Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tips for Spy missions

Gefy

Question

Okay, I suck at them. I need to obtain the Grineer Arcane Codices. My two frames are Rhino and Excal. Which should I use? I would also like some tips for not being detected. 

Thankls, Gefy

P.S. 

do not tell me to get loki or ash or any other warframe. Also, my MR is 3.

7 answers to this question

You don't need to worry about external alarms so before loki I would just bum rush the vault with my excal. No matter what racket you make outside the vault, it has no bearing on inside. Once inside switch to tiptoe in soft slippers mode and take your time. Vaults are not usually timed events and you can observe and assess obstacles for as long as you want. Having a good bow or other silent ranged weapon can help you take care of enemys walking around inside the vault if you can't risk sneaking up behind them. Using a shade companion can also help when not using a stealth frame. I always carry ciphers with me, even though Im not using them much. Sometimes something goes wrong, you bump a laser grid, grineer drone spots you, you fail to one-shot a sentry, whatever. Then you go full retard mode, mash through the enemy, cipher the locks and the vault. You don't get the extra credit but atleast its not a fail.

At each level the vaults and tile set get harder and the only real way to get decent at them is just practice, even if it means failing a few of them. You can run the vaults with any frame but I love loki for his stealth and switch teleporting with his decoy. Lets you cheese some traps that are pretty difficult to normal parkour through. A non-stealth frame I've had success with is valkyr. Her 1 is kinda useless 99% of the time but when you want to bypass an area that would require alot of fancy parkour moves, ripline can let you do it.

My rule #1: TAKE YOU TIME!

There is no rush inside. Sit for a while at the door and watch for patrols. Sentinel with Animal Instinct helps a lot as well as Enemy Radar or Enemy Sense.
Enemies have very predictive and repetitive routes and you are usually out of sight as long as you are crouching. Within the vault always crouch and move slowly. They won't spot you unless very near.

Silent weapons help a lot. Good bow is ideal as long as you can one-shot enemies but even if you can't you still want something silent to shot cameras or sensor bars.

Ciphers are very helpful here. You don't need to dish out 250k for batch blueprint. The basic one for 500 will do as well and is reusable. You will  usually need max 6 ciphers per mission (door and the terminal itself) but don't use them if there is no alarm.

If someone spot you rush to kill him with melee, preferable with slide attack as it deals massive damage. There is still a chance that he didn't alert others and no alarm will rise.

If  the alarm is set ignore all enemies and rush to the terminal using ciphers. Bullet jump through corpus laser barriers (I know you are on grineer part but anyway).

If you fail make you way to the terminal anyway and inspect all walls and ceiling. Watch for hidden passages and check where they go.

And last but not least: TAKE YOUR TIME!

You don't need Ash or Loki (or Ivara or any other stealth frame) to do spy vaults - although they do make things easier for you.  And, whether you use Excal or Rhino shouldn't matter.  The best way to not be detected is to know the vaults and know all the shortcuts and passages in the vaults that you can use.  All of them have pathways that you can use to avoid detection.  I think the best advice is to either search and search and search some more (like maybe after hacking a vault or failing it, walk around the vault area and find all the vents and other pathways you can find) or check out some videos on Youtube.  You can also do a search on these forums.  Someone posted a series of videos they had done running all the vaults, multiple different ways, with Oberon and showing how to do them without being detected or setting off the alarms.

Just now, Gefy said:

JESUS LORD I TOLD PEOPLE NOT TO TELL ME TO GET A NEW FRAME!!!!!!!!!

Oh sorry didn't read. I just jumped in xD Try using Excal but bring some ciphers from the market and only use it when you have to. Also if you have a Intruder mod. if you don't have one, ask a someone to give you a spare one, they rather cheap to throw away. The intruder mod would slow down the hacking on the Grineer and increase time on the Corpus

In lieu of getting a new frame (which I'm assuming you'll get around to eventually), here are some tips:

1)  Invest in a silent ranged weapon with high single-target damage.  Any of the Bows (not Mk-1 Paris) are good, as is Lex Prime with Hush equipped.

2)  Take your time to work out the 'back way' in for each vault, as it usually involves a lot of sneaking around and trace amounts of cheese.

3)  Don't worry if you mess up a vault.  It took me 6 months to work out one of the Corpus ones (I felt kinda dumb afterwards, but that's okay).

4)  Remember, you can stay in the vault as long as you like.  Don't rush yourself - an extra two minutes is worth the undetected thievery (especially if you get all three without setting off alarms - you'll get specters).

5)  Play on SOLO while you're learning - it'll take the pressure off.

As far as stealth is concerned, if you know the vaults well enough you can do them with rhino.

Best frames for each faction's spy:

Grineer - literally anything that can to a forward roll or kickslide (i.e. all of them).

High-Level Grineer - frames with invisibleness (ash, ivara, loki) help significantly.

Corpus - Teleporters (ash, loki), cheesers (loki, limbo), or high mobility frames (zephyr, mirage, ivara, loki).

High-Level Corpus - this is where the invisible teleporters (ash, loki) do their best work.

Infested - Uhhh, you don't see these.  Like ever.  Just bring whatever and brute force the vault if one ever shows up.

Orokin - Well, ain't this the thing.  Invisibleness is never a bad thing, but high mobility is also important.  Ivara and Loki work best.

Loki shows up a lot on these lists, which is why you see people saying "get Loki".

Hope that helps!

Get a Loki, Ivara or an Ash. Preferably a Loki. Go with High duration and efficiency build with loki but leave a space for intruder and rush. You can place rush or intruder onto a Exlius slot if you have one. Or you can just build some ciphers and press Y for quick use when hacking and avoid being in line of sight

Just now, Ibro156 said:

Get a Loki, Ivara or an Ash. Preferably a Loki. Go with High duration and efficiency build with loki but leave a space for intruder and rush. You can place rush or intruder onto a Exlius slot if you have one. Or you can just build some ciphers and press Y for quick use when hacking and avoid being in line of sight

JESUS LORD I TOLD PEOPLE NOT TO TELL ME TO GET A NEW FRAME!!!!!!!!!