Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn prime usage

Wolfwaffe

Question

So from what i understand, to use her efficiently you need either range and duration, or range and power. But there are some things i still don't fully unerstand:

1. SporeMolt - what's better, to use molt at the center of the map and pop spores yourself, or let enemies pop spores or pop the molt itself?

2. Toxic spores (aka popping spores on enemy under toxic proc) - does it also inflict toxic proc along with viral or just adds toxic damage with/without some static proc chance?

3. WELCOME TO BOATMURDERED, ENJOY YOUR MIASMA, can it proc corrosion? And is it me or you can't tell the range by visual? Also, related to above, does it pop spores, like it pops molt?

4. Spores popping, does it spreads 2/2/3/3 per enemy max or it can go all the way to the max number of spores on the model (i.e. I pop 3 or 4 spores around humanoid enemy, will it omly get 2-3 spores growing on him or it will go up to 8 or 10, not sure how many can be attached to humanoid enemy)?

11 answers to this question

From the wiki:

If an infected enemy is being damaged by a Toxin b Toxin proc, popping a spore on that enemy will also spread Toxin bToxin damage to surrounding enemies. The spore will have 25% of the initial base damage that triggered the Toxin bToxin proc added to its burst damage as Viral b Viral damage with a 100% status chance for Viral b Viral and Toxin b Toxineffects.

Sounds complicated, but simple in practice. Status effects are procced prior to damage, even if the enemy dies. Spores spread from a dead enemy post-mortem. So if a killing shot inflicts toxin, the resulting spores will have increased damage and carry both toxin and viral procs to all affected enemies.

Bring a weapon with high status chance that can inflict high-damage single-shot toxin procs to get the most out of your spores. Crits and headshots will further boost the transferred damage, so a bow will work great. Toxin spec Sancti Tigris with Nano-Applicator is an absolute demon on Saryn Prime.

I don't know the maximum number of spores an enemy can be affected by at once, but it's more than 3.

And yes, Miasma has a 100% chance to proc corrosive.

Placing spores on Molt is a good way to exit a situation to either grab orbs or give yourself breathing room. (Always bring Regenerative Molt. It's amazing and gives her fantastic solo potential.) But for damage, your approach should be to place spores on enemies and then pop them or kill the enemy. Think of Molt like Loki's decoy, but also a nuke. Use it to draw enemy attention toward a certain point prior to an encounter, or to draw attention away from yourself when enemies focus fire on you. In the absence of a status weapon, Molt inflicts toxin procs on affected targets when it explodes. If you explode Molt using Miasma, the damage and toxin procs from Molt will occur before Miasma's first instance of damage.

So like I said before, although her kit sounds complicated, in practice it is very intuitive. It's pretty much exactly how you'd want it to work.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir

What if i don't have nano-applicator? I missed acolytes event for the most part.

Thanks for clarification on the miasma-molt combo. So if i understand it correct, when i blow miasma near spored molt, it goes like this

1. Molt explodes, deaoing toxic proc 2. Spores explode, spreading viral proc 3. Miasma first damage tick goes, resulting in 200% (x3) damage increase.

19 hours ago, Wolfwaffe said:

What if i don't have nano-applicator? I missed acolytes event for the most part.

Thanks for clarification on the miasma-molt combo. So if i understand it correct, when i blow miasma near spored molt, it goes like this

1. Molt explodes, deaoing toxic proc 2. Spores explode, spreading viral proc 3. Miasma first damage tick goes, resulting in 200% (x3) damage increase.

Exactly right, on the Molt>Spore>Miasma combo. However, I would recommend sporing a living target instead. That way the spores spread from that target when it dies will deal more damage. Not by a lot, but it adds up, and can easily nuke every light target in the room.

If you don't have Nano-Applicator, I would recommend Mutalist Cernos. It's on par with normal Cernos in damage output, but can easily reach 100% status chance, and has the cool ability to kill nullifiers through their shields if they're moving toward you. Spec it for either blast+toxin (hilarious single-target lockdown effect) or gas. Gas will deal less damage, resulting in weaker spores, but it virtually guarantees you'll get the right proc. (The game basically checks to see if you proc status, and if yes, then it rolls between your damage types to see which proc to apply, favoring highest damage.) This isn't as much an issue with Mutalist Cernos as with other weapons, since the cloud inherits the arrow's status chance/sec.

