The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Easy way to have Oberon's passive in all tilesets.

Mak_Gohae

This is super easy to fix. Have roaches and rats in all tilesets.

The roachatrons (that's the name of the future roaches) climb into the guns of the enemies and cause them to misfire.

The ratrons (future rat names) jump on the mobs faces and have them stagger around for a couple of seconds.

I'm okay with Oberon going full Druid with Fairy elements [insert LaBeouf, Just Do It scream here], and knowing about the original Oberon, little would need to functionally change in abilities, mostly visuals (Smite, Renewal and Reckoning being Fairies or Fairy Dust/ Wisps Willow Wisps and so on, while Hallowed Ground adding Vine effects with existing tiling) and QoL elements as being able to cast everything on the go would be sweet, but maybe unnecessary with the idea of the passive.

So as for a passive, I like the name to be One with Nature and have been leaning towards something that can really aid teammates, but still be useful solo.

My current thought is to grant 500% armor, -100% Status Effect/Duration from enemy attacks/abilities and 1.00 energy gain per second when standing still (only allowing certain actions like reviving an ally or kubrow to not cancel), this way the passive can stack with Hallowed Ground, Renewal and Reckoning with how Oberon stays in place casting those and with the cost of his abilities with 150 max energy without modding, and a Y aura polarity.

Animation-wise, I was envisioning vines growing into the ground to hold Oberon in place, and retracting once he began to move again for the passive.

And remember, Oberon would need to stay standing still and not performing many actions; so with his low base armor, maybe the passive would work fine as brainstormed.

Edited by SPARTAN-187.Thanatos
clarity on a point

12 hours ago, Archwizard said:

Or, better idea:

Pick a side on whether he's a paladin or a druid, and build him toward one or the other rather than teetering on the line between them and calling him a hybrid of both.

I think it's very clear that he is a druid at this point.

This just another of DE using the description of the visual look, i guess, to explain the frame that confuses people.

Sort of like Atlas being described as a brawler while his moveset is elemental rock.

20 hours ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

My current thought is to grant 500% armor, -100% Status Effect/Duration from enemy attacks/abilities and 1.00 energy gain per second when standing still (only allowing certain actions like reviving an ally or kubrow to not cancel), this way the passive can stack with Hallowed Ground, Renewal and Reckoning with how Oberon stays in place casting those and with the cost of his abilities with 150 max energy without modding, and a Y aura polarity.

yes lets give 500% armor increase for a passive because if one tentacle for hydroid is OP then giving Oberon 750 armor is not OP as all(that would be highest in game) and status immunity as a passive that is 100% chance is also great nothing totally gamebreaking and outshadowing every other passive in the game. You know what lemme also make this stack with his other abilities especially hallowed ground which would give him at least a 20% armor increase to his already insane armor value. you know what how can be a paladin if he can't provide energy to himself almost as good as energy siphon. Passives are supposed to be fun little boosts that warframe get not ridiculous poorly thought of ideas. Next time you want to say something think about it if you dont you'll just look stupid like now. And The last thing you said makes sense as according the the warframe standards Oberon is a paladin. It doesnt have to be like the WoW paladin or the diablo paladin its their game so their concept can be totally different

1 minute ago, (XB1)KickassNinja14 said:

yes lets give 500% armor increase for a passive because if one tentacle for hydroid is OP then giving Oberon 750 armor is not OP as all(that would be highest in game) and status immunity as a passive that is 100% chance is also great nothing totally gamebreaking and outshadowing every other passive in the game. You know what lemme also make this stack with his other abilities especially hallowed ground which would give him at least a 20% armor increase to his already insane armor value. you know what how can be a paladin if he can't provide energy to himself almost as good as energy siphon.

Passives are supposed to be fun little boosts that warframe get not ridiculous poorly thought of ideas. Next time you want to say something think about it if you dont you'll just look stupid like now. And The last thing you said makes sense as according the the warframe standards Oberon is a paladin. It doesnt have to be like the WoW paladin or the diablo paladin its their game so their concept can be totally different

This is a forum, where we can discuss without name calling. No need for the color commentary there either.

