The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam version or non-steam version

xDeadlYx

Question

I just had this question for long time, what is really the difference between the steam version and the non-steam of the game. Is there is any performace differences or anything?

Edited by bosha2011

8 answers to this question

1 minute ago, TotallyLagging said:

I don't think I've ever heard of performance issues with the Steam version. Maybe if you play on a toaster like me then accidentally opening Steam overlay might lead to a restart.

With Steam you get access to Steam Workshop stuffs. I guess that's it...

So lets say i don't use that workshop or so, and i dont have a problem with it, still i wont find problems with the non steam one?

Just now, bosha2011 said:

So lets say i don't use that workshop or so, and i dont have a problem with it, still i wont find problems with the non steam one?

You also shouldn't verify your game files through Steam as it'll force you to download multiple gigs of useless files. 

Not sure why. Some said it's because Steam cloud stores an older version of Warframe, but I don't know the details.

16 minutes ago, TotallyLagging said:

You also shouldn't verify your game files through Steam as it'll force you to download multiple gigs of useless files. 

Not sure why. Some said it's because Steam cloud stores an older version of Warframe, but I don't know the details.

Steam typically only has the Warframe files updated upon major releases from what I can tell. So over the course of a few months all the hotfixes and gear releases since the last major patch accumulate. And since the checksums for the files in the Steam repository are different from what the launcher is providing as the current version? Well you get stuck redownloading what Steam says doesn't match its files and then the launcher freaks out and has you redownload everything that doesn't match its list.

Only verify from within the launcher, not via Steam or you will be spending the better part of a day recovering.