Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gamer Archetype - Philosophical discussion

EvilKam

A while back I posted a thread titled What kind of Gamer are you?  The results were that I ended up with a theory on game design based off of the answer to one question:

"What do gamers want from a video game"

If you want to read the document, I have it open for viewing here.  It results in 2 Triads, and then many other pieces.

My question is this:  What other types and motivations can we think of?  

I have the following summarized:

1. Athletes seek out challenging activities.  They are the diametric opposite of Conquerors.

2. Conquerors seek overwhelming power to make challenges obsolete.  They are the diametric opposite of Athletes.

3. Agnostics are much less concerned with challenges, and follow other goals.

4. Completionists want to get all the things.

5. Builders want to create worlds, cities, villages, armies, and shape their game.

6. Casuals are not invested enough to worry about end-game playability.  

7. Explorers want to find each little corner of the game.

8. Exterminator seeks to kill as many enemies as possible, and thus diametrically oppose Rushers.

9. Fashionistocrats is a horrible new word that I made up, describing people who focus upon super nifty outfits,

10. Mad Bombers seeks entertainment.  Victory or loss are somewhat important, but chaos, explosions, and lots of fun are the key things.

11. Matchmakers seek to harmonize.  Whether finding a perfect group of people or equipment.

12. Pragmatics evaluate enemies and prioritize them as worth killing/not worth killing.

13. Rushers see mission completion as the critical goal, so oppose Exterminators.

14. Socialites enjoy the camaraderie and friendship resultant from meeting people and interacting with them, or the amusement of trolling them.

15. Chroniclers want a story to be told with epic sweep. Whether in the form of background lore, or an inspiring campaign, a good tale is what provides inspiration.

So, what other motivations might apply to a gamer?

Edited by EvilKam
added Chronicler.

Exterminators drastically limits the types of games that are being thought about. I'd replace it with Completionists.

Agnosticts is too vague, and defeats the purpose of making such a list in the first place.

Lastly, you need a title for people who explicitly play for the purpose of experiencing a good story. I'd go with, I dunno, Watchers? Storiers? Readers? Something or other.

5..6..7..8.. sounds like dancing. I'm all 4 and maybe more from the list.

I'm a casual but the game ending and playability is very important and you can't say I'm not invested because I'll get plat or in-game currency. Explores all the corner of the game and exterminate all enemies and get all the loot and also focus on character customization.

Just now, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Fashinistocarats....wha? why not fashionframers?

Because I wanted the most horrible name I could possibly invent (within reason)

1 hour ago, Arcane_Intelligence said:

Completionists seek to complete the game 100%.

See, I knew I overlooked something obvious.

38 minutes ago, S.T.M.P.D said:

Exterminators drastically limits the types of games that are being thought about. I'd replace it with Completionists.

Agnosticts is too vague, and defeats the purpose of making such a list in the first place.

Lastly, you need a title for people who explicitly play for the purpose of experiencing a good story. I'd go with, I dunno, Watchers? Storiers? Readers? Something or other.

With Athletes and Conquerors being diametrically opposed, I need some way of saying "or neither of these extremes, but rather off to the side".  Agnostic simply refers to the third option of "not consumed with either A or C".  Since an "agnostic" is someone who claims to "neither follow, nor avoid" a belief system, it fits the necessary trichotomy.

2 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

"Watchers" ppsshhh...we are called Lorists! Nah, that sounds silly too

I WAS THINKING THAT!

I literally thought "Lorists, nah, that's too much like, a Dr. Seuss character name, I need something better."

GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLES!

Added Chronicler as an archetype, as I can't think of any other term relating to "someone who likes stories" without referring to them as overly passive... but then, this aspect of enjoyment is completely passive.  Does calling them "passives" or "Readers" sound too "weak"?