As for Hydroid, I do not like that passive either, but I'm still drawing a blank on a better alternative myself.

Remember, the drawback is key, and the idea has since evolved to scale with enemy level, and again only when standing still does it actually kick in, if necessary, I can clean that post up too.

So when standing still (and say only being able to say Revive), the value of armor would be around ~1163 against level 30 enemies, for example, and for that value, needing to have Steel Fiber, Armored Agility and standing on Hallowed Ground, which is still less total armor than Chroma, Valkyr and Atlas to name three that I am most familiar with, that can still dodge and move around with that level of Armor (plus Valkyr has Hysteria).

So the key aspect I'd like to keep at the forefront of his passive is a means to raise Oberon's effective Health under a very particular circumstance. My experience with Oberon has demonstrated to me that Armor rating is the best way to boost Oberon, since he can already gain a high health pool and has an ability to gain health and regen.

Therefore, instead of directly boosting his armor rating, I figured that using his passive to give him the armor he needs when most vulnerable would be the way to go.

The aspects of status and energy regen can easily be taken off, in order to at least raise Oberon's effective Health IMHO.

As for being a Paladin or not, I'm personally at the point where I'm fine with Oberon being a Druid with Fairy theming elements so that a proper aggro drawing Tank Paladin can be considered.

12 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

Sort of like Atlas being described as a brawler while his moveset is elemental rock.

Not... at all like that, no.

Atlas: Brawler, Elemental Earth
Hydroid: Pirate, Elemental Water
Mirage: Jester, Elemental Light
Limbo: Magician, Rift
Oberon: Paladin, Druid, Fairy, Radiation Elemental

13 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

I think it's very clear that he is a druid at this point.

... How?

Okay, they have him in a tree in the relay. The only thing in his powers that's remotely earth-y is Hallowed Ground. His armor is based on a stag to elicit a sense of nobility befitting a Paladin (not that looks particularly matter here). His powers still invoke holy fire and blinding lights. I'd still say he's intended more as a Paladin than the others - he's just gotten severely sidetracked.

Just make him gain a killed eximus's effect for 5 seconds. Is useful, fits with the theme of paladin and kinda ties into his acquisition method. Isn't overly OP as eximus enemies are fairly rare normally and 5 seconds isn't long enough to capitalize on it to OP extents. Gives him some lategame scaling due to eximus targets being more common in harder contents.

If they want to do a beast passive, DE should just make him buff the companions of his allies and steal the loyalty of the companions of his enemies (i.e. rollers, ospreys, carabus cubes, etc.), so they fight for him... or something like this.

Edited by (PS4)GR13V4NC3

On 5/15/2016 at 2:12 AM, Archwizard said:

Not... at all like that, no.

Atlas: Brawler, Elemental Earth
Hydroid: Pirate, Elemental Water
Mirage: Jester, Elemental Light
Limbo: Magician, Rift
Oberon: Paladin, Druid, Fairy, Radiation Elemental

Ok, you do know how you separated Oberon from the rest right? For some reason you decided to discuss the nature of the name and the status effect of some of his powers past the visual and power theme.

And this can be done with all of them.

Atlas: Brawler, Earth Ele, Titan, Impact.

Hydroid: Pirate , Water ele, Animal, Impact.

... How?

Okay, they have him in a tree in the relay. The only thing in his powers that's remotely earth-y is Hallowed Ground. His armor is based on a stag to elicit a sense of nobility befitting a Paladin (not that looks particularly matter here). His powers still invoke holy fire and blinding lights. I'd still say he's intended more as a Paladin than the others - he's just gotten severely sidetracked.

Oh, so you want him to be a Paladin. Ok.

Anyway, back on subject.

On 5/15/2016 at 2:19 PM, (PS4)GR13V4NC3 said:

If they want to do something like this, DE should just make him buff the companions of his allies and steal the loyalty of the companions of his enemies (i.e. rollers, ospreys, carabus cubes, etc.), so they fight for him.

Well, they are following a nature theme so this is not going to work with machines.

Also, almost all rollers and ospreys are not companions. So this will not work with that.

