Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Penalty For Quitting.

DaEnMgOeNl

Because i should be penalized for the game/map glitching out and making it impossible for me to continue, and not getting to keep any of the mods, credits and resources i've picked up along the way simply isn't enough of a punishment...

Stop whining about the odd jerk in public games and go play private or solo if you are so offended by it. Stop trying to punish legit players just because one or two guys upset you in an online game, okay?

Do you have a solution for those who crash, or those who unexpectedly have to leave for minutes at a time and don't want to make their entire team wait? Or is it just "screw them"?

If you leave or crash you won't need to rejoin another mission till the one you left is over. In an earlier comment I even said give players to option to rejoin missions they get disconnected from.

I have had issues come up that force me to leave a mission because I would be afk and no help at all to my team, that is on me. Bottom line if you are going to join a mission with other player there needs to be commitment to seeing it through and consequences for not doing so.

Having you unable to join a new mission only for the duration of the mission you left seems like a mild punishment in my view. I could have proposed a cumulative punishment in addition to that where habitual leavers after a certain number of infractions incur a 24 hour ban from the game.

Because i should be penalized for the game/map glitching out and making it impossible for me to continue, and not getting to keep any of the mods, credits and resources i've picked up along the way simply isn't enough of a punishment...

Stop whining about the odd jerk in public games and go play private or solo if you are so offended by it. Stop trying to punish legit players just because one or two guys upset you in an online game, okay?

Its not the odd jerk theres a lot of them, I say they need to be punished and they should be the ones forced to play solo/private. The glitches will be fixed, create bug reports for them to be addressed and request to be compensated for the pickups lost. These are things to be expected in a game in beta unfortunately. Co-op games with player not wanting to cooperate on the other hand are not acceptable regardless of the game's development state.

Its not the odd jerk theres a lot of them, I say they need to be punished and they should be the ones forced to play solo/private. The glitches will be fixed, create bug reports for them to be addressed and request to be compensated for the pickups lost. These are things to be expected in a game in beta unfortunately. Co-op games with player not wanting to cooperate on the other hand are not acceptable regardless of the game's development state.

Except you can't punish them, you can't criticise another person's playstyle because it's different from your own. Personally, I don't rush when I'm with other players as there is no need. Punishing players because they play differently to you is plain wrong.

Imagine if you liked running and some guy behind you said that he'd rather everyone walk and you were punished with the authorities breaking your legs. That's pretty much what you're suggesting in virtual terms to do to players who rush.

Except you can't punish them, you can't criticise another person's playstyle because it's different from your own. Personally, I don't rush when I'm with other players as there is no need. Punishing players because they play differently to you is plain wrong.

Imagine if you liked running and some guy behind you said that he'd rather everyone walk and you were punished with the authorities breaking your legs. That's pretty much what you're suggesting in virtual terms to do to players who rush.

This isn't about rushing this is about leaving the game in progress. The game punishes slow players when they are in the minority by having a timer start when half the team is at extraction. If you are the guy in the minority and you can't wait for everyone else you need to sit your happy behind at extraction and wait.

It goes both ways, if you prefer to rush and your team isn't rushing you need to slow down or play solo/private,

if you prefer to go slow and your team is leaving you behind then pick up the pace or play solo/private.

Leave the mission and pay the piper.

I thought this thread was about players rushing then leaving when their drops don't spawn?

My point is that you can't punish players for simply running ahead, if you want to sit behind and loot every container and someone else runs ahead and kills the boss, didn't get the drop they wanted and the other players are still dawdling around opening containers, you should not punish them for leaving.

And as you said, this also applies to people who are exploring, if someone rushes the boss and you have no chance to get to the boss in time for a drop, there should be no penalty for that player leaving either.

Punishment systems in co-op games are always bad, especially community suggested punishments like another suggestion in this forum that "bans people leaving for X amount of time". If blatantly bad ideas like that are implemented, I would see a lot of people (including myself) stop playing this game.

Actually you can extend my idea to this scenario as well. If one persons rushes the boss and solos him by the time the other players get there the drops may be gone. You should not have access to the boss without half the team being there just like extraction.

And no you should not be allowed to just ditched because you didn't get the drop you want like either. If the team agrees to do that then you wont have punishment because everyone leaves but when one guy does it and leaves the rest of the team to fight to extraction he should not be allowed to join another mission till the others are finished.

They should add a fairly simple rule. You dont go to extraction, you dont get the reward. That way if a person feels like quitting the second the boss is dead they wont profit from it.

