The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Verdant Refuge [Semi-Open roleplay, Revamped]

Rakawan

18 hours ago, Rakawan said:

Felicity's face breaks into a smile and Ryoko laughs.

"The sponsorship is not financial." Felicity says. "Although sponsors are required to provide the equipment for their charges to train with. Rather the sponsor is the one who volunteers their time to educate the new Tenno in all areas of Tenno culture. From how to hold a Skana to how to address an Elder Tenno. They devote their time to deciphering and relaying texts about proper etiquette and drumming out bad habits. The word sponsor is somewhat misleading, as I told Ryoko when he started this project. It is more of an apprenticeship."

She pauses.

"I should clarify what I said earlier." She says. "While they are counted as clan members, for purposes of comradrie, once a Initiate is declared a full fledged Tenno they are free to choose any clan to join. Were the WTC to sponsor a group of Tenno, the expectation is that they would take them on as full fledged members upon the completion of their apprenticeship, though that need not be official."

"Oh" Therese leaned slightly forward and facepalmed. Soon, she attempted to tweak the atmosphere with a help of a little bit of self-irony: "Belive it or not, but before the war, I was a junior financial analyst in one of the well-known investment banks. I had to fly around the damned place in a $lutty dress for the greater joy of male colleagues, who hadn't probably seen their ding-dilings behind own potbellies for years, to calculate NPV, IRR, DPB and other threateningly sounding indicators, to survive on packed peanuts with salt, and to suffer from severe sleep deprivation caused by pressing schedule and frequent nightmares, half of which had the word "sponsorship" in it" she snorted comically "If my old triggers managed to endure the full-scale interstellar conflict that resulted in a localized apocalypse, then I suppose that lobotomy is my last hope to get rid of these demons living in the deepest depths of my memory" She shrugged innocently.

"But now for more serious matters: our clan is composed of mercenaries, about whom we don't care all that much, and regulars, who are predominantly experienced veterans that share our mindset, goals, and competency. The merc division is used as the controllable pool of "natural selection": we look to each merc's case, determining if they are a proper material to join regulars; then we assign the "bookmarked" mercs to some of our regular groups and see if they survive the experience. Some fail to meet the standards while more simply don't endure the change of pace and responsibilities, but those who prevail join one of the toughest combatants cohorts in the Origin system. Yes - it is a cruel and not entirely fair approach to human resources, but it allowed us to form the core combat and special operations divisions of the highest available quality when we needed them. As a result, we don't have much experience raising soldiers from the near zero state because we don't interfere the merc division much and prefer to work with those operatives who already shown themselves instead. So the idea of mentoring greenhorns would probably become an institutional challenge for us" She leaned against the chair "But the recent dynamics in personnel compilation might be a call for changes in our policies. In any case, as I said earlier - it is up to our stakeholders to carry out structural changes"

Edited by Teloch

2 minutes ago, Denny2669 said:

"You... are a genius! I'd study and devour your brain if I didn't like you!" Alice said, uncloaking her Venka claws. She grinded them against each other in anticipation, her frames sharp finger nails acting as extra blades.

Sai'ah raises her hand, the limb dissolving into skittering, flying THINGS, and grins.

"I would be the sort of meal that bites back." She says. "As several of the larger predators on this continent have learned."

8 minutes ago, Rakawan said:

"Thank you." She says. She climbs up and then tugs the rope to let you know its fine.

*He smiles, he crouchs down and then leaps up, grabbing the window ledge, climbing in* "Hah, who needs ropes when you got augmented legs?" *he chuckles, quickly getting back into his bed, puts his arms behind his head, flexing his chest a bit, like nothing happened* "So, what we miss in here?" 

*He pauses* "Speaking of, what or where is this 'Marcus' grill' "

22 hours ago, Teloch said:

"Oh" Therese leaned slightly forward and facepalmed. Soon, she attempted to tweak the atmosphere with a help of a little bit of self-irony: "Belive it or not, but before the war, I was a junior financial analyst in one of the well-known investment banks. I had to fly around the damned place in a $lutty dress for the greater joy of male colleagues, who hadn't probably seen their ding-dilings behind own potbellies for years, to calculate NPV, IRR, DPB and other threateningly sounding indicators, to survive on packed peanuts with salt, and to suffer from severe sleep deprivation caused by pressing schedule and frequent nightmares, half of which had the word "sponsorship" in it" she snorted comically "If my old triggers managed to endure the full-scale interstellar conflict that resulted in a localized apocalypse, then I suppose that lobotomy is my last hope to get rid of these demons living in the deepest depths of my memory" She shrugged innocently.

