Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Every Planet Looks Exactly The Same.

Rhodonite

Change that. It's not even that difficult. If you do missions on Mars, just change the rocky snow to a rocky sand. If you're on Venus, make the sky yellow and air of the outside area all dusty. And so on.

EVERY SINGLE PLANET LOOKS THE SAME. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WETHER YOU'RE ON VENUS, ON MARS, ON EARTH OR ON SATURN. THIS IS THE GAME'S BIGGEST PROBLEM.

I'm starting to feel as if I am repeating the same mission over and over. Sometimes I forgot wether I am on one planet or another since they're all identical. And worst of all, I read many reviews/comments being negative because of this huge problem.

I know you guys can't make money out of creating different environments, which is why a lot of work went into designing warframes but little work went into designing the levels. But remember, make a good impression and the player will be much more willing to spend money on your product.

"Just make all new intricate environmental effects and change the entire level based on planet, it's not hard at all"

Yeah, you're right. We're better off using the same level and applying it to 1000000000 missions. That'll sure keep players playing!

Yeah, you're right. We're better off using the same level and applying it to 1000000000 missions. That'll sure keep players playing!

You know 85% of the levels are on ships, yes? Not on the planet?

And it takes time for them to create all new tiles. They're making them right now, and it's not easy, they have to test, experiment, etc. and the game has only been out for 8 or so months. Give it some time. 

Edited by austinrelis

You know 85% of the levels are on ships, yes? Not on the planet?

If you're here to argue, please leave this thread. Don't be a fanboy.

Also, more than half of the levels I played had me walking on snow. The other half had me walking in the same identical ship, it didn't matter if it was a Grineer warship or else.

So you guys are all fine playing the same level over and over, uhu? I wonder what kind of videogames you're used to play.

Or is it because this is the Warframe official forum, therefore it's forbidden to ever say something negative about this game without fanboys rushing in?

If you're here to argue, please leave this thread. Don't be a fanboy.

Also, more than half of the levels I played had me walking on snow. The other half had me walking in the same identical ship, it didn't matter if it was a Grineer warship or else.

If half the levels you've played are on snow then you're only on Venus as of now. I'm pretty sure there is the Corpus ship tileset, corpus outpost tileset, grineer asteroid mining base tileset, grineer galleon, and the infested share the same ship as the grineer, and the Void.

The tiles are randomized so you do actually get a different level every time.

EDIT: And I'm not a "fanboy", I hold my own opinion.

Edited by austinrelis

they are making new environments all the time. and are working around a desert based one for the grineer right now.

their attention to detail is clear in everything they do. changing some colors around and some textures would never be enough for anybody. not in a game this intricate.

dont throw a fit because somebody thinks different then you. if YOU dont want to argue over the points you are trying to make YOU leave.

its a forum. it revolves around that very idea.

If half the levels you've played are on snow then you're only on Venus as of now. I'm pretty sure there is the Corpus ship tileset, corpus outpost tileset, grineer asteroid mining base tileset, grineer galleon, and the infested share the same ship as the grineer, and the Void.

The tiles are randomized so you do actually get a different level every time.

I played many missions on Saturn, Europa, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Eris, Neptune.

Otherwise I would never have made this topic. I'm not an idiot.

You guys can accept there IS a problem in the level design here, or you can be blinded by fanboyism and saying the levels are totally different. But remember.... denying this problem is only hurting our beloved videogame.

they are making new environments all the time. and are working around a desert based one for the grineer right now.

their attention to detail is clear in everything they do. changing some colors around and some textures would never be enough for anybody. not in a game this intricate.

This is far into open beta. This is, in fact, close to the full game, and it's called "beta" because many online videogames keep "beta" attached to their name for long time.

No matter how much blind faith you have in the developers - trust me, they're not going to overhaul everything and come up with many different environments all of a sudden, if they didn't bother to do it at the early stages.

