Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Good Rhino Is?

Krauserlols

Hey guys im kinda new to them game and the warframes.

In all games im always a fan of the tough, tank like brute of gameplay. You know rushing in first, beat some baddies up then ask questions.

My problem is i havent seen a single Rhino since i started, not a single one. and the forums dont help.

All i hear is "Rhino is weak" "Ember is a better tank" "Rhino's armor does nothing" and so on.

I want to hear it from someone who has played (or still playing) as Rhino and can tell me how good he really is.

Thanks for reading!

Rhino is incredibly slow.  Like annoyingly so.  You will get left in the dust by faster frames, and by the time you arrive everything will be dead.  In missions like Deception, or Sabotage Rhino is one of the worst choices to bring along.

On missions like Defense or Mobile defense Rhino is unstoppable.  In any area that does not require mobility as much as a need to soak damage, then Rhino is your guy.  I have not played him since they took away the stun effect of his radial stomp, but he was completely unstoppable.

Now as solo, Rhino is great, you do not notice how slow he is when playing solo, and a decent rhino can solo any level without difficulty.  Definitely boost his armor, HP and shields.   

Hope that helps.  I still own a level 30 Rhino.

But Ember is better..........

btw how do i get his stuff? i know its Jackass who drop it (i know its Jackal but thats how i call him) but he havent drop it at all

We kill him until it does drop...would you like some help farming it?

If so add me and I can help you for a bit...

some of my comments regarding the Rhino atm,

he's still a bad &#!,

game play:

basically, he's a slow one, that makes your pinky hurts to run and slide to give a bit of speed boost,

he got the highest Shield Recharge rates, along with Frost and Excalibur Prime. (22.5)

the dude got high enough base armor, making Steel Fiber worth it on him (150), coupled with 150 base Health, he's quite tough for both shooting engagement and infested slaughter fest, added that he got 15 seconds of 800 immunity shield (read: Iron Skin).

for another game play aspect, he's now quite tactical,

for the CC he's good enough with Iron Skin (works both as a CC and defensive) to force the enemies attacking you, fulfilling your role as a tanker to buy squad mates some time.

Rhino Stomp is another less favored CC for now, it incapacitate all enemies in it's AoE and slow time around them, turning them as an easy target or give your squad mate some time to save their butt (i heard there's a problem with this skill atm, tho i'm not sure, i rarely use this one).

Offensive, he got Rhino Charge, which i take as both offensive and CC ability, this skill hurts now, with a maxed level mod card, it's very versatile, usable as an instant panic movement to get to a point (like, cryopod got raped ! who left it unguarded hah !? whuuuuush rhino charge hurr durrrr) a long enough straight path charge, dealing high small AoE damage at it's end that knock down enemies, and lastly,

Radial Blast, huge AoE, i mean it, huge, AoE, dealing 1000 damage (maxed mod card) to all enemies standing in it's area, works both as a CC if the target doesn't die it's knocked down (like Heavy Grineers or Ancients) and kill almost any normal / common enemies. quite powerful !

note:

Armor only affects HP

Rhino Thrak helmet slows you even more, long time ago, when you have this alt helmet equipped, you can't tell whether if your Rhino is sprinting or walking. it doesn't really matter as you can sprint crouch jump zoom combo as a movement alternative rather than walking to get left behind. a pretty good trade imo !

equipping a fast firing melee weapon like Fang or Daggers with maxed Fury mod slapped in it will help you air slide much further (doesn't seems like an intended game mechanic)

i forgot what i was going to type, will edit this later.

-edit:

take a good note about Rhino's Iron Skin, - responding to a 'i do not play Rhino or at least not in high level defense mission.'

beware, wall of text

ok, about the recent changes to Iron Skin mechanic, this skill used to be a 15 seconds of immunity from everything, the recent patch changes the mechanic into, if you hit a limit of 800 damage, the effect will drop, even before the duration runs out.

against the pew pew:

the game scaling atm is somewhat problematic, as enemies, aside from having more damage at higher level, also having a higher RoF and accuracy, thus even with Iron Skin popped up, it doesn't last longer than you can find a cover in the middle of a boss platform in assassination mission. point is, Rhino is no longer a walking god-blessed tank that can't die (given a good supply of energy), thus, forcing the player to use this skill more tactically rather than spamming it.

the tanking is given thru the aggro from the skill, yet the 800 runs out pretty quickly if you tank a horde of the unholy Grineer's Grakata slapped with only god knows what mods in it (i'm damn sure we can't make our Grakata as powerful as theirs.)