It's already been done ages ago. People whined about quitters during boss farming, so DE made it so that if you abort or even plain fail a mission you don't get to keep any credits, resources or mods you picked up during the mission, essentially wasting all time spent on the mission. Except that didn't do anything to resolve the problem, the farmers just changed to quitting whenever they don't get what they want (which is usually most of the time), and all the legit players who are forced to quit due to bugs and glitches are punished instead, also making a failed game far more punishing and time wasting as it gives you next to zero progress.

At the end of the day, if the OP's ideas were implemented, boss farmers would simply switch to hardcore rushing instead of plain quitting a mission, and legit players who are forced to quit for legit reasons out of their control are punished instead. It's a never-ending cycle of whining and nerfs/additional restrictions, and the only real losers are the innocent legit players.

No matter how you look at it, if someone is just THAT offended by other players playing differently from them in completely random public games, they should be the ones to play private/solo. Because it's a PUBLIC game. You're an explorer who doesn't like rushers in your game? Go Private/Solo. Likewise, if you're a rusher who doesn't like explorers in your game, go private/solo. In the same way, if you are just so offended by players who quit missions when they don't get what they want from the boss, go private/solo. Get a clan, get some friends. They are already punished right now by not being able to keep anything they found in the mission up to this point, which means their time spent up to that point was already wasted. Quitters have their own legit reasons to do so, especially since 90% of Warframe right now is focused on farming the same content over and over and over. This is a GAME, guys. Stop being so serious and insisting on putting more and more restrictions to force everyone to play YOUR way and YOUR way only when you can easily just choose private or solo mode and play happily with like-minded players.

They should add a fairly simple rule. You dont go to extraction, you dont get the reward. That way if a person feels like quitting the second the boss is dead they wont profit from it.

You are missing the point, they already don't profit, the game doesn't allow you a reward for quitting.

The main reason they quit is because the boss didn't give them the drop they want and they want to get in a new mission ASAP rather than fight to the end. If the whole team wants to do that its fine but if they don't then you should pay for leaving the team high and dry.

Arrange a team ahead of time for your farming in chat, on the forums or ask clan members.

So I was in a boss run, by myself, trying to get through. Then this uber high level comes into my mission, may as well have teleported to the boss, kills him, then aborts the mission.

I end up behind because I am in a low level frame and stuck fighting mobs that they aggroed. In the end I never made it to where the boss was killed, never got the boss drops, used my revives and failed the mission.

Not to mention when I made a remark about it being a d**k move in chat some guy messages back that it was all my fault, I should have just ran through and ignored mobs and quit after the boss kill... Really!?

So my suggestion:

I think it would be nice if there was a debuff timer of some sort that if you quit a mission you should not be able to join another for like 5-10 minutes. Yeah I know the trolls will have some kinda something to say but hell, this was BS.

So you couldn't even get to the boss that he killed?  Not sure him quiting had anything to do with that but ok.  I don't like this idea because I rush with my friends (four of us in  a group) and if we don't get anything good we'll just quit.  Obviously that's not a problem for anyone because its 4 of us together all quitting.  A penalty would hurt that and no bueno.

Edited by Pourvoir

So you couldn't even get to the boss that he killed?  Not sure him quiting had anything to do with that but ok.  I don't like this idea because I rush with my friends (four of us in  a group) and if we don't get anything good we'll just quit.  Obviously that's not a problem for anyone because its 4 of us together all quitting.  A penalty would hurt that and no bueno.

Not if the penalty is based on if others are still in the mission.

Edited by Keiiken

Not if the penalty is based on if others are still in the mission.

Yes, let's open up a whole new way to troll people!

Play through a mission with someone else... They crash... I decide to simply not leave the mission... Now they can't play the mission! trolololo

Edited by RyojinOrion

I understand all the controversy on my suggestion, and agree that maybe a debuff timer is a bit excessive, but there are some other ways too.

for example:

~A bigger bonus for ALL members making it to the end of a mission (ie. random mod/core) or something to make it worthwhile for people to get to the end of the mission together.

~Some sort of "Block" option where you can block the people you don't want to play with and the squad finder doesn't put you in a group with those people.

~I remember them saying in Livestream 6 or 7 about a criteria thing where you can select if you are a rusher/farmer/explorer etc. that would be a great thing to see too.

for example:

~A bigger bonus for ALL members making it to the end of a mission (ie. random mod/core) or something to make it worthwhile for people to get to the end of the mission together.

Meaningless to BP farmers.

~Some sort of "Block" option where you can block the people you don't want to play with and the squad finder doesn't put you in a group with those people.

~I remember them saying in Livestream 6 or 7 about a criteria thing where you can select if you are a rusher/farmer/explorer etc. that would be a great thing to see too.

Agreed on both points. It doesn't eliminate the problem completely, but it helps.