Unless we made our voices heard. That may still not change anything. Or maybe, it could. Still, it's better to address the issue.

I played many missions on Saturn, Europa, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Eris, Neptune.

Otherwise I would never have made this topic. I'm not an idiot.

You guys can accept there IS a problem in the level design here, or you can be blinded by fanboyism and saying the levels are totally different. But remember.... denying this problem is only hurting our beloved videogame.

Most of those missions are corpus which is the only faction you fight on the planet. But whatever, you must have joined after open beta started which was when those were added.

There is a small problem in the level design, true, but they are constantly working on it. You have to be patient for this stuff.

Most of those missions are corpus which is the only faction you fight on the planet. But whatever, you must have joined after open beta started which was when those were added.

There is a small problem in the level design, true, but they are constantly working on it. You have to be patient for this stuff.

I love this game - the warframe designs are really awesome, and I wish I could see such creativity and beauty in the levels, too.

But was there any official words on the developers? Has this issue been brought up before?

Actually, none of the missions are on planets (as far as I'm aware). They're all on moons or asteroids. Take Io for example. It's one of Jupiter's moons.

This isn't to say some variety wouldn't be nice, but keep in mind the cost. Warframe is a ~2-3 GB game right now. That's mostly affected by things like textures and meshes and so forth. Adding more would increase the game's size very, very fast. This would make the gamefile big (which would deter some people), might make the game more resource-intensive (which would deter more people), and would also cost a lot of time and money to create. This means DE would have to either take the hit, or adjust the FTP model to make more money to cover their losses.

In any case, I seriously doubt anyone is going to be turned off of the entire game because they only see a snow level when they venture outside, which is a rare occurence. I also doubt many people will be attracted to the game just because of better outdoors scenery. What will attract people is a larger variety of weapons and warframes, smarter and more varied enemies, and tight gameplay. Which is what DE is focusing on.

I've personally messaged DE about this in the past.

austinrelis

Gold Hunter

Sent 09 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hello Skree.

I know you work very hard, and I appreciate your work at DE.

I have played the game a lot, I have around 100 hours of gameplay. I find the game to be very fun, yet very repetitive. You guys really need to add double/triple the amount of tilesets you currently have and randomize them for each faction. This would add much more to the game, and it wouldn't be the same 2 levels every planet. I hope you read this and take this into consideration, as the majority of the Warframe community looks forward to new levels and it would really be a big improvement to the game.

Regards,

Austin.
DE_Skree

Warframe Staff

• photo-thumb-26.jpg?_r=1368469358
  • Warframe Staff
  • 284 posts

Sent 10 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi austinrelis,

Yep we are definitely busy making new tilesets for you guys. There's alot coming up! :)
Level designers and enviro artists are never idle around here, so stay tuned!
Thankyou for your dedication in playing Warframe, we've been lucky to have awesome community members like you!
  •  

I play with Skree sometimes as well. I know he's working a lot.

Actually, none of the missions are on planets (as far as I'm aware). They're all on moons or asteroids. Take Io for example. It's one of Jupiter's moons.

This isn't to say some variety wouldn't be nice, but keep in mind the cost. Warframe is a ~2-3 GB game right now. That's mostly affected by things like textures and meshes and so forth. Adding more would increase the game's size very, very fast. This would make the gamefile big (which would deter some people), might make the game more resource-intensive (which would deter more people), and would also cost a lot of time and money to create. This means DE would have to either take the hit, or adjust the FTP model to make more money to cover their losses.

In any case, I seriously doubt anyone is going to be turned off of the entire game because they only see a snow level when they venture outside, which is a rare occurence. I also doubt many people will be attracted to the game just because of better outdoors scenery. What will attract people is a larger variety of weapons and warframes, smarter and more varied enemies, and tight gameplay. Which is what DE is focusing on.

You make a very valid point, and I understand all of this.

