Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Inner bird geek made me post this

notlamprey

It's spring migration season in the americas, which means a bountiful harvest of fabulous birds for those of us who like spotting them.

These aren't my pictures, but I feel compelled to share the joy of birb. What follows is a small collection of the best-looking species to grace my balcony feeder so far.

Birb the First: Indigo Bunting

Spoiler

indigo-bunting.jpg

Birb the Second: Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Spoiler

vvvvvMaleRose-breastedGrosbeak2.jpg

Birb the Third: Blue Grosbeak

Spoiler

blue_grosbeak_4.jpg

Birb the Fourth: American Goldfinch

Spoiler

american-goldfinch1.jpg

Alabama may have voted for Trump, but at least we have birds.

*deep in the forests of earth*

Rose-breasted Grosbeak : *cheep?*

Zephyr:Rose? is that you?

Rose: *chirp, chirp*

Zephyr: omigosh! i've been looking for you forever!

Rose:*cheep*

Zephyr: it has been a long time,sister. you still dating that Goldfinch?

Rose:*chirp,chirp,CHEEP*

Zephyr: eesh. touchy subject i guess. c'mon let's catch up over some birdseed

*both peck at a nearby grineer corspe*

Spring = Birds.gif

Territorial bastards Magpies. As for pretty birds we do get various lorikeets, parrots, rosellas, finches, and wrens.

Eclectus Parrot:

Spoiler

eclectussm02.jpg

Crimson Rosella:

Spoiler

Crimson_Rosella-ct280-280x208.jpg

Rainbow Lorikeet:

Spoiler

Rainbow-Lorikeet-Flying.jpg

Painted Firetail:

Spoiler

5f0c543cd74b9fd40bfb1dcf154809a6.jpg

Superb fairywren:

Spoiler

superb%20fairy-wren%2001.jpg

Then there is galahs, cockatoos, corellas, cockatiels, currawongs, and kookaburras.

Blue winged Kookaburra:

Spoiler

5006330004_2e2e3b4548_z1.jpg

3 hours ago, Postal_pat said:

Then there is galahs, cockatoos, corellas, cockatiels, currawongs, and kookaburras.

Ah yes, the noble galah. There's a classic Australian recipe for galah, if I recall.

The prettiest birds I saw were on the Gold Coast. (☞゚∀゚)☞

1 hour ago, notlamprey said:

Ah yes, the noble galah. There's a classic Australian recipe for galah, if I recall.

The prettiest birds I saw were on the Gold Coast. (☞゚∀゚)☞

☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Ingredients: 1 Galah plucked, 1 stone.

Directions: Place galah and stone into billy and cover with water. Cook over fire for three days, topping up with water as needed. Once stone has softened, throw away galah and eat the stone.

Sparrows, Great tit (English WHY?!), Bullfinches, Magpies, Jackdaws, Ravens, Crows, might have heard singing of Nightingales, Blackbird, have had been hearing Mews screaming and some Great Spotted Woodpeckers. I might have seen some Hollow tit (again English WHY?!) also I have seen and heard Pigeons.

Finland is really good country for bird scouting for whole year. Just set up a place where birds can eat in Winter and just watch the birds come. Although at last Autumn and Summer. Goldeneyes, Mallards, Buntings, Cranes (bird), Whooper (How is that a bird name?), Jays, Curlews, I have seen Loons, Red-throated divers, Barn Swallows, Lapwings and Wagtails (really fitting name). Much younger I have seen some Waxwings. Have heard singing of Pied flycatcher and Greenfinch also seen Greenfinch.

Yeah I guess you guys must be thinking that I am pulling you on a rope but I have lived in areas and been in areas where you can see a lot of birds ranging from a bit everywhere. I might have heard singing of Pearl Owl. Have seen Black Woodpecker when I was younger. Right now when I am living in city I don't expect to see a lot of birds. When I was younger I used to live in really small villages and areas where human population wasn't so big.

Edited by Revel72

13 hours ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

Plenty of these in my area. In fact a friend has 10 pigeons and every time he sets them to fly, the hawk would just pick them off. 3 are left and won't even leave the coop.

hawk.jpg

Replaced the image, it was insensitive.  

aww that sucks, i really like pidgeons

None here where I live now, but when I lived in upstate NY... egrets all the time in the Upper Hudson, and one of the best parts about heading up into the High Peaks was the chance to see one of these:

Peregrine_Falcon.jpg

On 4/15/2016 at 9:29 PM, Sixty5 said:

We have RareParrot 

Your image link is broken.  I'm guessing it was a kea, the only parrot to miss the "Hey, screw these mountains, we're moving to the tropics" memo.  Probably why it nibbles the fat off the backs of the sheep to this day.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Cwellann said:

Your image link is broken.  I'm guessing it was a kea, the only parrot to miss the "Hey, screw these mountains, we're moving to the tropics" memo.  Probably why it nibbles the fat off the backs of the sheep to this day.

nah man, Keas are common

I was talking about the Kakapo

Its is a flightless parrot that likes to shag peoples heads

In short-Edgy Chickens

In a place near where I'm currently staying, there's this breed of chicken which the locals call kadaknath.

most notable for being black to the bone (literally)

69f0934248715c0de52c726dcbd8df4f.jpg

even the eggs are black

Kadaknath-Chicken-Breed-3.jpg

apparently they taste super good, so they're super expensive.

next is the satyr tragopan, it's a local pheasant found in areas near my hometown,

satyr_tragopan_cock_pheasant_close_up.jp

and finally, the state bird from my place,the blood pheasant 

blood_pheasant1.jpg