I think it would. Farmers are going to generally go through the whole map reguardless of drops due to the fact that they are farming. Unless yes if they are just farming the BP. But explorers will likely go through the whole map.

Either way, just out of good decency most people will at the very least rush to the end.

Either way, just out of good decency most people will at the very least rush to the end.

I agree, but the people who join and quit if the BP doesn't drop aren't gonna stop doing that just because of a speed label slapped onto the mission, and isn't the thread about people who do just that, and not people rushing in general?

Part of coop games (any games with teamplay) is to deal with each situation accordingly. If you see people rushing ahead killing nothing it would likely be wise to just join in.

It's even easier now as they added the stupid cooldown for slide.

But people who whine about 1-2 bad situations ingame and then not wanting to learn something and adjust are the reason for future stupid nerfs.

I'm not defending what the rusher did but I'm also mad that snails are part of the reason why our movements got screwed up completely (it'll never be the same again).

In an optimal scenario we'd still have the slide "exploit" and I would've joined your game. Meaning I could've gotten around fast killing everything around you then pulling you with me sliding to every side opening crates and whatnot.

Guess there's no optimal scenario but I'm certain you'll find more optimal players and less optimal ones.

Also since the nerf you REALLY can't blame rushers much anymore. All power to them even if you had a very very bad example.

Edited by scavenge

but because of the peer to peer system, you just cant implement a penality.

90% of the games i join in are lagging.

if this game would be designed like competetive games, LoL for example, where one missing teammember can mean "loose". sure, penality, why not.

but here? no. you can still finish a game solo, if you cant...your problem. if someone helps you and then quits...also your problem.

I may have cut out some of this post, but it's the best reason I have seen.  Not everyone is getting a good enough connection to other players, even with the recent update that allows a preference filter on connection rate.  If someone can't even contribute then they can't be part of the teamwork needed and might be better off leaving.  A debuff timer would suck for the people that find a mission they just can't be part of due to the lag.

That said, there are some people that consider latency greater then 50 to be too laggy to play and so there is a limit to how much this excuse fits.  If the game is truly unplayable, then it's okay to drop.  Perhaps they could make sure the "drop debuff" doesn't apply when a persons average connection rate was extremly bad.

You can criticise a person's playstyle when they aren't putting in any teamwork.  This is a co-op game with a focus on players working together.  Rushing ahead is completely ignoring the team.  Yes if the team is exploring it does cause an impatient player issues.  But if they run ahead do something and then quit because they just want to, they aren't putting in any teamwork and really are doing the wrong thing.

When someone's playstyle drastically effects the other people in a damaging way, then it is a criticisable issue.  Before someone tries to turn this argument back on the people that aren't moving fast.  Making you wait less then a minute is not a bad thing.  You can afford that time easily.  Only when someone is specifically trying to make you wait rather then they are just exploring or taking longer is lagging behind bad.

I thought this thread was about players rushing then leaving when their drops don't spawn?

My point is that you can't punish players for simply running ahead, if you want to sit behind and loot every container and someone else runs ahead and kills the boss, didn't get the drop they wanted and the other players are still dawdling around opening containers, you should not punish them for leaving.

And as you said, this also applies to people who are exploring, if someone rushes the boss and you have no chance to get to the boss in time for a drop, there should be no penalty for that player leaving either.

Punishment systems in co-op games are always bad, especially community suggested punishments like another suggestion in this forum that "bans people leaving for X amount of time". If blatantly bad ideas like that are implemented, I would see a lot of people (including myself) stop playing this game.

It isn't specifically about punishing someone for running ahead.  It's punishing someone that ran ahead, caused plenty of mobs to be spawned.  They didn't kill anything except the boss, and didn't help their teammate.  They finally left which left behind a much more difficult mission for the player that was there in the first place.  He showed no teamwork and made the situation worse.

There are other missions where some sort of punishment for leaving should be in, and yes some people think they will end up not being able to play.  It comes up a lot for many games, but a punishment for leaving doesn't affect any reasonable players in a way they are bothered by.  You aren't going to be leaving games constantly nearly as much as you say you do.  Your connection will not be that bad every mission.  You will not get door bugs that affect less then 10% of players during every mission.  And if you decide that ice mission is too much of a hassle then you decided to take the penalty.

A five minute break would merely mean that you take the time to go to the bathroom or get another cup of water.  Of course that there is the second reason why there shouldn't be a penalty.  A five minute break is extremely low and would barely effect the rushers either.  Most times people try to think of a stacking punishment.  More like the first disconnect does nothing but say you left a game.  The second disconnect in an hour gives you a five minute timeout.  The third disconnect in an hour is a ten minute timeout.  The foruth disconnect would then stop you from rejoining missions for the rest of the hour at least.