Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Improve how progress is saved.

-Kalysto-

With all of the server attacks recently, I figured I'd make a topic with my suggestion.

As far as I know, progress is only saved at the moment you extract. This is extremely bad when the servers are having connectivity issues because you could be, say 60 minutes into a survival and lose EVERYTHING you acquired until that point.

So my suggestion is simple, if possible, have progress save every 2-5 minutes during a mission, or simply change the fact it's only saved when you extract. This would prevent many people from raging when the servers are having issues and would make all of us happy.

Again, I don't know if this is possible... maybe they haven't done this because it could cause an overload on the servers. What I do know, is that if this keeps going on, then they need to find a way that stops the attacks from affecting the game and players so much.  

Previous games with client side caching of any information at all have been very vulnerable to client side hacks. Anything from using radar programs in pvp to speed and teleportation hacks. Can you imagine someone waiting until a server outage (or just maintenance), and then setting his client to give him the rewards of a 60 minute TIV Survival when he never did it?

Seeing as the client code is much more vulnerable to manipulation, I understand why it saves when it does and cannot retain the information if it can't save. That doesn't make it less frustrating, just understandable.

16 minutes ago, BarryPierce said:

With all of the server attacks recently, I figured I'd make a topic with my suggestion.

As far as I know, progress is only saved at the moment you extract. This is extremely bad when the servers are having connectivity issues because you could be, say 60 minutes into a survival and lose EVERYTHING you acquired until that point.

So my suggestion is simple, if possible, have progress save every 2-5 minutes during a mission, or simply change the fact it's only saved when you extract. This would prevent many people from raging when the servers are having issues and would make all of us happy.

Again, I don't know if this is possible... maybe they haven't done this because it could cause an overload on the servers. What I do know, is that if this keeps going on, then they need to find a way that stops the attacks from affecting the game and players so much.  

Saving progress every 2 minutes... isn't that the same as increasing the server load by thirty times? Assuming you exited at the 60 minute mark.

Think about it, instead of a progress update every time a game session ends, you're getting one every 2 minutes from every game session in progress. You'd be joining in on the DDOS attacks ^-^

Just now, Mithaldu said:

Heck, all they'd need to do is cache the results in the client, so if there are network issues, they can be restored once the network is healthy again.

Anything on the client, can be 'edited'. You know how people are...

Take a look at http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Warframe/achievements - where 1.5% of all Warframe players on Steam have "achieved" every possible Steam achievement for Warframe, including the ones for "achieving" Mastery Rank 22 ~ 30.

Unfortunately, the excrement that is the communities of players includes the kinds of people who would cheat / steal / pirate and justify it by claiming that if DE doesn't want it to happen, it's up to DE to prevent them from doing it.

That said, why haven't anyone done a simple DB query and just perma-ban that 1.5%? Overkill much? Like Steam achievements actually matter?

-----

How about DE's servers as the hosts? Not going to happen because of costs? Probably.

Right now, if you can't connect to DE's servers, it just keeps trying instead of telling you "out of luck", so at least we have that.

3 hours ago, Asphe said:

Saving progress every 2 minutes... isn't that the same as increasing the server load by thirty times? Assuming you exited at the 60 minute mark.

Think about it, instead of a progress update every time a game session ends, you're getting one every 2 minutes from every game session in progress. You'd be joining in on the DDOS attacks ^-^

Yeah I thought so too, but I dunno. I think they should come up with a better way to save progress