but the question is, why ? why would you tank it all ?

because some people get used to it.

the recent changes have forced me to be more tactical in both solo and co-op play, don't get in the middle of a room, full with Grineers in Ceres (or even Sedna), or Corpus in Pluto (hell Moas know how to spam the pew pew), clear them before entering, your squad member will take care of your back, or if you play solo, pop the Iron Skin if your shield get half-ed, when they suddenly spawn out of nothing from the room you just cleared. -or just use Radial Blast, it surprisingly is still an insta gib for most enemy there.

the Iron Skin becoming useful when unexpected things happen and you need a panic button for some more time to save your &#!, things get dire and in the middle of a crowd, popping the Iron Skin is wrong, ti helps for another few second, you need mass CC ability which, even if the enemies aren't exploding, at least they are knocked down (isn't it more CC like ?)

Manually CCing a group of corpus crewman hitting the cryopod using their Prova is just like any other frame will do, Ground Slam with a melee weapon that have large AoE radius and a Shocking Touch in it, tho the Moas aren't affected .. you can try some more melee weapon to stagger the Moas, (as a not that Amphis sadly doesn't stagger them).

against the infested:

get a heavy melee weapon. some people uses long / dual swords but i don't yet find any of them to be more useful or works better as a tanky for this faction. given that heavy melee weapon have a stagger immunity, countering the infested's stagger spam fest which is quite ridiculous.

hey isn't this working for all frames then ?

yes it is, but this is a requirement (imo) to be good enough as a tank in this faction. tank does not run, he does not back up, a tank, a brute tank rush forward to the enemies, tanking them head to head !

no that's not good in gun fight, but infested do not shoot ! no pew pew here, there's only a slap on your frame that stunt lock it to die in matter of second, even with your Iron Skin popped up.

(note that i'm talking about end game infested missions.)

seriously, pops Iron Skin up and tank those horde of Chargers. it's gone in split seconds. you need something else, if defense itself isn't enough, get something more, your enemies have god damn offense ability, try it, get some offense, a weapon ! oh there's a weapon that helps you to tank ! no stagger !? good ! what is it !? heavy melee weapon ! yaaay !

Iron Skin in high-end infested missions does not works as your damage absorb-er (well it does a bit). most people get it wrong here, even if it's true pre nerf patch, it's no longer works that way. the main function for the Iron Skin here is to prevent you getting leaped, staggered, or disrupted.

so how do you avoid taking damage ?

don't let yourself taking damage by simply destroying the source of the damage.

get a heavy hit melee weapon for a fast multiple target dispatching by simply normal attacking (normal combo have an AoE damage in 2nd hit that damages all nearby enemies [having North Wind equipped helps you a lot to prevent incoming damage]) or when you have your Iron Skin up, you can start spamming Charge Attack -> case when Ancients starting to coming to you. try to get a shotgun to stagger the incoming Toxic Ancients - do not ever try to tank them even with Iron Skin -, their Toxic impact damage (the damage you get when having a direct contact, not the DoT) burns your Iron Skin in seconds. Strun and Boar have more spread compared to Hek to stagger more than 1 target at once, tho lacking usefulness in longer reach.

i admit that i can't solo Xini, Palus, Viver, Outer Terminus up until wave 30 by myself as a Rhino, maybe Nyx is better in it, but i prefer more action rather than CCing the whole mess.

maybe the "tanking" is different from most games, where you take the whole damage by aggro-ing the mobs or something like that (i love tanker too ! :D) here in Warframe the game is forcing the player to have more CCing the crowd.

Why Rhino then ? where is the tank if he can't take much damage ?

because he draws aggro much better than Loki's Decoy or Saryn's Molt. they are gone faster and doesn't draw aggro as much as Rhino's Iron Skin.

congratulations if you made it here, reading thru all those mess.

this is where my point of view comes that Rhino is still good as a "tanker".

he used to be a god mode frame with his Iron Skin, yet he could not "tank", he just doesn't die (talking about naked nick inside the Cryopod, your dying squad mates, and .. maybe something else ?)

if it's about surviving, maybe there's more capable frames out there, but this is how i manifest a tanker role in a game, one who will take or not take, or something that saves your &#! by getting the hit. and yes, Rhino does get the hit, he took the whole aggro, just don't stand there taking all the damage, do the CC, do the CC dude. it comes back there again, i feel like i actually do the tanking when my friends are safe from the danger, when the Cryopod is safe from the hits, while to survive, i will need to do either the mass CC or take the whole enemies fast enough.