But do experiment. There are many good status weapons. If you can create a crit/toxin hybrid, that would work wonders, since crit and headshots boost status DoTs.

Edit: Correction, Molt's damage actually applies prior to the spores popping. They always pop on a target post-mortem, including Molt.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir

4 hours ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

Exactly right, on the Molt>Spore>Miasma combo. However, I would recommend sporing a living target instead. That way the spores spread from that target when it dies will deal more damage. Not by a lot, but it adds up, and can easily nuke every light target in the room.

If you don't have Nano-Applicator, I would recommend Mutalist Cernos. It's on par with normal Cernos in damage output, but can easily reach 100% status chance, and has the cool ability to kill nullifiers through their shields if they're moving toward you. Spec it for either blast+toxin (hilarious single-target lockdown effect) or gas. Gas will deal less damage, resulting in weaker spores, but it virtually guarantees you'll get the right proc. (The game basically checks to see if you proc status, and if yes, then it rolls between your damage types to see which proc to apply, favoring highest damage.) This isn't as much an issue with Mutalist Cernos as with other weapons, since the cloud inherits the arrow's status chance/sec.

But do experiment. There are many good status weapons. If you can create a crit/toxin hybrid, that would work wonders, since crit and headshots boost status DoTs.

Edit: Correction, Molt's damage actually applies prior to the spores popping. They always pop on a target post-mortem, including Molt.

Thanks. One final question, do postmortem spores spread in lower radius than popped by hit?

Also, for number of spores per unit it seems to go like this from what i tested:

Orokin drone - 1

Mutalisk Ospreys, Ospreys, Drones - one per wing and body, total of 3

Infested Crawlers, Corpus MOAs, Mutalisk MOAs - 2 per limb, one on body, one on head, total max of 6

Humanoids (including ancients, Infested Runners and it seems teh same for for Infested Chargers) - 2 per limb, 2 on body, one on head, making a total of 11

Popping spore don't seem to add more than spore spread number on enemy, but maybe i'm just kiling things too fast to notice.

5 hours ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

This is very helpful.  My plan is to have Saryn Prime equipped with Mutalist Cernos, Hikou Prime (Concealed Explosives), and Lesion.  Already got the weapons.  Just need to play, practice, and test it.  I'm imagining that it will be heaven for her if I get it right.  :D  

Edited by DatDarkOne
clarification

22 minutes ago, Wolfwaffe said:

Popping spore don't seem to add more than spore spread number on enemy, but maybe i'm just kiling things too fast to notice.

This is correct. Only a single spore will spread if the enemy is killed. To spread more, you have to shoot the spore itself (it blocks the projectile, unless you have punch through).

It is possible to inflict a toxin proc, and then pop each spore individually with pinpoint aim to get the most damage possible from every spore. But a light breeze can kill mid-level enemies, and high-level armor scaling makes spores impotent (aside from viral procs, which only become more valuable at high-level).

So, the best practical application is to just focus on keeping spores spreading. The toxin-buffed damage from a single spore will kill light targets up to around lv30.

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is very helpful.  My plan is to have Saryn Prime equipped with Mutalist Cernos, Hikou Prime (Concealed Explosives), and Lesion.  Already got the weapons.  Just need to play, practice, and test it.  I'm imagining that it will be heaven for her if I get it right.  :D  

Excersize caution with Hikou P. It seems to outright murder everything each time it procs explosion from CE, including the user - the range and damage of CE is downright RIDICULOUS, and combined with its firerate, you may get badly surprised when something pops in front of you. Also, it can easily de-spore entire crowds and make you sad. At least it makes me sad, because if there's no spores to pop, you can't spore the entire map by being tactical.

1 hour ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

This is correct. Only a single spore will spread if the enemy is killed. To spread more, you have to shoot the spore itself (it blocks the projectile, unless you have punch through).

