Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

VR "Muscle memory"

(PSN)zeratul____12

So ive been watching SAO recently when something got my attention.

When Kirito is in the real world after being in the game world, he and his sister have a duel, and hes able to hold his own against her when she is supposedly a tournament fencer. The show makes it out that he became so good just from being in the game.

My question is; is this possible? I think it is but it would only work with the SAO VR headset. The headset in the anime essentially blocks your brains signals from reaching the rest of the body, and uses those signals to move your character in the game, so its reading your mind. Just simply moving a controller wont work as your brain knows that your not doing what the character is doing, but a mind reading device can essentially trick the brain.

do you think its possible?

1 hour ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

Mythbusters did a thing about games improving IRL stuff, not VR, but the myth was busted.

.That was the golf training episode. Personally i thought that test was abit unfair. We have numerical  data of racers improving performance using a VR of a racetrack.

Here we are seeing a full body immersion into a world, where all senses in the body are manipulated. While physical strength might not improved, reaction time should be.

It would depend on the VR tech.

Take sleep for example, when you sleep your body will release a chemical to prevent you from certain actions so you wouldnt be running around while you dream of running. I watched the anime, but i have no idea how his nerv gear work.

Also you have to look into the gravity of the VR world, and how the input of his moves work. It could be redirected to a different way than actual world on how he move his body.

But if he is just paralysied, and his brain is actually firing pulse to body, then my guess would be yes.

However, he would lack the actual muscle to do anything for not moving 2 years, reality speaking he shouldnt be able to walk either. 

What you see in the anime at the end he kept on calling Asuna and walk out of the hospital, thats most likely the case after 3 months of not moving at all. So 2 years, my best guess is that not just difficult in walking but he wouldnt able to sit on his bed either.