The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

~Sylk~The Thread Weaver

possibly a concept/concept(s) of this type already exist, i did not see in my search, so apologies if a similar idea exists 

Name: Sylk 

Gender model: Female 

Concept:  a warframe that utilizes its own health and energy to create thread/wires, the main idea is to be creative in placement and deployment of powers, this makes it limited only by users imagination  

Stats:( suggestions would be appreciated)

Spoiler
  • High health(not inaros high ...) , low shields 
  • low armor, high energy 

Powers:(names  & abilities (mechanics) are up for change) 

being reworked 

Life Threads: Sylk has the unique trait to weave threads made from her energy & health (powers will not cast if health is below a certain level)

• casting any power will drain both health and energy (efficiency)

1:  Weaver –a power that rewards the creativity of the tenno

Spoiler

Sylk places wires down in any length or angles, threads can be woven together or placed in a abstract design or tactical layout

• 1 thread Wire deals 500 slash and has 5 use charges and will dissipate after all charges are used
  • Threads have a 35% chance to drop energy orbs when they dissipate
  • contact applies a bleed proc and staggers enemies that make contact
  • When cast initially allows Sylk to place 10 thread wires down on the map
  • Threads can be placed in a variety of combinations /placement and allows for users creative thinking to aide in combat scenarios

Examples of use:

• Place wires over doors as a trap
  • Place multiple casts of weave to create web/wire barriers
  • Place over a defensive positions as a parameter or layer of protection
  •  Very effective/fun when combined with other abilities   

it really would be interesting to see what people could make ...artistic wise and tactical wise....

razer wire concepts in anime have so many variations and examples of how this could be employed (black butler season 2 example image) 

• bc4cdd81e40bf709e34193cc327b03d832e2c5b5

2: Cocoon Armor: 

Spoiler

Sylk weaves threads around her or her allies’ body to create a resilient armor of threads interwoven as protection against fatal damage

• Quick tap of power: Wraps self in threads that stack 3 times and consumes 1 stack per lethal damage that would have been taken
  • Aimed cast: weaves cocoon armor on ally

3: Thread weaving (4 options to cycle through) –can be placed onto other powers for ½ cost

Spoiler
  • A: Snare threads:
  • weaves threads into targeted surface, enemies that cross into AOE or are close to the outer edge , threads pull enemies to the surface threads are woven into, and binds them in place.(pulls up and hangs from ceiling , sticks to walls, or floors,ect)
  • enemies in snare are dealt slash DOT and guarantee a bleed proc on contact: threads slowly dissipate/dissolve and lose damage; enemies have a 65% chance to drop health orbs when slain. Enemies under snare gain 2x damage from melee attacks
  •  B:Constraining Threads:  weaves threads around the  muscles and joints of enemies, slowing their movements and reaction time: threads slow % rate dissipates over time until its cast time ends
  • C:Thread Web: Sylk weaves a net of threads and throws it | deals slash and bleed procs on contact
  • 1: if cast on doors it places a web wall enemies cant progress through
  • 2:if cast with no ceiling anchor points |  acts as sling shot  
  • 3: If cast and no wall or ceiling anchor points it acts like a net and traps enemies in side
  • D:Binding Threads :  shoots threads into an enemy target, enemy gains a puncture and bleed proc
  • threads then link into a number of close by enemies (based on power strength/range) to initial target preventing them from moving to far from target,
  • any damage taken by the target is spread equally to rest based on % of health target loses

how I envisioned the threads in snare working  from ceiling placement 

500px-Sprigganwrist2.jpg

4: Funnel Web:

Spoiler

funnels have  hp and protects from enemy projectiles  | this can be traversed like normal ground or objects when deployed 

Directional based power

A: If aimed in a straight line of site makes a funnel web of threads (tunnel)

B: if aimed vertically (up or down) it creates a wide web thread cylinder that protects from damage , but can be jumped into from above

C: if angled will cause a wide spread area funnel web of threads

idea is based from funnel spiders 

web-tunnel.jpg

Passive: Life shield  (indev)

