Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwizard's Warframe Concept Compilation - (Update 07/19/17) New Dust Ability Stats

Archwizard

Came in here expecting some crap, was only drawn in by the unusual numbers of replies. Glad I was wrong.

Aether and Dust are really, really cool ideas. They don't just sound unique and powerful, but also pragmatic. I cannot stress how often people post concepts whose powers either A.) trivialize all content in the most predictable manner possible or B.) sound cool but have utterly useless effects and stats. You have hit that good middle ground others should strive for.

On 4/23/2016 at 0:35 PM, Kyotra said:

Came in here expecting some crap, was only drawn in by the unusual numbers of replies. Glad I was wrong.

Aether and Dust are really, really cool ideas. They don't just sound unique and powerful, but also pragmatic. I cannot stress how often people post concepts whose powers either A.) trivialize all content in the most predictable manner possible or B.) sound cool but have utterly useless effects and stats. You have hit that good middle ground others should strive for.

Thank you so much!

Yeah, my process usually involves repeatedly asking myself the questions "Would I play this frame?" and "When would I ever use this ability?"... I feel those are questions more people in this subforum need to ask themselves before posting, since a lot of people who make concepts just throw out powers as examples while being more focused on the aesthetic of the frame (be it how good the artist is, or simply how well, say, a Spiderframe would fit in their collection).
For the most part, people just try to answer the combined question "Would I play my concept over X existing frame?" by giving their concepts similar kits (because... X existing frame works!) with a ridiculous niche to separate them.

Time Warframes in particular... eesh. I've seen a few concepts where the most creative parts of the kit are things like "Increase the speed of the mission timer in Survivals" and I just want to projectile vomit. I'm thoroughly against adding frames whose whole purpose is to be a designated or required position on every team playing X mission type - I'm presently pushing to get Nekros and Trinity reworked for at least as much.

On 4/5/2016 at 7:41 PM, Annon5150 said:

So Revenants 3 is supposed to make him kinda like a ghost right? So why not have its augment chill enemies you pass through to play wth the ghost theme.

That makes me think, his basis is entropy, what if when he's in this "ghost state" anything he touches starts getting pulled apart at the seams causing damage (and perhaps healing him).

20 hours ago, Krislen said:

That makes me think, his basis is entropy, what if when he's in this "ghost state" anything he touches starts getting pulled apart at the seams causing damage (and perhaps healing him).

I feel like thatd be a little too close to Limbo, pulling things into his "ghost state" the rift.

Hello people! for those who don't know, I offered my humble services (in partnership with @arch111) to @Archwizard, asking to do Revenant's concept.

This was my first concept ever of a fan-made Warframe and, due to being colour blind and having no experience on Photoshop or other digital tools, I stick to the good old graphite and paper. This is the final result:

HLj6qU7.jpg

I fllowed @Archwizard's instructions as close as I could, as well as giving some personal touch. Fortunetly, the idea I had of Revenant (and my inspirations) matched ArchWizards closely enough. He is meant to be a wretched creature, but not completely devoid of power. He is destruction embodied: broken, but energetic.

Only a few more details, and @arch111 will be free to colour him and pass him into the T-pose that characterizes their characters.

I hope you enjoy his looks!

On 4/27/2016 at 2:43 PM, Krislen said:

I thought about giving him a way to leech life from enemies through the augment (giving it a function that scales with Power Strength), but ultimately I decided I didn't want to make it "easy" for him to heal himself and create a feedback loop.

The problem with giving him a conventional Health->Energy converter is that our available Energy restoration effects (primarily EV and pads) are frequently abused to automate gameplay, particularly in nodes with endless enemy spawning like Interceptions, Draco. Personally I'm already campaigning to have more strict control over energy restoration systems for this very reason, including EV, and I didn't want to immediately turn around to put that role on someone else as has happened with these caves (ie Mesa replacing Excalibur when RJ had an LoS nerf, only to have Excalibur replace Mesa when her ultimate become a targeted cone).

In this case, his ultimate's limitation to getting the kill in order to heal yourself means that creating the feedback loop requires using him as the nuker - which won't happen in a loot cave because of the shape of his ultimate. If he could leech life each time he teleported - thereby eliminating the need to nuke - you'd end up with scenarios where he'd blink across the room and back as a precursor to Sacrifice (in complete safety, as a point of Unravel)... and that would become his entire playstyle.