"But now for more serious matters: our clan is composed of mercenaries, about whom we don't care all that much, and regulars, who are predominantly experienced veterans that share our mindset, goals, and competency. The merc division is used as the controllable pool of "natural selection": we look to each merc's case, determining if they are a proper material to join regulars; then we assign the "bookmarked" mercs to some of our regular groups and see if they survive the experience. Some fail to meet the standards while more simply don't endure the change of pace and responsibilities, but those who prevail join one of the toughest combatants cohorts in the Origin system. Yes - it is a cruel and not entirely fair approach to human resources, but it allowed us to form the core combat and special operations divisions of the highest available quality when we needed them. As a result, we don't have much experience raising soldiers from the near zero state because we don't interfere the merc division much and prefer to work with those operatives who already shown themselves instead. So the idea of mentoring greenhorns would probably become an institutional challenge for us" She leaned against the chair "But the recent dynamics in personnel compilation might be a call for changes in our policies. In any case, as I said earlier - it is up to our stakeholders to carry out structural changes"

"It is not something we are looking to outsource at this time." Ryoko says. "There are several reasons this has been kept an internal affair."

"That is where you differ from us." Felicity says. "Our focus has ever been empowering people from scratch. While that requires more effort, and a degree of recklessness, the results have been impressive. Our goal is to give humanity a fighting chance. Not the best and brightest, but all of it."

6 minutes ago, Rakawan said:

"It is not something we are looking to outsource at this time." Ryoko says. "There are several reasons this has been kept an internal affair."

"That is where you differ from us." Felicity says. "Our focus has ever been empowering people from scratch. While that requires more effort, and a degree of recklessness, the results have been impressive. Our goal is to give humanity a fighting chance. Not the best and brightest, but all of it."

"You tend to jump to conclusions rather quickly, dear Felicity. Even though some of us have built their outlooks based on the ancient evolutionary dogmas that state "survival of the fittest" as an absolute, most of our organization steps and policies were implemented due to sheer logic and the necessity to counter absolutely banal circumstances that are beyond everyone's reach. We do not seek to give a chance for survival to the fittest tenno only, and even not to tenno species exclusively. Should you know our other allies, they would probably surprise you by giving their feedbacks on our goals"

1 hour ago, Teloch said:

"You tend to jump to conclusions rather quickly, dear Felicity. Even though some of us have built their outlooks based on the ancient evolutionary dogmas that state "survival of the fittest" as an absolute, most of our organization steps and policies were implemented due to sheer logic and the necessity to counter absolutely banal circumstances that are beyond everyone's reach. We do not seek to give a chance for survival to the fittest tenno only, and even not to tenno species exclusively. Should you know our other allies, they would probably surprise you by giving their feedbacks on our goals"

"Call it Old Orokin pride." Felicity says. "But enough about us. Tell us about your goals."

Ryoko leans in.

"I must admit some curiosity as to that as well." He says. "What exactly are your goals for this world. As your leader said, colonization isn't exactly one of your projects."

11 minutes ago, Rakawan said:

Sai'ah shrugs.

"Maybe I doubted you." She says. "Maybe I though if I provoked you you would actually try it."

"Oh, clever girl~" Alice said "But do you really think I need a justified reason to sink my teeth into its air pipe? Please, that would be for sane people."

She flashed an almost innocent smile, coupled with a giggle.

13 hours ago, Rakawan said:

"Call it Old Orokin pride." Felicity says. "But enough about us. Tell us about your goals."

Ryoko leans in.

"I must admit some curiosity as to that as well." He says. "What exactly are your goals for this world. As your leader said, colonization isn't exactly one of your projects."

"And again you jump to hasty conclusions: he said that we aren't colonists, not that we have nothing to do with colonization projects. As it has been mentioned already, the majority of us are soldiers who once swore to protect the empire and its people; the empire is no more, but the humanity is still out there. Our task is as simple as a brick: to ensure humankind survival. We run projects called to separate humanity from possible sources of threat in one way or another, to ensure that the overall development level doesn't deteriorate further, and to seek for new prospects that may mend the collapse era aftermath. Since we are combatants, we do our dirty and bloody job while our allies back up the functions in which we have little or no proficiency. Labour division in it's finest. Now, I hope that colonel's words about "our interest in frontier movement success" make more sense to you?"

Edited by Teloch

After days upon days of hermit hood within the tent, Hund finally emerged from it's confines. Encrusted with dirt and sand and visibly tired, the Chroma and Operator observed the area outside with interest. 

"I hope they don't mind the accidental. . . uh. . . property damage."

The Operator muttered as it held the drone up in the sunlight.

"A shame she wore her batteries out extensively from all those conversations we had, although I can't say I miss her endless complaints about being "snubbed".

The Chroma runs a thumb along the contours of the tiny device in it's grasp.

"Regardless, I think it's time for me to report back on the interesting find I've stumbled across."

With that, the Chroma walked out of the tent and into what remained of the camp.

On 9/10/2016 at 9:16 PM, -Platinum- said:

*He smiles, he crouchs down and then leaps up, grabbing the window ledge, climbing in* "Hah, who needs ropes when you got augmented legs?" *he chuckles, quickly getting back into his bed, puts his arms behind his head, flexing his chest a bit, like nothing happened* "So, what we miss in here?" 