• Picking up health orbs when health is full grants over shields-Caps at 2000
  • or
  • When health is lost due to a power cast shields gain shield or overshield by amount lost -caps at 2000

Design:

• Based on (silk worms, silk moths, golden silk spider)
  • Lineart 
Spoiler

sylk_warframe_concept__the_thread_weaver

Colored design details

sylk_colored_and_detailed__by_drkmako-dasylk_warframe_concept_back_view_by_drkma

Thank you:

• thanks for checking out the cocnept and any help or feedback , its greatly appreciated 

Old powers

Spoiler

Life threads: Sylk weaves threads made from its energy &  health  (will not cast if health is below a certain level) casting any power will drain both health and energy

1:  Weaver (4 power cycle method)

1. Ensnaring threads: weaves threads around enemies that trap them in place, enemies are dealt slash dmg over time and guarantee a bleed proc on contact: threads slowly dissipate/dissolve and lose DOT; enemies have a 65% chance to drop health orbs when slain. Enemies under snare gain 2x damage from melee attacks
  2.  Constraining Threads:  weaves threads around muscles and joints of enemies slowing their movements and reaction time: threads slow % rate dissipate over time and vanish when duration is over
  3. Sling shot Threads: creates a trip wire between two objects  that when enemies run into will stretch a bit, and then send them flying, Sylk can utilize it as well as her squad mates for launching themselves (entertaining and useful cc?)
  4. Binding Threads :  shoots threads into an enemy target, enemy gains a puncture and bleed proc, and threads then link into a number of close by enemies (based on power strength/range) to initial target preventing them from moving to far from target, damage taken by the target is spread equally to rest based on % of health target loses

2: Cocoon armor:

• Sylk weaves threads around her body to create a resilient armor of thread fibers interwoven as protection against fatal damage
  • Wraps self in threads that stack 3 times and consumes 1 stack per lethal damage that would have been taken
  • -augment: cast cocoon armor on allies 

3: Snare

• Place a web snare trap onto a targeted surface when activated it has a time limit until it dissipates (duration)
  • Can only cast a limited number of snares based on power strength

Targets:

• Ceiling: will hang down like a noose, and snag enemies that walk into them and act like a noose/garrote, causing bleed/slash procs
  • Floor: will bind enemies’ legs causing them to become trapped in place
  • Wall: enemies that walk by trigger the trap , target(s) wrapped in threads binding them from operating weapons (melee/firearms)

4: web weaver

• 1 Wire deals 500 slash and has 5 charges of damage to deal and will dissipate after all charges are used (contact applies a bleed proc and stagger enemies)
  • When cast allows Sylk to place 10 web threads down on the map
  • Threads can be placed in a variety of combinations /placement and allows for users creative thinking to aide in combat scenarios

Examples of use:

• Place wires over doors as a trap
  • Place multiple casts of weave to create web/wire barriers
  • Place over a defensive positions as a parameter or layer of protection
  •  Very effective/fun when combined with other abilities  

Passive: Life shield 

• Picking up health orbs when health is full grants over shields-Caps at 2000
  • or
  • When health is lost due to a power cast shields gain shield or overshield by amount lost -caps at 2000

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako
Update 5: powers V2 and art

55 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

i dont understand the post? 

It seems very likely they were just making a statement about their own agendas, perhaps looking for some kind of guidance. If you notice, they made their edit note say they like the concept.

Anyway, about your concept: at the risk of sounding like I oppose this just because it has some things in common with my own concept, Theraph the Arachnid Summoner, I do want to point out that I don't know why this Warframe would need to exist. Let me elaborate:

Every Warframe, with the only two exceptions being the two Chinese Warframes, fulfill a particular role. Their game mechanics are designed for the express purpose of fulfilling their roles; they are influenced slightly by their themes, but overall it's about what they're supposed to be doing. Using the theme to inspire potentially what its role is can also work, however it's usually harder to work backwards like that.