Of course, ways around the built-in limitations exist, but I wanted to do my part to limit him on my end until those could be addressed separately.

... As far as just dealing damage, I specifically avoided putting flat damage values on the majority of the abilities in this thread so that the frames could scale. Most of the augments implemented in Warframe offer scaling functionality, and the few that don't are typically seen as useless.

Something that bugs me about Revenants teleport, I get that its supposed to be kinda ghostly and stuff but it doesnt protect him at all from rockets or fire patches. Maybe it could reduce damage too?

On 5/4/2016 at 11:17 AM, Annon5150 said:

Maybe it could reduce damage too?

It's tricky. I've thought about that too (in case, at high levels, that 50% chance to get hit means a 50% chance to die instantly), but I didn't want to set him up to potentially be a tanky frame (like how Mesa's set up to be able to snipe and counter other snipers, but people use Shatter Shield for melee builds instead), and any durability increase should come from avoiding damage in order to conserve HP for Sacrifice, rather than just making it more efficient.

On 5/3/2016 at 2:27 PM, Archwizard said:

I thought about giving him a way to leech life from enemies through the augment (giving it a function that scales with Power Strength), but ultimately I decided I didn't want to make it "easy" for him to heal himself and create a feedback loop.

The problem with giving him a conventional Health->Energy converter is that our available Energy restoration effects (primarily EV and pads) are frequently abused to automate gameplay, particularly in nodes with endless enemy spawning like Interceptions, Draco. Personally I'm already campaigning to have more strict control over energy restoration systems for this very reason, including EV, and I didn't want to immediately turn around to put that role on someone else as has happened with these caves (ie Mesa replacing Excalibur when RJ had an LoS nerf, only to have Excalibur replace Mesa when her ultimate become a targeted cone).

In this case, his ultimate's limitation to getting the kill in order to heal yourself means that creating the feedback loop requires using him as the nuker - which won't happen in a loot cave because of the shape of his ultimate. If he could leech life each time he teleported - thereby eliminating the need to nuke - you'd end up with scenarios where he'd blink across the room and back as a precursor to Sacrifice (in complete safety, as a point of Unravel)... and that would become his entire playstyle.

Of course, ways around the built-in limitations exist, but I wanted to do my part to limit him on my end until those could be addressed separately.

... As far as just dealing damage, I specifically avoided putting flat damage values on the majority of the abilities in this thread so that the frames could scale. Most of the augments implemented in Warframe offer scaling functionality, and the few that don't are typically seen as useless.

Yes I was specifically thinking of the damage being an augment i.e. "Entropic Fog" or some such.

On 5/10/2016 at 9:16 PM, Krislen said:

Yes I was specifically thinking of the damage being an augment i.e. "Entropic Fog" or some such.

And as I said...

On 5/3/2016 at 11:27 AM, Archwizard said:

Putting it in augment form isn't exactly any better - you're not going to waste space within your build for the benefit of one ability, without some form of scaling functionality. (And as a personal preference, healing shouldn't be that function as it diminishes the intended cost of Sacrifice.)

That said, I'm a little inspired to write up that kind of damaging fog as a modification to Tail Wind for Zephyr...

On 5/7/2016 at 1:23 PM, Archwizard said:

It's tricky. I've thought about that too (in case, at high levels, that 50% chance to get hit means a 50% chance to die instantly), but I didn't want to set him up to potentially be a tanky frame (like how Mesa's set up to be able to snipe and counter other snipers, but people use Shatter Shield for melee builds instead), and any durability increase should come from avoiding damage in order to conserve HP for Sacrifice, rather than just making it more efficient.

I guess that makes sense, though I still worry that he'll get screwed by rockets or fire patches. Maybe you could have the avoidance also prevent rockets from targeting you?

On 5/14/2016 at 0:50 PM, Annon5150 said:

I guess that makes sense, though I still worry that he'll get screwed by rockets or fire patches. Maybe you could have the avoidance also prevent rockets from targeting you?

I suppose teleporting can cause them to lose homing properties against you. As far as fire patches, he could just... stay airborne? Teleport away from them...?

Something that kinda bugs me about Aether, his 3 and ult are kinda opposites. One encourages movement while the other holds him in place. Isnt it a problem that he suddenly starts and stops all the time?

