Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What M:tG colors do the Warframes fall into?

Obsydyn

In Magic: the Gathering, cards are split into 5 colors (technically 6, colorless isn't really a color). Each color has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some cards are multicolored, fusing philosophy and mechanics of two or more colors.

White

White puts value in the group, the community, and its civilization as a whole. White's ultimate goal is peace, harmony, and perfection — a world where everyone gets along and no one seeks to disturb the bonds of unity that White had worked so long to forge. To govern and protect its community, White makes use of and puts value in a number of broad concepts; morality (ethics, grace, truth), order (law, discipline, duty), uniformity (conformity, religion), and structure (government, planning, reason). White is a color commonly associated with good and justice, but if left unchecked, white can become authoritarian, inflexible, and capable of sacrificing a small group for the sake of a larger one. Everything necessary to preserve the laws, rules, and governance that white created.

Blue

Blue is the color that looks on the world and sees opportunity. For Blue, life is a chance to contemplate oneself, and what is possible, and to bring about the best of both. Implicitly, in that general world view, Blue believes in tabula rasa: it sees in each thing, the potential for being anything. One need only understand how, to make the change. So with this ill-formed goal before it, Blue reasons that if it is to make itself better, it must become capable of everything it could be capable of, for that is to "merely add" to its own capabilities. Blue believes it can't possibly be bad to acquire the potential for any conscious action. Thus, Blue, believing it is capable of changing anything if it understands the change, and believing it is imperative that it acquire every capability it could have, concludes that it is imperative that it understand change. Moreover, Blue decides that it must understand everything; for truly, understanding can only improve one's effectiveness in any task. To gain understanding, Blue must acquire knowledge. Since knowledge itself will inform every other decision, Blue forms its principle goal: omniscience, the knowledge of all.

Black

Black is the color of self-indulgence, parasitism, amorality and unfettered desire for power. It believes that the world is made for its taking and that the weak exist to be exploited by the strong. The essence of Black is to see one's own ego[1] as so supremely invaluable, that the prospect of enslavement, of subordinating that ego to another, is utterly inadmissible. So, to be in accord with its perceptions and beliefs, Black simply must discard all obligations but to acquire power for itself. It can be no less than the one supreme being who is subordinate to no other, the possessor of all power in the universe - it must become omnipotent. This does not mean that black is evil, is more like a pessimist or even a realist. Black sees the world as a place of struggle and pain, and if black wants to survive in such a place, it needs power. Maybe is not the best world, maybe is not a happy choice and some people will suffer, but black didn't make the rules and is determined to accept the truth and get what it wants by any means necessary.

Red

Above all else, red values freedom of expression. It wants to do what it wants, when it wants, to whom it wants, and nobody can tell it otherwise. Red loves life much more than any other color and so it believes that all people must live to its fullest. Red believes that life would be much more fun if everyone stopped caring about rules, laws, and personal appearances and just spent their time indulging their desires. This leads into red's other core value: chaos. Red sees order of any kind as pointlessly inhibiting, believing that only through embracing anarchy could everyone really be free to enjoy life to the fullest. Finally, Red is the color of immediate action and immediate gratification. If it wants something, it will act on its impulses and take it, regardless of the consequences.

Green

Green is the color of nature, growth, interdependence, and instinct. It believes that obeying the natural order alone is the best way to exist and thus favors a simplistic way of living in harmony with the rest of the world. Green accepts the world as it is and tries to coexist with it instead of trying to change it, regulate it, norm it, or take advantage of it. This can often lead to it being perceived as a pacifistic color, as it does not seek to make conflict with the other colors as long as they leave it alone and do not disrespect nature. However, it is fierce when it feels threatened and can be predatory and aggressive if its instincts dictate.

-MTG Salvation wiki (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Color_Pie)

In addition, each color combination has its own name and guild associated with it. You can read about those on the wiki listed above.

A few examples:

• Oberon is green/white. His capability to clear allies of status effects is not too different from Hexproof (that card can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control) in magic. He's part paladin in white, and part druid in green. His abilities Smite and Reckoning sound like they could actually be white cards.
  • Frost is white/blue. The focus on protection not just for himself but his allies is a very white concept. On the other hand, freezing enemies and slowing the opposition is power that blue possesses. To me, frost plays like a control deck. White/blue is a very oppressive color combo, usually locking your opponents out of play or slowing them down immensely.
  • Loki is blue/black. Blue/black together form a very secretive color pair. The emphasis on stealth and deception leads me to believe Loki falls into these two colors. His ability to disarm, elude, and confuse enemies is very similar to those of blue/black creatures in Magic: the Gathering.
  • Volt is blue/red. His abilities revolve around lightning and electricity, something common in the theme of blue/red themed cards. Volt is able to switch from offense to defense quickly, just like some creatures in the blue/red guild of Izzet by exchanging their power and toughness.
  • Nekros is mono-black. Raising the dead is something black does better than any other color. You can't have a zombie army without black.
  • Ember is mono-red. Besides the obvious fire theme, her abilities favor brute force damage over anything else. She can dish out amazing amounts of damage by herself.
Edited by sheepdog1043

I'd argue Nezha and Wukong are both Red. A playful fire god and the monkey king, not letting their enemies tell them how dead they're supposed to be (Wukong literally Defies the fact that he should be dead), Wukong's ability to vanish and noclip while Nezha can teleport

I would say Ember is Red/Black. Yes, she does damage. But at higher levels of play her kit is all about having control over her enemies by taking away their ability to fight back. If her powers don't kill, they all preform some degree of crowd control through stuns, knockdowns, and/or zoning by punishing enemies that enter certain fields.

And after all, death is just another shade of crowd control.

A more permanent one.

You have mono-blue Hydroid, of course! White-blue Trinity. Red-blue Rhino. Nyx, the Minx is blue-black. Zephyr is a toughie. mono-blue I suppose. Mesa is red-blue. Seems I see everything in blue. Nezha is red/white. Ash is red-black. Excalibur is... eh, red with hints of blue. Ivara is mono-green.

Damn you, you made me want to play M:tG again, after I abandoned it... well, years ago when 7th edition was still a new thing. Black-blue-red deck, mmmm.

Nezha: White/Red & Wukong: Black/Red/Blue

Frost: Blue

Trinity: White/Blue

Valkyr: Red/Green

Inaros: White/Black

Ivara: Red/Blue/Green

Hydroid: Blue/Green

Limbo: Colorles or White/Black

Atlas: Red/white

Saryn: Black/Green

Vauban: Blue/Red/Artifacts

Equinox: Black/White 

Chroma: Red/Blue/Green/White 

Nyx: Blue

Excalibur: White

Mirage: Red

Rhino: White

Zephyr: White/Blue

Banshee & Mag: Black

Mesa: White

Ash: Black

Edited by trace_phage
forgot Ash :/

14 hours ago, IANOBW said:

I agree with most of this, but I'd say Mesa was more Red/Blue mostly because of the damage she can dish out as well as the mild control and protection she has.

True, messed up on that one >_< I was thinking of enchantments and boardwipes ... maybe Red/White/Blue?  which's how I colored mine :D