In the case of my Theraph Warframe, he falls under the role of 'Escalation Offense', which means he is rewarded with more power by playing aggressively with his abilities. The reward is that he gains a unique affinity-like resource that allows him to summon his minions, and his minions are permanent until they die or if Theraph decides to recycle them. As such, he has a cohesive idea and a role he fulfills that no other Warframe does.

I just don't get quite a cohesive idea of what your Warframe's role is. So far, I feel like her role might have some defensive application, meaning her powers benefit from enemies coming to her, but overall, it's a concept without restraint. It's a bunch of mechanics functioning entirely based off theme, and not so much off of its abstract application to the game's formula. However, this is how the majority of concepts go, which there is no shame in .

I do like the concept; it's not bad by any means, and my critique of it is entirely on the basis that I study game-design and desire to make a career of it, so of course I'm going to criticize how applicable it is to the game's formula. However, it is your concept; you do with it what you want. If you agree with my point and want help, I will give it. If you don't agree with my point or just don't have that much of an investment in this idea, then you do what you feel is right.

TL;DR - 

Her abilities seem based more on theme than role. Without a definitive and unique role to fulfill, I don't see the point of this Warframe existing, as all others with minimal exception do fulfill a role. Perhaps establish a cohesive role, and use it to determine her powers instead? As well, use the role only to design powers and power abilities that are integral to its design; don't just slap things on because of theme. This suggestion will help create a more cohesive design.

thanks for the feedback i really appreciate the indepth critique , i wish more would do it xD as getting my ideas into words can sometimes be a hassle > ~<  and this helps me figure out what i need to develop on 

im trying to make her a defensive frame in the long run, meaning she locks down areas with her threads  

but focus is to make her defensive skill adaptable to any situation as well as fun to those who are creative.

the theme should be thread based, like ember is fire. but im not sure if i should scrap some and try to develop other powers.

any suggetsions? 

If you want her to be a defense 'frame, I have to ask what kind of defense 'frame? For example, some other Defensive Warframes are Frost, who is a Melee Defense, Vauban, who is a Defense Caster, and Chroma, who is a Defense Tank. If you want elaboration, I'll provide the reasons why I label these Warframes as such.

As some suggestions, you say you want her to reward creativity, which suggests she be a General Defense, who has a bunch of general Defense abilities that are not necessarily geared towards one specified way of deal with oncoming enemies, but that other Warframes would probably have more specialized and efficient ways of dealing with attacking enemies, especially when making use of Co-Op with other players.

Once you establish the kind of Defense role she's intended to have, if a defense role at all, then I could tell you which of her powers I believe are excess and need to be stripped down or removed, and what kind of powers I would provide her.

1 hour ago, Krion112 said:

I-snip-

I want her to reward creative use of the powers and combine them to make well defended locations. but id use here mainly with melee as if you get to close , wham spider bite

she was designed based off spiders and silk worms/moths so i plan to incorporate webbing ideas and possibly a defensive cocoon power

basically my idea is one can take her solo or in squad and lock down a location, but if shes in a squad she mainly focuses on creating fortified zones 

threads that can combine into any sort of barrier or defensive location required, similar to how spiders can make web areas in all sorts of places, the complexity is based on species and how much time they sit and spin their webs 

Spoiler

Funnel_web_and_legs5-10.JPG

let me see if i can break down the idea in my head

powers 

1:

I was trying to make a variety/assortment of thread based trap powers that could be useful and easy to deploy 

idea was to : CC enemies , aide in damage , be fun  (sling shot..) 

This was to be more her life saving ability as she constantly drains her health which leaves her vulnerable due to her power/hp drain 

so i was thinking of a thread armor (wraps self in her uber life threads), ive contemplated calling it cocoon armor and make it so she can cast on herself or squad mates (augment?) 

the three stacks seemed to be a good number, not to high, not to low 

this is one im actually conflicted on, i thought of switch it for power ones set 1  and make a new power there.

or try to come up with another power mechanic

this was were the creativity part was to shine, making it so a sylk could literally design a web or funnel web , or web dome over an large area, and the webs themselves serving a defensive/offensive roll with high slash leaving it so the bigger enemies waddle in and get snared by traps opening them to attack