Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More than visuals?

So I am a software engineer, I was wondering if there would be a possibility of getting more mod support from the programming side?

I originally was writing this post to ask if it was possible, the more of the Con's I list out below the more I would say no if I were DE so not expecting this. I did want to list my thoughts so if others had the same thought they could see some of this.

Here's the pro/con list from the outside:

Pro's:

• Community gains more freedom and have opportunity to contribute to warframe.
  • Rapid prototyping from non-DE employees means more opportunity vetting different design options

Con's: 

• API management. DE Engineers would have to provide API calls that modders could use.
    • Documentation: All the API calls + general architecture surrounding those calls would need some explanation
  • Potential Security Risks: opening up code makes everything more risky and exploitable
  • Workaround for cheat detection: The cheat detection system would have to know the difference between a debug and installed version of the game
  • Dev environment for non-DE staff would probably be pretty big
  • Game engine would have to be public or a harness project would have to be made to allow for testing

2 minutes ago, Mcl_BlueMadness said:

Completely different game, completely different context.

pro's and con's are ~ the same aren't they?

edit: ok. I guess i went brainless on this one.

Edited by Kiochy

Just now, Kiochy said:

pro's and con's are ~ the same aren't they?

So? They still mean completely different things in different contexts; which Warframe and Skyrim are in.
Skyrim has no online features. They don't have to worry about hackers, or version compatibility with other players. There's no login system, or any kind of DRM AFAIK. It's purely a single-player game.

Warframe, being an online game, has to worry about hackers. About security of user information. About version compatibility between all players, which is why the updates are mandatory. About people getting free Platinum and exclusive items.

For Skyrim, those cons are all but meaningless, which means the pros are obviously much more attractive. For Warframe, these cons would be a deathwish. Completely different contexts.