tbh i do not like the current design making the Iron Skin is somewhat useless, it's partially can't take the damage sustained by taking the whole aggro (about the damage scaling and skill's max damage take capability) but here i am trying to get used to it, to live with it. i like it this way better (still i don't like the scaling) than it was before, i now have a role to draw aggro to save naked nick's butt inside the cryopod, i can pop Iron Skin and yell "GET YOUR EFFIN &#! HERE !" to a boss as he tries to land a final blow to my dying squad mate.

so, what is it you seek ? a tanker ? what is a tanker ? a guardian ? a defender ?

i don't know what to call him, but i'm happy as a "tanker" when my friends and naked nick are safe, even if it means i have to take all the hate from the enemies. i'll still find a way to stand and buy my comrades some time.

-edit2: Off Topic-

eh why is this in Warframe Feedback section ? >.>

isn't this belongs to General Discussion ?

Edited by Adagio

some of my comments regarding the Rhino atm,

he's still a bad &#!,

game play:

basically, he's a slow one, that makes your pinky hurts to run and slide to give a bit of speed boost,

he got the highest Shield Recharge rates, along with Frost and Excalibur Prime. (22.5)

the dude got high enough base armor, making Steel Fiber worth it on him (150), coupled with 150 base Health, he's quite tough for both shooting engagement and infested slaughter fest, added that he got 15 seconds of 800 immunity shield (read: Iron Skin).

for another game play aspect, he's now quite tactical,

for the CC he's good enough with Iron Skin (works both as a CC and defensive) to force the enemies attacking you, fulfilling your role as a tanker to buy squad mates some time.

Rhino Stomp is another less favored CC for now, it incapacitate all enemies in it's AoE and slow time around them, turning them as an easy target or give your squad mate some time to save their butt (i heard there's a problem with this skill atm, tho i'm not sure, i rarely use this one).

Offensive, he got Rhino Charge, which i take as both offensive and CC ability, this skill hurts now, with a maxed level mod card, it's very versatile, usable as an instant panic movement to get to a point (like, cryopod got raped ! who left it unguarded hah !? whuuuuush rhino charge hurr durrrr) a long enough straight path charge, dealing high small AoE damage at it's end that knock down enemies, and lastly,

Radial Blast, huge AoE, i mean it, huge, AoE, dealing 1000 damage (maxed mod card) to all enemies standing in it's area, works both as a CC if the target doesn't die it's knocked down (like Heavy Grineers or Ancients) and kill almost any normal / common enemies. quite powerful !

note:

Armor only affects HP

Rhino Thrak helmet slows you even more, long time ago, when you have this alt helmet equipped, you can't tell whether if your Rhino is sprinting or walking. it doesn't really matter as you can sprint crouch jump zoom combo as a movement alternative rather than walking to get left behind. a pretty good trade imo !

equipping a fast firing melee weapon like Fang or Daggers with maxed Fury mod slapped in it will help you air slide much further (doesn't seems like an intended game mechanic)

i forgot what i was going to type, will edit this later.

thats some good advice

thats some good advice

No its pretty bad and you can tell he doesnt play rhino in high end missions. The whole Iron Skin is usefull bit carries that fact. Not being mean, just truthfull.

Edit : In order not to troll ill answer the OP.

There are basically two types of people who post in rhino threads. People who say hes fine (which he is, up until id say Eris). And those who think hes a complete mess.

The fact is Iron Skin is broken atm. Radial Blast simply is not worth its energy cost. Rhino Stomp is sad reflection of Vaubans Bastille (and a ultimate to boot). Rhino charge is about the most solid skill and even tehn its a poor mans slash dash that is bugged to heck.

Add in the fact the frame is slow. SLOW. Like, smash your head on the keyboard slow.

Trust me when i say this. Ash is a MUCH better choice for a solo frame. 

Edited by WARLOCKE

No its pretty bad and you can tell he doesnt play rhino in high end missions. The whole Iron Skin is usefull bit carries that fact. Not being mean, just truthfull.

There are basically two types of people who post in rhino threads. People who say hes fine (which he is, up until id say Eris). And those who think hes a complete mess.

The fact is Iron Skin is broken atm. Radial Blast simply is not worth its energy cost. Rhino Stomp is sad reflection of Vaubans Bastille (and a ultimate to boot). Rhino charge is about the most solid skill and even tehn its a poor mans slash dash that is bugged to heck.

Add in the fact the frame is slow. SLOW. Like, smash your head on the keyboard slow.

in that case does the developers have said anything? like buffing or reworking him?

