Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lol Bethesda (E3 conference)

TheErebus.

Let's see, in the conference they announced quite a few things:
Overwat-I mean Quake: Champions. An arena shooter where you control characters with varying abilities.

Paid Mo- I MEAN DLC for Fallout 4 (barring the last one they showed off):
Build your own Vault and conveyor belts!
(Literally these are all mods, just download the mods and don't give Bethesda any money for this)

Doom DLC 1 (3 maps and 3 gamemodes) 

SKYRIM REMASTER!!!
Oh boy I can't wait to play Skyrim with an ENB on my PS4 even though I have it on my PC with tons of mods that it make look better than vanilla Fallout 4. Let's just ignore the fact that instead of working on a new game (or remastering a game that deserves it) they decided to remaster a 5 year old game that still holds up today.

Dishonored 2:
Ok I'll give 'em this, Dishonored 2 looks good. This was the only game they showed actual gameplay for.

Prey:
I really want Prey to be good. They seem to have ditched the bounty hunter aspect of the original Prey but I do have high hopes for this.

So yeah. To me, E3 isn't turning out pretty good so far. Andromeda, Titanfall 2, Prey and Dishonored 2 is all that looks slightly interesting to me.

For the Skyrim remaster, they didn't have to do a whole lot to "remaster" it for Xbone and PS4. They probably did just download some shader mods and put it onto a new disk for the consoles. It was just easy money for them, and not resource consuming.

Also, they flubbed their words a lot in this conference. "Global breasts" comes to mind. At least it wasn't the snorefest that the EA conference was. Hoping Sony is better, because Persona 5.

6 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

SKYRIM REMASTER!!!

Oh boy I can't wait to play Skyrim with an ENB on my PS4 even though I have it on my PC with tons of mods that it make look better than vanilla Fallout 4. Let's just ignore the fact that instead of working on a new game (or remastering a game that deserves it) they decided to remaster a 5 year old game that still holds up today.

Think one of the key things here will whether it'd work like normal Skyrim with mods, or whether it'd fudge up compatibility.

3 hours ago, Slaviar said:

Remaster, or how to profit twice from one game

This is really aimed at the console market. On the PC-side, no one will care much.

I have a few friends that are pretty much console only (don't ask; I don't understand it either) and they'll probably be on this like white on rice. Throw in the XB1 modding, and, yeah, they'll be waving money at Todd and co. and salivating until release.

I've been considering installing Skyrim on my new box and doing another playthrough with at least 100 mods, but...an XB1 version does kind of tempt me. The draw of the couch can never be discounted.

If a remastered XB1 version of the Mass Effect trilogy were offered I'd be on it yesterday for one last definitive playthrough (without the PC save hassles) before Andromeda. It won't happen, but just sayin'.

2 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

This is really aimed at the console market. On the PC-side, no one will care much.

I have a few friends that are pretty much console only (don't ask; I don't understand it either) and they'll probably be on this like white on rice. Throw in the XB1 modding, and, yeah, they'll be waving money at Todd and co. and salivating until release.

I've been considering installing Skyrim on my new box and doing another playthrough with at least 100 mods, but...an XB1 version does kind of tempt me. The draw of the couch can never be discounted.

If a remastered XB1 version of the Mass Effect trilogy were offered I'd be on it yesterday for one last definitive playthrough (without the PC save hassles) before Andromeda. It won't happen, but just sayin'.

Of course it's aimed at consoles. Can you imagine anyone paying for PC remaster when we have stuff like this?

I simply consider practice of remasters to be cashgrab. I understand new versions of 10 years old games. But they do remasters of games which are barely few years old because Sony is too greedy to make backwards compatibilty (I refuse to believe they can't- if MS could do this, they can too).

Also, what do you mean, ME save hassle?

Hey, if it means ES6 or FO5 is that much better from the increased cashflow (and there is a rumor of a new engine...finally), then they can reissue whatever they want, including that white elephant Daggerfall.

I'm perfectly capable of making my own financial calls when it comes to game permutations.

The ME save system wasn't what you'd call trouble free, especially when transitioning between Steam and Origin. Also, the original DLC from the PC side of things was...mostly non-functional when it came to save transfers. The console (well, the 360 at least) didn't suffer from this.

6 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

Hey, if it means ES6 or FO5 is that much better from the increased cashflow (and there is a rumor of a new engine...finally), then they can reissue whatever they want, including that white elephant Daggerfall.

I'm perfectly capable of making my own financial calls when it comes to game permutations.

The ME save system wasn't what you'd call trouble free, especially when transitioning between Steam and Origin. Also, the original DLC from the PC side of things was...mostly non-functional when it came to save transfers. The console (well, the 360 at least) didn't suffer from this.

Ah, I remember now. Well, at least there's save editor.

I wouldn't get overenthusiastic about new engine. Knowing Bethesda improvements will be small. A bit better graphics, slightly less wooden animations. Nothing impressive.
To be honest the only thing that would get me interested in Fallout/Elder Scrolls would be partnership with Obsidian. Fallout: New Vegas was great, had everything I could hope for- plot, choices, nice characters, hell, even world was decent, though I'm not fan of open worlds. True, it was buggy, but I don't recall it being worse than Skyrim

The thing about Obsidian is they are what is left of Black Isle and haven't had anything to do with Fallout since Interplay tanked. FO:NV was basically a revision of what BI was working on when it all came crashing down. The original FO3, code named Van Buren, was largely what became FO: NV. The main difference was no Denver Dome. Once this material was used, Obsidian doesn't have any FO related material left from the good ol' days.

There have been persistent rumors of another West Coast Fallout game from Obsidian, but what it might actually be is hard to say. The sky is largely the limit in a FO story. Maybe SLC and the tribals in that area and remnants of the Legion. There's not much to extrapolate with.

Now that Bethesda owns id, I would hope some adaptation of the Tech6 engine might find its way into Bethesda-style open world RPGs. I'm not sure how practical that engine is for a game with the scale of a typical Elder Scrolls game, but anything is better than the ancient and creaky Gamebryo-based antique they've been using.