The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Tonkor build no forma

dodorichard

Question

I have a Tonkor which I used extensively on runs to kill bosses this weekend (one shot kills on bosses is particularly satisfying) but I found that on mid-level bosses (such as Saturn) the damage dropped off dramatically with much less criticals.

So, ideas on best build standard Tonkor with NO forma or only 30 points. Lets see if I can get a killing machine that's out of the box.

5 answers to this question

saturn and uranus may be bad examples for one and two shotting bosses, Ruk has fixed damage windows that open after so much flamethrowing while Regor has hard caps on damage dealt per stage of the fight.

but moving on serration, point strike, and argon scope if you have it, elemental mods for more damage if you can fit them.

Edited by Adrakal

Either:

30 points:
Crit build with Serration, Point Strike and Vital Sense.

Serration and Split Chamber.

Serration and two dual stat elemental mods.

60 points:

Crit build with Serration, Point Strike, Vital Sense, Argon Scope and an elemental mod.

Serration, Split Chamber, 90% elemental mods.

Serration, Point Strike, 90% Elemental mods.

Given the sheer damage Tonkor can pull off at base, the best bet is just buffing the hell out of it's base damage - and while Split Chamber does boost it's damage significantly, 15 is a lot of energy to use which limits it's place in a formaless build. Crit builds (without a potato you might need non-maxed leveled mods) or elemental builds will be the best bets, though since I don't do number crunching with these kinds of things I can't really tell you which is the 'best' of them.

there aren't any 'good' Loadouts without adding atleast a single Polarity.

Crit Chance and Crit Damage are mandatory, and the largest Damage increases that you can get for the Weapon.
after that, adding either Split Chamber/Serration/2 Status Elementals all go a few points over 30pts.

you need atleast one Polarity to start to get effective Damage.
either that or one of the Status Elementals you use being two ranks down. if you do that, it'll fit in 30pts. i'd really recommend atleast one Polarity though.
but this will fit, atleast.

if you use the right Elemental Combo for the Enemies you're fighting (if you're looking to not use a Potato or Forma though, you probably don't have most of the Status Elementals...), then what you see in the image will deal ~9200 Damage per shot. ~6790 if you use two random Status Elementals there.

Spoiler

uMotDeD.png

your second choice, is to use a Rank 8 Serration instead of two Status Elementals.

Spoiler

hje7DOR.png

this will deal ~8400 Damage per shot.

basically, if you can use the right Elemental Combo vs the Enemy you'll be fighting, then that's the way to go. if you don't have those Mods, use Serration instead.
or, a mix of the two if you don't have the Fusion Cores for Serration but do have some Status Elementals.

and if so, that would look like this. this will deal ~7440 Damage per shot.

Spoiler

Z41mt0z.png

in summary:

Crit Mods and two Status Elementals is the best if you can create the right Elemental Combo.
Serration instead of both Status Elementals is a fairly close second.
a low Rank Serration and a Status Elemental is the easiest to make but also the lowest Damage.

29 minutes ago, Shanicus said:

I don't do number crunching

if you don't do numbers, then how are you going to answer this question? how do you give accurate advice if you have no idea if numbers support?

Edited by taiiat

You don't even have a potato on this thing and you want a "good" build? No friend, you are not asking for a good build, you are asking for a miracle. Anyways, here is my shot at it:

R5 Serration, Virulent Scourge, vicious frost, R3 Point Strike