They have said that Iron Skin is going to get another re-work. But its the whole frame that needs one. If you look at some of the other frames that are a mess and have been for months then you may conclude that it wont happen anytime in the next few months.

Edited by WARLOCKE

The Rhino's entire role is undermined by its own nature.

That which makes it different is that it is "tough" and can withstand a bit more damage than other Warframes.

This places it in the "tank" category.

But while most multiplayer games with a "tank" class also feature a dedicated healer, there is no dedicated healer in Warframe.

As such, the Rhino's usefulness in its primary role actively diminishes over the course of a battle, because its "toughness" is depleted and not replenished.

While damage, stealth, or agility-focused Warframes will remain 100% effective until they die, the Rhino becomes exponentially less effective leading up to his death*, until, on death, his purpose is inverted.

Where once he existed to draw fire from teammates, his downed status renders him invisible to the enemy, who will then focus fire on those same teammates.

Basic conceptual flaws aside, the Rhino is fun if you like big armour and stomping on things while shouting "HULK SMASH!"

* (Example Rhino has 100 health. Example Rhino takes 50 damage. Example Rhino suffered 50% health loss. Example Rhino takes exactly the same amount of damage again. Example Rhino has suffered 100% health loss. Rhino's "toughness" relies on his shields not popping, lest he suffer an escalating chance of absolute failure with every tick of damage. While this threat of health loss is true to all Warframes, only the Rhino has been designed/balanced with durability as the primary concern and thus, only the Rhino's performance is directly diminished by health loss.)

Edited by MXXVI

I duo defense missions with a Rhino as a Nyx or Vauban myself. The buddy I play with is pretty inexperienced and just likes to smash things hardstyle (which is why I recommended the Rhino to him), and I can tell you this - he's a damn beast in defense missions.

I can leave him in the dust pretty easily on raids or captures or the like. Eliminations I tend to stay with him just because...well he's a Rhino. Defense? I just watch him make fireworks. He uses a Burston and doesn't have half a clue what he's doing but he absolutely steamrolls everything in his way, even the top-tier defense missions on Pluto.

tldr - it's slow for sure, but if you like the HULK SMASH style of gameplay, there is no doubt that the Rhino is fantastic at it. It never gets old watching him barrel into a huge pack of ancients or techs and just beat the living crap out of them in seconds while barely taking any damage at all. If I tried to do that I'd be torn to bits, he just laughs as he tears them to shreds.

Edited by Mhak

I duo defense missions with a Rhino as a Nyx or Vauban myself. The buddy I play with is pretty inexperienced and just likes to smash things hardstyle (which is why I recommended the Rhino to him), and I can tell you this - he's a damn beast in defense missions.

I can leave him in the dust pretty easily on raids or captures or the like. Eliminations I tend to stay with him just because...well he's a Rhino. Defense? I just watch him make fireworks. He uses a Burston and doesn't have half a clue what he's doing but he absolutely steamrolls everything in his way, even the top-tier defense missions on Pluto.

tldr - it's slow for sure, but if you like the HULK SMASH style of gameplay, there is no doubt that the Rhino is fantastic at it. It never gets old watching him barrel into a huge pack of ancients or techs and just beat the living crap out of them in seconds while barely taking any damage at all. If I tried to do that I'd be torn to bits, he just laughs as he tears them to shreds.

He uses a burston.........has no idea how to play.....but steam rolls pluto? Sure, why not. Man I also know this trinity player who uses one lato, is a total scrub and he is a beast in defense!

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please refrain from posting obvious mis-information in the future. Or else.

Rhino is a lot better off then most people on the forums are willing to admit.

He is still the tankiest warframe in nature, Iron Skin offers a spammable 800+ (with focus) HP shield that makes you immune to Crowd Control. It also can draw aggro from nearby enemies to take the heat off your teammates (or Cryopod).

The issue most of the people complaining about the current state of the Rhino is simple, they were too used to the Rhino's old invincibility mechanic, which effectively removed any danger of the Rhino dying, ever. The current version of Iron Skin certainly still needs work, but its nowhere near as bad as some people would have you believe.

The Rhino also has some solid CC abilities in the form of its other 3 abilities:

Rhino Charge does respectable damage while knocking down anything that survives, and gives the slower-paced Rhino some mobility.

Radial Blast is extremely strong in its current state, and does ult level damage in a short radius while knocking over enemies in range. Great for clearing out weaker enemies (particularly large swarms of Infested), and knocking over anything it doesn't kill.