*He pauses* "Speaking of, what or where is this 'Marcus' grill' "

*Relaxes back* "You kown, part of me wants to go back in the field, to assist Matrixm but *sighs*  I don't think it be a good idea huh?"   

18 hours ago, Teloch said:

"And again you jump to hasty conclusions: he said that we aren't colonists, not that we have nothing to do with colonization projects. As it has been mentioned already, the majority of us are soldiers who once swore to protect the empire and its people; the empire is no more, but the humanity is still out there. Our task is as simple as a brick: to ensure humankind survival. We run projects called to separate humanity from possible sources of threat in one way or another, to ensure that the overall development level doesn't deteriorate further, and to seek for new prospects that may mend the collapse era aftermath. Since we are combatants, we do our dirty and bloody job while our allies back up the functions in which we have little or no proficiency. Labour division in it's finest. Now, I hope that colonel's words about "our interest in frontier movement success" make more sense to you?"

"I never assumed you had nothing to do with it." Ryoko says wuth a smile. "Only that is wasn't exactly one of your projects."

"If you had no interest in colonies we wouldn't be here." Felicity says, her polite smile never wavering. "Now tell me, what do you think of the efforts to replenish the Tenno race?"

14 hours ago, Unus said:

After days upon days of hermit hood within the tent, Hund finally emerged from it's confines. Encrusted with dirt and sand and visibly tired, the Chroma and Operator observed the area outside with interest. 

"I hope they don't mind the accidental. . . uh. . . property damage."

The Operator muttered as it held the drone up in the sunlight.

"A shame she wore her batteries out extensively from all those conversations we had, although I can't say I miss her endless complaints about being "snubbed".

The Chroma runs a thumb along the contours of the tiny device in it's grasp.

"Regardless, I think it's time for me to report back on the interesting find I've stumbled across."

With that, the Chroma walked out of the tent and into what remained of the camp.

There is a Feyarch Oberon standing in the middle of the camp giving orders.

4 hours ago, -Platinum- said:

*Relaxes back* "You kown, part of me wants to go back in the field, to assist Matrixm but *sighs*  I don't think it be a good idea huh?"   

"I think we should pay him a visit once we are cleared." Sam says. "I've never been one to just sit around and wait."

1 hour ago, kyrozon said:

"I am suprised that a group as large as you have here on Synergy took so long to pick up on Sentient presence."

He shrugged.  "You have to remember that Tenno are less than 5% of the population here, and we weren't looking for the signatures of a completely dormant Sentient Lord.  We were a little busy stopping the Grineer from running us over from the Earth portal.  Couple that with the fact that we can't stay here all the time because of the things going on in the Origin System, and you've got your answer."  He flexed his shoulders and was once again clad in a Zephyr.  "Okay, I'm bored.  Grab on, kids.  We're going for a ride."  He bent his knees slightly, clearly preparing to take off.

19 minutes ago, Rakawan said:

There is a Feyarch Oberon standing in the middle of the camp giving orders.

After a few moments of fiddling with the drone, the Operator finally places it in it's pack while the Chroma walks in the direction of the Oberon, stopping a few feet away with arms crossed behind it's back in a waiting stance. 

"Uh, sir, scuse me, but uh, I've run into a rather fascinating snag."

The Operator says in a military tone.

1 hour ago, Rakawan said:

"I think we should pay him a visit once we are cleared." Sam says. "I've never been one to just sit around and wait."

"Yeah, wait, you want to go back in the field?" *He looks to her* "Tho, lets get this Grill thing sorted first, before we're back in the fight"

2 hours ago, Rakawan said:

"I never assumed you had nothing to do with it." Ryoko says wuth a smile. "Only that is wasn't exactly one of your projects."

"If you had no interest in colonies we wouldn't be here." Felicity says, her polite smile never wavering. "Now tell me, what do you think of the efforts to replenish the Tenno race?"

"If you wish to know my personal opinion, then I probably should mention my affiliate with the hexis doctrine and so the personal interest in our advancement as a species, which follows from the first statement. If you wish to know our views on this matter as an organization, then I suppose they are not different. And not only because we have many hexis sympathizers and followers"

1 hour ago, Unus said:

After a few moments of fiddling with the drone, the Operator finally places it in it's pack while the Chroma walks in the direction of the Oberon, stopping a few feet away with arms crossed behind it's back in a waiting stance. 

"Uh, sir, scuse me, but uh, I've run into a rather fascinating snag."

The Operator says in a military tone.

"Away Master Hund." Jas says. You recognize him from earlier. "How may I help you?"

23 minutes ago, -Platinum- said:

"Yeah, wait, you want to go back in the field?" *He looks to her* "Tho, lets get this Grill thing sorted first, before we're back in the fight"

"It's great." She says. "Of course I can't tell you where it is. He changes market stalls every day. Part of the fun is finding where he's set up shop. Just don't order the seafood surprise. And if he serves it give him a compliment and ask for something else."