I think that simply adding more wildlife is the easiest thing to do. And adding specific wildlife for him to use. Because if we are going to be using the current wildlire it may end up being a bit OP. Those dogs and rays are very strong compared to the standard mobs that are in the same map.

2 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

Ok, you do know how you separated Oberon from the rest right? For some reason you decided to discuss the nature of the name and the status effect of some of his powers past the visual and power theme.

And this can be done with all of them.

Atlas: Brawler, Earth Ele, Titan, Impact.

Hydroid: Pirate , Water ele, Animal, Impact.

Not actually true.

Hydroid is damage-type agnostic; all of his abilities deal damage, but only two of those abilities deal Impact damage like you say his theme is. In total, his damage types are Impact, Slash, Finisher and Magnetic, with no particular one in "greater" effect than the others.
Meanwhile, all of Oberon's damaging abilities deal some amount of Radiation damage, and it's such an important facet of his identity that he received an augment to grant Radiation damage to his allies, like the other core elemental frames - which is still more than you can say for Atlas' connection to Impact damage.

Atlas' Titan theme has no more influence on the execution of his abilities than his Brawler theme does - at best you could just substitute one word out for the other. Hydroid's abilities do convey as much of a Sea Monster theme as Pirate, true, but given how few consistent mechanics there are to go on for a full Pirate class beyond aesthetics, the themes arguably have overlap rather than conflict.
Oberon's Fairy theme is more than just nominal, as it influences the execution of his abilities, causing Smite and Renewal to fire wisps or sprite-like projectiles (the travel time of which are frequently considered one of his weakest aspects). His Druid theme was simply cosmetic, but given the passive that this very thread is discussing, it's about to impose on his abilities. A Paladin theme has enough archetypal facets to it that it doesn't need to overlap with others to create a full class of Warframe, and there are still aspects of that theme yet unexplored - the only reason it isn't more influential in his kit is because he's basically run out of room, and everyone's up in arms to make those Fairy/Druid aspects any less mechanical to create room to bolster the Paladin aspect.

2 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

Oh, so you want him to be a Paladin. Ok.

Anyway, back on subject.

Phrased like that somehow makes me a crazy person? Like being a Paladin is off-topic when we're discussing Oberon?

His internal name, as determined by datamining, was Paladin. They publicly announced him as a Paladin. They sold him in a Paladin Bundle. His canon weapon of choice is a heavy mace, and his Proto skin bundle comes with a sword and shield skin, neither of which exactly fit into the Druid or Fairy themes, but fit the Paladin to a T. All of his ability names have divine connotations, and all of his ability effects focus on light, purity and protection, like a friggin' Paladin. It's the absolute biggest influence on his kit, and it's more effort to diminish that aspect than it is to encourage it. So yes, I want him to be a gorramn Paladin, 'cuz that's what we were told we were getting.

I'm not saying he can't still be a Druid or Fairy... aesthetically. Just that he should mechanically focus on one theme to determine execution.

Edited by Archwizard

On 5/17/2016 at 1:27 PM, Archwizard said:

Phrased like that somehow makes me a crazy person? Like being a Paladin is off-topic when we're discussing Oberon?

It is off-topic when the topic is discussing ways to make his probable passive workable in all stages.

If you want to discuss his labeling or where he stands you should make a threat about it and discuss that. You shouldn't just pop into any thread and start talking about that simply because Obe was brought up.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

On 5/15/2016 at 9:51 PM, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

This is a forum, where we can discuss without name calling. No need for the color commentary there either.

As for Hydroid, I do not like that passive either, but I'm still drawing a blank on a better alternative myself.

Remember, the drawback is key, and the idea has since evolved to scale with enemy level, and again only when standing still does it actually kick in, if necessary, I can clean that post up too.

So when standing still (and say only being able to say Revive), the value of armor would be around ~1163 against level 30 enemies, for example, and for that value, needing to have Steel Fiber, Armored Agility and standing on Hallowed Ground, which is still less total armor than Chroma, Valkyr and Atlas to name three that I am most familiar with, that can still dodge and move around with that level of Armor (plus Valkyr has Hysteria).