Rhino Stomp does a minor amount of damage, but is one of the best CC skills in the game. It puts everything within a huge radius in a "stasis" state for 9+ (with Continuity) seconds when maxed out. To my knowledge, this includes every boss in the game. Its utility cannot be overstated, it CCs even the highest level enemies in the game for its full duration, allowing you and your teammates some breathing room in even the toughest situations.

and for the record, yes, I have played the Rhino at end-game. I own every Warframe but the Vauban atm, and have played them all extensively. Rhino is one of my most played frames, even after the Iron Skin nerf.

Edited by lZerul

I still use my Rhino from time to time, to solo defense missions vs infested.

But, only because I don't have a Vauban or Frost. Like people said, he's slow. If you haven't played a rhino/tank, you don't even know man, you don't even know. For me he's so slow I actually only take off my rush mod for solo defense missions, in online I still need it to get loot and back to pod in time again. 

Iron skin's only use on high level is CC immunity really, since it burns through the hp long before the c/d. On low level it really doesn't matter once you're 30/high enough, once you're stomping around with 500/500+ shield/hp and armour mod, you just use it not be cc-ed again. 

The one exception is stalkers, I love being rhino vs stalker, iron skin, shield, iron skin, shield, etc. But it's not like you can easily solo him, so you have to A: get a stalker and B; get it to target you and C: not be solo..

Charge and blast are fun, stomp has more use, but you're so slow that it's easier to just shoot stuff, or, iron skin and melee blindly.

If he wasn't so annoyingly slow I would play him more and I'm glad I got him and up to 30, but once you move away from Rhino to a new frame, it's hard to go back to those lead shoes.

Another gripe: he is so big that it interferes with my camera, takes up a lot of space in view, hardly see your sentinel and such.

Edited by BradKing

He uses a burston.........has no idea how to play.....but steam rolls pluto? Sure, why not. Man I also know this trinity player who uses one lato, is a total scrub and he is a beast in defense!

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please refrain from posting obvious mis-information in the future. Or else.

Or else? Look at the little internet sheriff we got over here. Aren't you adorable. Kids these days...

Here's some info for you, big guy - It doesn't take a lot of skill to steamroll things on a Rhino. You press a couple buttons to take way less damage and blast through enemies. I'd say you're the one who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. On top of that you apparently haven't learned that threatening people over the internet is basically just announcing that you're still learning about the internet on your parents computer, considering most people learn the futility of that very quickly. But you're not at that stage yet.

I'd ask you to stop embarrassing yourself but personally I'd like to see your response for the entertainment of everybody observing.

Edited by Mhak

it's SLOW and doesn't really have anything special regarding offense.

While other frames can run through or just kill everything in seconds, rhino has to crawl and acquire lead poisoning in the process.

speed mod and you keep up or pass other people and rhino charge covers alot of ground

Rhino is incredibly slow.  Like annoyingly so.  You will get left in the dust by faster frames, and by the time you arrive everything will be dead.  In missions like Deception, or Sabotage Rhino is one of the worst choices to bring along.

On missions like Defense or Mobile defense Rhino is unstoppable.  In any area that does not require mobility as much as a need to soak damage, then Rhino is your guy.  I have not played him since they took away the stun effect of his radial stomp, but he was completely unstoppable.

Now as solo, Rhino is great, you do not notice how slow he is when playing solo, and a decent rhino can solo any level without difficulty.  Definitely boost his armor, HP and shields.   

Hope that helps.  I still own a level 30 Rhino.

But Ember is better..........

again sprint speed mod and your fine

rhino does just fine one high level stuff. hell i solo most of the pluto maps with him.

burston is great if you can aim with it. for instance it can one burst pluto enemies if you know how to compensate for the recoil of each bullet.

My opinions on Rhino:

Very slow, but you can keep up if you use his abilities and the environment properly. That said, don't expect to be winning any races.

He's tanky, with the highest base shields of all the Warframes currently. Tied with Frost.

His first ability, Rhino Charge, is a CC version of Slash Dash. Slightly shorter range, slightly less damage, but knock down anything but bosses.

His second ability is Iron Skin. It draws aggro from any enemy in range, and gives you a health buffer ranging anywhere from 200 to 1040 points of damage, not affected by armor. Affected by Focus. Lasts 15 seconds. Rolling on thr ground allows you to take far less damage from just about any enemy, but keeps their aggro.

His third ability is Radial Blast. It does one thousand damage to anything in range, and knocks them down. Think Avalanche in fast forward.

Rhino Stomp, his fourth ability, does a minor amount of damage and stuns ANY ENEMY IN RANGE (bosses included) for 9 seconds.

Overall, he is a very fun and empowering Warframe. My current favorite.