It is possible to inflict a toxin proc, and then pop each spore individually with pinpoint aim to get the most damage possible from every spore. But a light breeze can kill mid-level enemies, and high-level armor scaling makes spores impotent (aside from viral procs, which only become more valuable at high-level).

So, the best practical application is to just focus on keeping spores spreading. The toxin-buffed damage from a single spore will kill light targets up to around lv30.

No, i mean if it says "spores spread 2" it won't spread more than 2 spores per enemy. I.e. it won't make it 4 spores if there already were 2 spores active on enemy in the range. Or maybe it's just me killing things too fast.

5 minutes ago, Wolfwaffe said:

Excersize caution with Hikou P. It seems to outright murder everything each time it procs explosion from CE, including the user - the range and damage of CE is downright RIDICULOUS, and combined with its firerate, you may get badly surprised when something pops in front of you.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with the effects of CE on Hikou P.  It only takes blowing yourself up a couple of times to truly respect that combination.  :D

On 16.6.2016 at 7:05 AM, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

From the wiki:

If an infected enemy is being damaged by a Toxin b Toxin proc, popping a spore on that enemy will also spread Toxin bToxin damage to surrounding enemies. The spore will have 25% of the initial base damage that triggered the Toxin bToxin proc added to its burst damage as Viral b Viral damage with a 100% status chance for Viral b Viral and Toxin b Toxineffects.

Sounds complicated, but simple in practice. Status effects are procced prior to damage, even if the enemy dies. Spores spread from a dead enemy post-mortem. So if a killing shot inflicts toxin, the resulting spores will have increased damage and carry both toxin and viral procs to all affected enemies.

Bring a weapon with high status chance that can inflict high-damage single-shot toxin procs to get the most out of your spores. Crits and headshots will further boost the transferred damage, so a bow will work great. Toxin spec Sancti Tigris with Nano-Applicator is an absolute demon on Saryn Prime.

I don't know the maximum number of spores an enemy can be affected by at once, but it's more than 3.

And yes, Miasma has a 100% chance to proc corrosive.

Placing spores on Molt is a good way to exit a situation to either grab orbs or give yourself breathing room. (Always bring Regenerative Molt. It's amazing and gives her fantastic solo potential.) But for damage, your approach should be to place spores on enemies and then pop them or kill the enemy. Think of Molt like Loki's decoy, but also a nuke. Use it to draw enemy attention toward a certain point prior to an encounter, or to draw attention away from yourself when enemies focus fire on you. In the absence of a status weapon, Molt inflicts toxin procs on affected targets when it explodes. If you explode Molt using Miasma, the damage and toxin procs from Molt will occur before Miasma's first instance of damage.

So like I said before, although her kit sounds complicated, in practice it is very intuitive. It's pretty much exactly how you'd want it to work.

Got nerfed like right after the Wiki entry was posted. 

Spores definitly get extra damage and spread Poison but the extend and stacking is pretty random and. ... overall in a somewhat "broken state".

As for the main question, your use of molt may strongly depend on your build. Poison does spread to an extend (not an exploitabale tho) so melee saryn with the assist of lash on a strength focused build is most definitly an option. In this case, feel free to be flexible with molt. Use it as distraction, as trap while you proceed in a different Direction. Thers plenti use for this ability. 

If you wanna minmax and go for max range/Spore spread and damage, use molt as Spore hive. Settings a constant damage source like torid bubbles on it while you Spam it with spores is a pretty viable ae in lower titlesets.

Experiment a bit and Stick to your preference.

I currently go with max efficiency/p.cont to offset FE/tanky'ish build, grab atterax(not many other weapons boast both unreasonably high range and stance with 360 degree sweep attacks) and go whip'em real good.
spores, cast toxic lash, melee rampage, molt+miasma(miasma explodes molt before applying to enemies, so modding weapon for toxin proc's isn't necesary) when things get hairy or you're nearing full energy pool. Though in this setup, most of your dmg comes of weapon, skills mainly deliver status procs, but it sure is fun to see all those proc's.

I found it to be only enjoyable way of playing saryn. She's REALLY energy hungry, toxic lash energy regen isn't that impressive and I refuse to rely on crutches like always having trinity in team or using zenurik's energy overflow.

Edited by 5HV3N