Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do people say Dread is the best bow?

NGSBRReAPeR

Question

So I finally, for the first time after 250+ hours got attacked by Stalker (First time we escaped because our bodies and weapons weren't ready ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) and I got the Dread Blueprint, and I realized it's the same thing as Paris or Cernos but with Slash damage instead of Puncture/Impact. So, how is it better than those 2 weapons? You want Paris to puncture Armor and you want Cernos to annihilate shields, I only see Dread being useful against Infested, and just that

20 answers to this question

Because for first Slash scales WAY better at higher levels compared to any other IPS Damage, so this is it, then it has got the highest Red Crit chance of all the Bows, put in Argon Scope and a good aim and you've actually got nearly 100% Chance to Red Crit, which is completely insane.

Also Paris P. scales not really that good at high levels, I do prefer to use the Rakta Cernos or the Dread depending on how I do want to play the game, because the Rakta Cernos is more of a combat bow for fast action and rapid arrows but the Dreads gets more damage compared to it, so your choice in the end(the Paris P. is still pretty decent tho).

It has a higher crit chance which allows it to hit red crits more consistently and it is slash based damage, which is better for unarmoured targets and slash procs. It also is a more simplistic looking bow so I like it more aesthetically.

Just now, Pie_mastyr said:

It has a higher crit chance which allows it to hit red crits more consistently and it is slash based damage, which is better for unarmoured targets and slash procs. It also is a more simplistic looking bow so I like it more aesthetically.

Weren't red crits turned into just a Stealth Crit? And it's good against Infested, Flesh and Cloned Flesh (After all, slashing a Moa won't be as effective as puncturing a hole in it's forehead :P), so I don't see how it would be useful against Corpus, MAYBE Grineer if you put Corrosive DMG on it, but then you'd still have Bombards and Napalms to worry about because they have Alloy Armor and you have no puncture...

3 minutes ago, NGSBRReAPeR said:

Weren't red crits turned into just a Stealth Crit? And it's good against Infested, Flesh and Cloned Flesh (After all, slashing a Moa won't be as effective as puncturing a hole in it's forehead :P), so I don't see how it would be useful against Corpus, MAYBE Grineer if you put Corrosive DMG on it, but then you'd still have Bombards and Napalms to worry about because they have Alloy Armor and you have no puncture...

The reason slash is considered better is because at the level where enemies wouldn't die in one hit from the pure overkill of bows it is assumed that your team is running 4xCP so no-one has armour to worry about.

You must not have been around in a while, the original redcrit was applied to melees when you were invisible and scored a critical attack. But nowadays it's when you have a crit chance over 100% the remainder is a chance for your crit multiplier to double (2x--->4x). This can be very powerful when landing headshots as critical headshots are multiplied by 4 instead of the regular 2. 

-Edit-

Also armour isn't really that much of an issue for high end players, because they just use 4 corrosive projection auras to completely remove it.  

Edited by Pie_mastyr

If you're fighting some truly high level armoured enemies, for example in a leaderboard run or tac alert endurance, chances are you have a squad with corrosive projection. That means enemies have no armour and all that slash damage is gonna be mighty effective. A lot of people use Dread for that reason.

Just now, Elfalpha said:

The reason slash is considered better is because at the level where enemies wouldn't die in one hit from the pure overkill of bows it is assumed that your team is running 4xCP so no-one has armour to worry about.

Yeah but that's ONLY if you're running with 4 people and you use CP and sacrifice other good Aura

5 minutes ago, NGSBRReAPeR said:

Basically "late game" in warframe tends to be Void for many players. And with this, players take four corrosive projection auras, nullifying ALL armor. The same is true for high level grineer. Once you strip the armor away, slash is obviously the best base IPS to use and then you mod it with viral + heat to further the damage. A while ago DE re-introduced red crits into the system. The dread easily goes over 100% crit chance, and anything over 100% is a chance to land a red crit, which is technically a crit ontop of a crit. 

9 minutes ago, NGSBRReAPeR said:

I dunno what you're talking about with the stealth crits, red crits are even higher boosted damage crits with the (Crit Multiplier x 2) - 1 formula.