On 5/20/2016 at 0:47 AM, Annon5150 said:

Something that kinda bugs me about Aether, his 3 and ult are kinda opposites. One encourages movement while the other holds him in place. Isnt it a problem that he suddenly starts and stops all the time?

Possibly, I can see your point.

The idea for his 3 is that he creates this sort of "null space" for enemies to be unable to path through. Think of it like when you watch those films where someone puts an obstruction (like a shield or pillar) in the middle of an oncoming wave of water or flames, causing the wave to part to either side and creating a safe spot directly behind the obstruction; I wanted to have a way where a Space frame could make something like that, redirecting the current of objects in motion, creating sort of a slide for them to move down. Course the tech would understandably be tricky to work with, a player wouldn't really understand what they're looking at in any subtle manner, and just teleporting things out the far end isn't quite the same as "redirecting" them.

Anywho. The current shape of it came as an effect of the "slide" design; basing the geometry of it off of player movement was the best way to form an irregular shape, so you're really twisting the space around yourself. But yes, it does somewhat conflict with his ultimate.

The point of his kit, particularly the root on his 4, is really so that he doesn't need to move toward you - he has ways to hit you regardless of your distance from him, hence why he receives no movement speed increase from his 3 (earlier in his development, he actually was slowed by one of his effects, on top of the root). Presently I'm considering ways for the effect to simply not require movement, like being able to trace an area with your cursor instead, or perhaps a growing effect when you stand still (although this turns it even more into a souped-up Turbulence, which I want to avoid). When I developed my last concept thread, Tremor, there was an ability that could be traced by movement too, but the toggled effect determined the size and the actual effect was determined by Duration, rather than simply copy-pasting Firewalker; I may go for something along that model instead.

On 5/21/2016 at 11:24 AM, Archwizard said:

Presently I'm considering ways for the effect to simply not require movement, like being able to trace an area with your cursor instead, or perhaps a growing effect when you stand still (although this turns it even more into a souped-up Turbulence, which I want to avoid). When I developed my last concept thread, Tremor, there was an ability that could be traced by movement too, but the toggled effect determined the size and the actual effect was determined by Duration, rather than simply copy-pasting Firewalker; I may go for something along that model instead.

That coulcd be cool. Might be hard to trace in 3D though. Would be more fun than the growing effect though.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:15 PM, Annon5150 said:

Might be hard to trace in 3D though. 

My current thought process is:

Upon activation, Aether conjures a guided projectile at the target location, similar to Antimatter Drop; however, this projectile does not "detonate" on impact with entities or surfaces. While toggled active, the projectile leaves a trail behind with the same effects as the Twisted Path he can leave now. Once the toggle is deactivated, the projectile dissipates, but the trail remains active for a period affected by Duration. Reactivating the ability will cause the active trail to dissipate.

The length of the trail is affected by the amount of energy he pours into it, rather than Duration (unlike Firewalker) or Range.

On 5/24/2016 at 4:15 PM, Annon5150 said:

That coulcd be cool. Might be hard to trace in 3D though. Would be more fun than the growing effect though.

On 5/25/2016 at 4:42 PM, Archwizard said:

My current thought process is:

Upon activation, Aether conjures a guided projectile at the target location, similar to Antimatter Drop; however, this projectile does not "detonate" on impact with entities or surfaces. While toggled active, the projectile leaves a trail behind with the same effects as the Twisted Path he can leave now. Once the toggle is deactivated, the projectile dissipates, but the trail remains active for a period affected by Duration. Reactivating the ability will cause the active trail to dissipate.

The length of the trail is affected by the amount of energy he pours into it, rather than Duration (unlike Firewalker) or Range.

This sounds pretty unique, but now all I can think of is "Okami frame" >.>

Edited by Krislen

Twisted Path modifications:

-          Toggled; Aether conjures a haze-emitting projectile at the target location, which follows his cursor a la Antimatter Drop. This projectile will not "detonate" on impact with surfaces. Cost-over-time scales with the distance traveled by the projectile, and the speed of the projectile will double with the Zoom function.

-          While Twisted Path is toggled active, the summoned projectile's movements leave behind a translucent 'wake', the thickness of which is affected by Power Range. When Twisted Path is toggled off, the projectile diminishes but the wake continues to remain active for a period affected by Power Duration. The wake has no maximum length.