So the key aspect I'd like to keep at the forefront of his passive is a means to raise Oberon's effective Health under a very particular circumstance. My experience with Oberon has demonstrated to me that Armor rating is the best way to boost Oberon, since he can already gain a high health pool and has an ability to gain health and regen.

Therefore, instead of directly boosting his armor rating, I figured that using his passive to give him the armor he needs when most vulnerable would be the way to go.

The aspects of status and energy regen can easily be taken off, in order to at least raise Oberon's effective Health IMHO.

As for being a Paladin or not, I'm personally at the point where I'm fine with Oberon being a Druid with Fairy theming elements so that a proper aggro drawing Tank Paladin can be considered.

I actually really like the bonuses while stationary idea. But more to the point about hydroid; elec dmg shot into puddle increasing finisher dmg would be nice ;x

7 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

I actually really like the bonuses while stationary idea. But more to the point about hydroid; elec dmg shot into puddle increasing finisher dmg would be nice ;x

This thread,

has a rather neat idea for Hydroid that works with his existing kit.

On 5/18/2016 at 4:29 PM, The_Doc said:

Deinitely a future Corpus weapon.

What would it do?

Or is it the Corpus version of a beast handler? he captures the rats that infest the ships and puts bombs on them and teaches them to run straight at enemies?

8 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

What would it do?

Or is it the Corpus version of a beast handler? he captures the rats that infest the ships and puts bombs on them and teaches them to run straight at enemies?

The Ratron could simply shoot rats. Energy rats actually. Because Corpus.

Or a Ratron could be a small Corpus proxy or cyborg animal. Like an Osprey only more annoying. "Medusa head" type enemies. Just you wait until they implement Nullifier Ratrons. I'm starting to regret thinking of this.

runs Oberon in every corpus mission to turn the Ratrons on their masters

Edited by The_Doc

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 6:24 AM, (XB1)KickassNinja14 said:

yes lets give 500% armor increase for a passive because if one tentacle for hydroid is OP then giving Oberon 750 armor is not OP as all(that would be highest in game) and status immunity as a passive that is 100% chance is also great nothing totally gamebreaking and outshadowing every other passive in the game. You know what lemme also make this stack with his other abilities especially hallowed ground which would give him at least a 20% armor increase to his already insane armor value. you know what how can be a paladin if he can't provide energy to himself almost as good as energy siphon. Passives are supposed to be fun little boosts that warframe get not ridiculous poorly thought of ideas. Next time you want to say something think about it if you dont you'll just look stupid like now. And The last thing you said makes sense as according the the warframe standards Oberon is a paladin. It doesnt have to be like the WoW paladin or the diablo paladin its their game so their concept can be totally different

You mean like valkyr?

Except for the weaker, immobile armor buff oberon has and the straight god-mode valkyrs hysteria is.

What about chroma? Oberons potential armor with this blunt recommendation isn't even close to where chroma is...but holy hell. Would make overon completely o.p. to actually be able to eat damage, with his kit and auguments that are litteraly screaming to be used close.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

2 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

You mean like valkyr?

Except for the weaker, immobile armor buff oberon has and the straight god-mode valkyrs hysteria is.

What about chroma? Oberons potential armor with this blunt recommendation isn't even close to where chroma is...but holy hell. Would make overon completely o.p. to actually be able to eat damage, with his kit and auguments that are litteraly screaming to be used close.

Your comparing a free passive to abilities that cost energy here btw

55 minutes ago, OzoneSlayer said:

Your comparing a free passive to abilities that cost energy here btw

- a passive that equals the basestats of other frames, that offers >options for interactions< with powers which are nothing new for frames like valkyr and chroma but, as it seems, broken o.p. for oberon bc it would be a relatively big jump to his broken state.

He would get to where these frames are - without the frickin strong dps buffs. What's the big deal?

15 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

- a passive that equals the basestats of other frames, that offers >options for interactions< with powers which are nothing new for frames like valkyr and chroma but, as it seems, broken o.p. for oberon bc it would be a relatively big jump to his broken state.

He would get to where these frames are - without the frickin strong dps buffs. What's the big deal?

Its Basically vaubans passive on crack.