But I disagree that people won't care about the level design. It won't matter in the first days. But after a while, the lack of variety in levels is grating. The point is that you can sell weapons and frames, but you can't sell different level backgrounds (theorically - expansions pack would be buyable but that's not how to fix it).

The same level repeated over and over is not a good sign of game quality. Yes, this is a free game. But this is in no way a justification. Recently I played another fully free game, Phantasy Star Online 2, and that game has weapons AND costumes AND levels to enjoy.

I know that you're all enjoying this game and having fun with it, therefore the sameness of the levels seem justifiable. But it's not. I'm loving this game, too, which is why I want it to use more of its potential instead of being content with this.

I love this game - the warframe designs are really awesome, and I wish I could see such creativity and beauty in the levels, too.

But was there any official words on the developers? Has this issue been brought up before?

yea i already don't like you stop throwing around the word fanboy

I see no issues wit the maps. they are randomly generated from various tilesets. and by the way do you know how long it would take to create a new tileset or make changes for  each "planet" node?  and then dont forget they have other things to do aswell mate.  try comparing these maps to the Vindictus maps. each region has its own style. but EVERY mission has the same map. maybe a different lay out wich Door A closed and Door B opened, atleast Warframe randomizes what you get. Say i go to War to kill Nef Anyo, first run 3 rooms and i meet Anyo. then its on to extraction. run 2 i could see 20 rooms before i meet Anyo and another 10 before i reach extraction. (exageration but okay its to make a point)

I just feel that DE took on a project that was too large for them. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the game for the great majority of the time. I love the concept. Just as other have pointed out, creative design takes time. Which is the issue for the devs.

This game is lacking in the variety department. Sure, no issues with the frames. Weapons wise, lack of variety along with same enemies, behind the same corner, with the same tactics doesn't motivate to me to try but a handful of weapons. Sure, I could go up in rank, but what good does that do? Bragging rights?

At least the "tiles" are randomized. That alone mitigates repetitiveness for quite a while. However, I've found myself running through levels now. All thanks to the feeling of, been here, done that. Even though I still have planets along with many mission yet to unlock. If they could release a map editor(Which I know will take a lot of work), the community could take care of the maps. Taking a load of work of their desks along with a greater appeal for the game.

They are working on new content. I am not as pressed for new levels. They will come. We got the Void missions after all.

A map editor would be fine if the maps had to be submitted to DE before being offered to the community. That way DE could fully test them to ensure they don't cause other problems within the game.

Test maps where people can try new maps would be interesting but they would have to be done while offering no xp gains or loot in order to avoid abuse until they have been sanctioned by DE.

theres one common thing i notice people are excluding especially in ops second last post (#16) where he compares phantasy star online 2 to warframe and that is the glaringly obvious thing that warframe has started from scratch funding wise they dont have some huge backer what they do have are their founders and plat buyers and maybe some people who donate who knows

programmers and artists and many other employee types are not cheap they love this game its their piece of art that they want to perfect they are not like ea they are not a publisher they don't have another game giving them a source of income they build and polish this game with the hand they have

true they have to diversify the game in many aspects maybe chill a little on the weapons and focus on the frames and tile sets but we dont know much just what they reveal to us in live stream or through other ways

this game may be close to release but that does not change the fact its still a beta and not this weird idea current companies have of beta which is that of a tech demo. they still have major glitches like falling through floors which should never make it into a launch

this is why it is beta to add more content and iron it out

im not saying they will get everything done that op wants or that everyone wants just that we should give them a chance to show us what they will make 

Edited by XfynxX

New stuff is definitely in the works! The passion of our community is amazing and supportive!

We are very excited about the Grineer Settlement tileset! It's an all new arid wasteland environment, you can find out some info in the previous 2 livestreams.

As a Level Designer every day comes with excitement and fun; watching new and interesting locations go from paper to full living breathing locations... seeing these ideas come to life is almost as enjoyable as playing in them afterwards with everyone :)

more playgrounds are constantly under construction!

Edited by DE_Skree