpu and psu and with voltages and bsod's) but I managed to fix it.

To put short: Narrowed down the problem to psu which failed in the end and I had wrong voltage settings -- it was on auto from mb and in fact the auto voltage setting was down-clocking stuff -- which caused Memory Management errors (in memory controller chip) with Windows Memory Diagnostic tools. Swapping psu didn't solve the issue completely but setting up proper voltages on the motherboard I managed fix it completely.

I found that reducing core and memory clocks by -100 eliminates the crashing/freezing instantly. this may not work for some, but from all the solutions, this was one which actually worked. Also do this at your own risk.

1. Download MSI Afterburner. Open the program with administrator privileges.

2. On the left hand side, you see two titles "Core Clock" and "Memory Clock". adjust the slider till you reach the threshold of -100 for both. 

3. Checkmark "Apply overclocking at system startup" so you won't manually have to adjust clocks after a reboot.

I didn't apply the overclocking on system startup so by the time my PC rebooted, it began the same "display driver crashing" issue or whatnot. Adjusted clocks again and it was gone. Good way to verify if this really remedies the problem or not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016/4/25 at 10:53 PM, carnaga said:

Same problem here.

I encounter black screen randomly, game turns into black while sound is still playing.
It will not recover and the only thing I can do is to force exit the game client.
System logged "display driver stopped working and has recovered" in event viewer.
Weird thing is it only happens when I play Warframe.

GTX980

359.06 driver.

Edited by aerosoul1337

I've been having this issue as well. Warframe causes my nvidia driver (several different versions, always the latest available at the time) to crash ever since the "graphics overall" or whatever it was a few updates ago.

Disabling DX 11 etc. didn't work.

Been using open hardware monitor to watch and see if I could get an idea of what was going on and it seems like what was happening was Warframe was instantly driving my GTX 670 gpu core to 99% load (at the login screen for warframe no less).

Tried messing with some settings to see if I could get it to stop driving it so high and if that would affect the crashes but didn't have any luck until today.

I usually run in borderless windowed mode and I still get 140+fps. I tried switching to full screen and as far as I can tell that lowered the gpu load massively (hard to tell exactly since full screen blacks out my other monitors so I have to alt tab out to check the monitor which changes the load/displayed values), but that wasn't an acceptable option for me since I like having stuff on my other monitors while playing.

What I have now tried and is working for me so far (fingers crossed) is setting the FPS limit in the warframe video options to 60. That's dropped the GPU load from constantly 99% to somewhere between 50 and 72% during high action areas.

Nothing on the PC changed, but when the update with all the lighting and visual changes came that's when this started being an issue, so obviously something changed in the game that is not playing well with my video card anymore, hopefully they find it and get it fixed, in the meantime, I figure maybe the FPS limit will work for other people too, so might as well post about it. =)

• 4 weeks later...

Reported this a couple of times before. The graphics come to a standstill after a quick stutter but the game does not crash and carries on regardless and I can still interact with it via keyboard and mouse albeit blindly. No choice but to Alt-F4. Getting seriously fed up with this almost daily occurrence, play for half an hour and for reasons that seem entirely independent of the graphics demand during play. On the odd occasion the video threatens to freeze but gets over it and carries on normally. If the game works fine the rest of the time, then there's really is nothing I can do in terms of disabling settings in game, pointless exercise. Similarly for any apps running in the background. 

Lenovo Thinkpad Y510P, Gforce GT 750 M, Windows 10

Same problem here. AKA Black screen/ display driver crash.

I am having this issue about a month or longer.

Check event viewer you can find the log from system category, (event source from display):

"display driver stopped responding and has recovered."

It seems to happen to Warframe only for me.

I still have an active report ticket about this, but tech support can not solve the issue.

I encounter black screen sometimes (randomly), game turns into black while sound is still playing.
It will not recover and the only thing I can do is to force exit the game client.
System logged "display driver stopped working and has recovered" in event viewer.
Weird thing is it only happens when I play Warframe.

I already reported this several times, provided logs and data they needed but tech support can not solve the problem in the end.

I believe I am not the only one. Anyone else has similar issue?

What I have tried:

Verify and optimize data

Reinstall Warframe

Run DDU(display driver uninstaller) and perform custom/clean install different drivers

Run memtest: no error detected

Cap frame rate at 200 instead of no limit

Restore my system image, rollback to 2 months ago

Monitoring the temperature, and it has nothing to so with overheat. Other games can reach higher temperature without crashes.

My rig:

Operating System
Windows 7 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

Motherboard
Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97

Display card
(EVGA) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4095MB
Nvidia ForceWare version: 359.06

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (10-11-10-30)

PSU
SeaSonic 650W

Edited by aerosoul1337

I have different specs but high enough to not be the problem.

i7-4720HQ, GTX 960M, 12 GB DDR3.

This is the second time I've had to force shutdown my MSI gaming laptop because the game black-screened during the loading phase. Keep in mind, just like the OP, my laptop has never black screened in all the 6 months I've had it (from any other game or program), and with all intensive games I've played on it.

When it works, like it does most of the time, it works great. 

I got the exact same problem in my laptop, desktop is fine. In laptop it can be running smooth as silk, no overheats, and suddenly it stutters a bit, and freezes, i don't touch anything in hopes that it goes over it, but no, i can listen to the enemies shooting me, or bashing, meaning the sounds continue and the game continues, if alone that's it, have to force the process shut, if im in a party, sometimes it recovers and i get disconn. Never happened in desktop, both have latest drivers, both are AMD, laptop has a 5850 mobility. If the devs don't really know what it is, give us at least a command to refresh the display if possible /refresh. :P

BTW my display never goes black, just freezes where it is.

Edited by carecaplatonico

I am not sure since when did this start to happen.

But it is unplayable for me now, it can happen in the last minute of trial or endless mission. This is frustrating.

The last thing I haven't tried is to downclock my GPU.

But I have been playing with this computer for a year without any problem.

Edited by aerosoul1337