The Dread does sooooo much damage that it doesn't matter what faction you put it against and slash procs are finisher damage which are completely unresisted and bypass shield.

Edited by MarcusGraves

8 minutes ago, Redskull94 said:

Because for first Slash scales WAY better at higher levels compared to any other IPS Damage, so this is it, then it has got the highest Red Crit chance of all the Bows, put in Argon Scope and a good aim and you've actually got nearly 100% Chance to Red Crit, which is completely insane.

Also Paris P. scales not really that good at high levels, I do prefer to use the Rakta Cernos or the Dread depending on how I do want to play the game, because the Rakta Cernos is more of a combat bow for fast action and rapid arrows but the Dreads gets more damage compared to it, so your choice in the end(the Paris P. is still pretty decent tho).

If was gonna say Mutalist Cernos would be better because Toxin but then I looked at the Charge Rate of Rakta Cernos...o.0

1 minute ago, NGSBRReAPeR said:

Yeah but that's ONLY if you're running with 4 people and you use CP and sacrifice other good Aura

Even without CP's many people still prefer to use the dread even against armored targets. As most of your damage will be coming from the elemental combos anyway. The dread can red-crit easier, and therefore tends to be better for damage purposed across the board. 

You say other good aura's, but against anything armored over level 30 or so CP provides more damage boost than any other Aura. So the only other useful Aura would be energy syphon, and there are many better ways to get energy than that.

reason why slash is better than puncture

1 many (not all) but many teams run full CP which removes armor all together, leaving grineer with just flesh

2 even without CP if you think about it slash is still better vs both armored and shielded targets than puncture because of its proc, when slash procs it results in bleeding which does damage over time which if memory serves correct ignores armor and it certainly ignores shields compare this to punctures proc which just reduces enemy dmg, as far as killing is concerned slash works better in the long run than puncture (and impact)

dread ends up being the best of the bows because of raw damage output in a single arrow, it has the highest crit chance of any weapon in the game (tied with amprex) which results with it being able ot red crit more than any other weapon throw on an argon scope and have good aim you get non stop red crits

3 minutes ago, MarcusGraves said:

I dunno what you're talking about with the stealth crits, red crits are even higher boosted damage crits with the (Crit Multiplier x 2) - 1 formula.

The Dread does sooooo much damage that it doesn't matter what faction you put it against and slash procs are finisher damage which are completely unresisted and bypass shield.

Well when I looked up Red Crits a couple days/2 weeks ago it said they were Stealth Crits, guess I was wrong

But still, seems like it's only at its prime with a team of 4 with CP at max, so I guess Paris P/Mutalist/Rakta Cernos is the way to go on solo?

Still no, Dread does disgusting levels of damage even w/o CP x4, Paris P. would be 2nd best with Rakta Cernos coming in 3rd due to it's syndicate proc. Mutalist Cernos is just bad because it's a status bow which doesn't really work great with the sniper ammo pool and a really low 15% crit chance.

About the Mutalist Cernos I suggest you to just give up with it.

It's a completely garbage Bow and its "Toxic Arrow" doesn't even scale with mods. I mean WITH MODS.

You'll do 5 Toxin damage to lv5 enemies and the same will go to lv1000 enemies, it's just bugged and badly designed as it is right now.

18 minutes ago, MarcusGraves said:

Still no, Dread does disgusting levels of damage even w/o CP x4, Paris P. would be 2nd best with Rakta Cernos coming in 3rd due to it's syndicate proc. Mutalist Cernos is just bad because it's a status bow which doesn't really work great with the sniper ammo pool and a really low 15% crit chance.

You're forgetting a really important factor for Rakta Cernos: its charge time is non-existant. Strictly talking in terms of DPS, Rakta Cernos actually out-DPS Dread even despite its modest crit chance simply due to how fast it draws. And yes, its syndicate proc is utterly broken between the energy regen and the mass viral proc.

The meta pretty much accept Dread and Rakta Cernos as equals (which depends on your preference for DPS vs consistent single shot damage). Paris Prime trails slightly behind the two, but is a competent weapon all around.