-          Enemies that pass through the wake (whether the effect is toggled active or not) will receive Slash damage and be teleported back to the side they attempted to cross from, but be turned around. Affected enemies are confused for a brief duration, a la Switch Teleport. Damage is affected by Power Strength.

-          Hostile projectiles and bullets fired into or aimed through the wake (whether the effect is toggled active or not) will be displaced in a random direction, a la Turbulence. Any homing properties are lost, and all affected bullets and projectiles have friendly fire enabled.

-          One-handed cast, may be used while airborne.

Augment: ??? – ???

-          ???

Conclave Augment: Mirrored Path – Enemies who pass through the wake have their controls reversed for a duration.

As you can see, since the effect is no longer "emitted" from Aether, it becomes less appropriate for him to gain a personal buff from maintaining the effect - which means he has room for a new augment, if anyone has suggestions.

Not really set on the "handedness" of this ability. Methinks I may change his ult to no longer be a two-handed cast, though.

Edited by Archwizard

I original thought about a time frame with 3 different forms: Past, present, and future. But he was too complicated to work out so I scraped off the project. But I still have the quest concept if you want to see. Dust pasts my time frame. And if you want to the frame's name you can use it,( just give me the name credit for the name if you use it). The name is Chronos, the timekeeper. Chronos is short for chronology. I might try to remake him later but I will not uses Dust's abilities in it.

On 5/30/2016 at 2:22 PM, Archwizard said:

Twisted Path modifications:

Reveal hidden contents

-          Toggled; Aether conjures a haze-emitting projectile at the target location, which follows his cursor a la Antimatter Drop. This projectile will not "detonate" on impact with surfaces. Cost-over-time scales with the distance traveled by the projectile, and the speed of the projectile will double with the Zoom function.

-          While Twisted Path is toggled active, the summoned projectile's movements leave behind a translucent 'wake', the thickness of which is affected by Power Range. When Twisted Path is toggled off, the projectile diminishes but the wake continues to remain active for a period affected by Power Duration. The wake has no maximum length.

-          Enemies that pass through the wake (whether the effect is toggled active or not) will receive Slash damage and be teleported back to the side they attempted to cross from, but be turned around. Affected enemies are confused for a brief duration, a la Switch Teleport. Damage is affected by Power Strength.

-          Hostile projectiles and bullets fired into or aimed through the wake (whether the effect is toggled active or not) will be displaced in a random direction, a la Turbulence. Any homing properties are lost, and all affected bullets and projectiles have friendly fire enabled.

-          One-handed cast, may be used while airborne.

Augment: ??? – ???

-          ???

Conclave Augment: Mirrored Path – Enemies who pass through the wake have their controls reversed for a duration.

As you can see, since the effect is no longer "emitted" from Aether, it becomes less appropriate for him to gain a personal buff from maintaining the effect - which means he has room for a new augment, if anyone has suggestions.

Not really set on the "handedness" of this ability. Methinks I may change his ult to no longer be a two-handed cast, though.

What if the augment gave it a chance to redirect bullets toward the attacker or other enemies?

12 hours ago, (XB1)KNIGHTX605 said:

I original thought about a time frame with 3 different forms: Past, present, and future. But he was too complicated to work out so I scraped off the project. But I still have the quest concept if you want to see. Dust pasts my time frame. And if you want to the frame's name you can use it,( just give me the name credit for the name if you use it). The name is Chronos, the timekeeper. Chronos is short for chronology. I might try to remake him later but I will not uses Dust's abilities in it.

Not sure its appropriate to just advertise your concepts in someone elses thread without relating to discussions.

11 hours ago, Annon5150 said:

What if the augment gave it a chance to redirect bullets toward the attacker or other enemies?

I was hoping that'd be kind of an innate effect of the ability - to paint this wall where bullets can go in virtually any direction, with friendly fire enabled.

Still, sounding like it's the best consideration so far...

On 6/1/2016 at 2:37 AM, Archwizard said:

I was hoping that'd be kind of an innate effect of the ability - to paint this wall where bullets can go in virtually any direction, with friendly fire enabled.

Still, sounding like it's the best consideration so far...

Well you could do something with the projectile or when enemies walk into it or when players walk into it.