The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Glaive Prime Worth It?

Spar_k

Question

In your opinions Tenno, is the glaive prime worth getting/potato'ing? In addition to that, what frames does it work well with? It seems that I can't find a set to save my life, and I'm wondering if the search for a set would be worth it. Also, this part of the question might be better is PHP/trading, but does anyone know who much a set costs? Not my main concern though.

The Glaive Prime is by far my most used melee weapon, I can go over why I like it, and then you can decide if it is right for you 

Firstly, the Glaive is a garbage weapon on melee classes, simple as that. It doesn't hit hard, crit well or status things. It has decent speed and range, but overall it is a crappy melee weapon.

What the Glaive does do well is supplement your damage output on frames that don't want to get into melee range. 

As far as build goes, you want to go with Pressure Point, Fury, Quick Return, Power Throw and then whatever else you want for damage. 

The key here is that power throw adds punch through and will cause the Glaive to explode on its last bounce, dealing massive AOE damage, and quick return causes the glaive to only bounce once, turning it into a mini missile launcher with infinite ammo.

The downside here is that you lose out on life strike hp regen, but this can be patched over with a Syndicate weapon for that delicious HP pop. 

But why even run it over another melee weapon? Well, the Glaive has a number of unique interactions.

Firstly, it will pass clean through nullifier bubbles, aim the hit just right,and you can blow them , and anything else in their bubble, apart. 

Secondly, the Glaive will explode when hitting shield drones, meaning that they act as a free airburst for your glaive, and since they die first, enemies conneted to them will lose their shield before taking damage. 

For more advanced players, glaive throws can also be used to cancel animations to allow you to maximise your damage output. 

Finally your Glaivesplosion benefits from all sorts of cool things, it can be boosted by Banshees sonar, invisibility melee boosts, and Ivaras navigator (I've been getting well over 200k damage out of the glaive on Ivara) 

So when all is said and done, the Glaive is a terrible melee weapon, but it has a really nice niche on a bunch of frames that dont need a melee weapon. 

Few things to consider:

Glaive is very specific weapon, with very peculiar throwing style. Some ppl like it, some hate it, you should try some common glaive and see how it feels. 

Glaive can be used as normal weapon too, if you have good stance for it.

Speaking of good stances, astral twilight is possibly among my favorite stances in whole game, it's utterly badass and it's so weird that DE keeps their best stances so rare among general public. It's expensive, get it if you can somehow. 

Glaive prime has mediokrish stats. Personally my favorite glaive is - cerata, peculiar damage type but very decent crit chance (only glaive with good crit?) so that you can use beserker and with twilight, this weapon is very good imo. And you can throw it at range - can be useful at times, especially like just now, only melee spy sortie, and you need something to take out cameras.