Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scindo or Orthos Prime for rank 3

game4ever07

Question

Sup guys, im a new rank 3 player whos about to get his first new warframe (Rhino). I just got my first OC and Forma, and im planning to use em wisely on something that would last longer (or possibly even forever). I currently have Excalibur 30, Dual Ether 30, Zhuge (17ish), Akzani (27), Strun (30), and Gram (13 i guess). I also just finished getting a carrier.

I happen to have enough platinum to buy Orthos Prime or Scindo Prime (Not the initial 50 Plats that we get at the begining, relax). I dont have any stance yet, and some other prime bp worth 100 ducats. Dont ask about mods, assume i have just-okay-for-now mods (but i finally got my first aura yeay! - its pistol ammo).

Soo, since im planning to focus on my Rhino now (since i have a crappy internet connection, preferably solo build) what should i be gettin? Orthos for farming with Excalibur, stick with Gram for Rhino so i can use the remaining plats for Forma/OC/Mods? or gettin the Scindo and build it all the way up the hard and long, long way? oh and i can also build a Gelatine, should i?

Youre welcome to give any advice, perhaps even my planning is bad? or do you have another alternative weapon for me to make? or maybe i just need to buy more Mods? Oh i also have the resources to build a Nyx, just so you know.

Thanks before :)

11 answers to this question

The problem with making an "amazing weapon" at the start, everything else you make (via shop credit blueprints) is going to fall short. Instead of experimenting with various weapons to find the ones you like and fit your playstyle, you will always fall back on that one "amazing weapon" which will in turn hurt your mastery rating. You need to level A LOT of things to gain mastery rank, so the more and varied weapons you use, the faster your MR will increase.

That being said I love my Orthos P, but if plat is tight, you should definitely use it on slots. More slots means more options because you can have more weapons/frames and you aren't constantly selling things off to make space (for a weapon you might dislike but have to level). Orthos P is cheap because it is common and easy to farm. Run your missions to get void keys, run the void to get better mods and prime parts. If you don't want or care about those mods/parts, sell them or trade them on trade chat to get things you do want. Even random "junk" pieces go for 1-2 plat if you are desperate to get some. People buy them to trade them in for ducats to use at the trader who shows up every 2 weeks. Which is another thing you can do to make plat (use your junk to get ducats and buy something from the trader and sell that).

Edited by Wopel

6 minutes ago, Catoriii said:

Orthos is actually waaaay different than its prime version. The normal version I hated, which is why I never considered the prime version for the longest time. But the prime version is so much nicer.

That said, I do agree that slots are much more important. I spent quite a while grinding up plat to buy 7 extra slots, and it was really worth it. More weapon slots will be needed too as someone finds weapons they enjoy playing and wants to keep.

Yes some primes are massive improvements over their normal counterparts. However *mostly* the "feel" of the weapon, i.e. the way it shoots, its reach, ect, translate quite well from normal to prime. Some weapons like the Orthos are meh and need that prime bump to make them into decent weapons. But building a regular orthos will let you know what fighting with that type of weapon feels like. And honestly at MR3 your probably better off not using primes. One, because you are probably going to feel almost punished to go from a nicely forma'd prime back to an unranked regualr weapon to level it for mastery, and two because the enemies your fighting for the most part at that level don't need some wildly modifed 10K red-crit capable weapon to kill. You can do a good chunk of the starchart with a mk-1 bo or skana so plat tossed on primes is virtually wasted. I didn't build my first prime until MR8 although I had all the parts farmed for several...

4 minutes ago, Cydro_ said:

My advice; don't get either. Farm them with a group or by yourself. That plat is much better spent on slots, and later your Endgame FashionFrame

oh okay, so slots are THAT important? Thanks Ill think about it man. But assume at the end i still buy one of those, which one you prefer me build?

15 minutes ago, game4ever07 said:

oh okay, so slots are THAT important? Thanks Ill think about it man. But assume at the end i still buy one of those, which one you prefer me build?

Orthos would be better in the long run. But slots are super, super, super important. Buy all the slot for all the things

13 minutes ago, game4ever07 said:

Primes are usually not that far off from their base model. I would suggest building and trying out the non-prime varients to see what fits you better. Anyone on the forums could suggest their favorite weapon only to have you spend plat and hate it.

Like Cydro_ said, you are best off to keep the plat for slots. When you finish rhino I guarantee you are going to be already looking at another warframe that you want to get, or you want to keep the weapons you have but really want a certain new weapon....and need a slot for it. Unless you are blessed with a large wallet or a dose of RNGjezus in the void or derelict, plat is not the easiest stuff to get and really easy to blow really fast only to regret it later when something more practical comes along that you can't afford.

13 minutes ago, Joel_The_Jackle said:

Primes are usually not that far off from their base model. I would suggest building and trying out the non-prime varients to see what fits you better. Anyone on the forums could suggest their favorite weapon only to have you spend plat and hate it.

Like Cydro_ said, you are best off to keep the plat for slots. When you finish rhino I guarantee you are going to be already looking at another warframe that you want to get, or you want to keep the weapons you have but really want a certain new weapon....and need a slot for it. Unless you are blessed with a large wallet or a dose of RNGjezus in the void or derelict, plat is not the easiest stuff to get and really easy to blow really fast only to regret it later when something more practical comes along that you can't afford.

I see, okay thanks. Ill do just that then

38 minutes ago, Joel_The_Jackle said:

Orthos is actually waaaay different than its prime version. The normal version I hated, which is why I never considered the prime version for the longest time. But the prime version is so much nicer.

That said, I do agree that slots are much more important. I spent quite a while grinding up plat to buy 7 extra slots, and it was really worth it. More weapon slots will be needed too as someone finds weapons they enjoy playing and wants to keep.

8 hours ago, Catoriii said:

Yea a lot of ppl said so, thats why i thought ill give it a try. But then again, i guess slots are important. 

7 hours ago, Joel_The_Jackle said:

Yes some primes are massive improvements over their normal counterparts. However *mostly* the "feel" of the weapon, i.e. the way it shoots, its reach, ect, translate quite well from normal to prime. Some weapons like the Orthos are meh and need that prime bump to make them into decent weapons. But building a regular orthos will let you know what fighting with that type of weapon feels like. And honestly at MR3 your probably better off not using primes. One, because you are probably going to feel almost punished to go from a nicely forma'd prime back to an unranked regualr weapon to level it for mastery, and two because the enemies your fighting for the most part at that level don't need some wildly modifed 10K red-crit capable weapon to kill. You can do a good chunk of the starchart with a mk-1 bo or skana so plat tossed on primes is virtually wasted. I didn't build my first prime until MR8 although I had all the parts farmed for several...

Hmm i kinda got that with my Gram, just didnt feel him at all thats why i made Dual Ether. Umm about that, well yes i did think it would be a pain to gain level without increasing my MR, especially when im still this low. Regarding the overkill thingy, wouldnt it be better in the long run if i decided to make one early? I mean it can help me in the short-run and in the long-run well, i just need to enhance it. But i get ur point, thanks for the thoughts :)

11 minutes ago, Wopel said:

The problem with making an "amazing weapon" at the start, everything else you make (via shop credit blueprints) is going to fall short. Instead of experimenting with various weapons to find the ones you like and fit your playstyle, you will always fall back on that one "amazing weapon" which will in turn hurt your mastery rating. You need to level A LOT of things to gain mastery rank, so the more and varied weapons you use, the faster your MR will increase.

oh yeah right, never think it this way.... well then sadly i have to say goodbye to any primes then, thanks man