Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nikana Prime vs. Broken War...numbers wrong?

Aekhon

Question

Hi,

I have both the Nikana Prime and Broken War.  I've leveled them both to 30 and am using the exact same build on each.  The numbers in the Armory and the wiki say that Nikana Prime does more base damage (95 physical vs 90 for Broken War), but I one-shot things with Broken War that take two shots with Nikana Prime, and two shot things with Broken War that take three shots with Nikana Prime.  Both are slash weapons and I am using them on the same targets (Grineer).  Testing seems to suggest that the numbers for one or both weapons are wrong.  Are they or did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I'm not boosting crit chance at all, so the Nikana Prime should have a slight edge here.  I've actually been trying to test base damage; I've never cared for crit builds because luck is never on my side.  I'm using the same mods on each and both are heavily slash-based weapons, so I'd be surprised if Impact or Puncture were doing anything significant.  I didn't think about the stances causing extra damage, though; that never gets shown in the numbers.  That could be it, actually.  If that's the case, that would mean that Crimson Dervish gives regular swords a reasonably hefty damage boost.

Edited by Tantalus010

4 minutes ago, Tantalus010 said:

I'm not boosting crit chance at all, so the Nikana Prime should have a slight edge here.  I've actually been trying to test base damage; I've never cared for crit builds because luck is never on my side.  I'm using the same mods on each and both are heavily slash-based weapons, so I'd be surprised if Impact or Puncture were doing anything significant.  I didn't think about the stances causing extra damage, though; that never gets shown in the numbers.  That could be it, actually.  If that's the case, that would mean that Crimson Dervish gives regular swords a reasonably hefty damage boost.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Dervish

Gives a 3x Multiplier on combos and slows the weapon down.

That's the reason why you test base damages without stances as some stances augment the weapon's damage output.

4 minutes ago, Tantalus010 said:

Hi,

I have both the Nikana Prime and Broken War.  I've leveled them both to 30 and am using the exact same build on each.  The numbers in the Armory and the wiki say that Nikana Prime does more base damage (95 physical vs 90 for Broken War), but I one-shot things with Broken War that take two shots with Nikana Prime, and two shot things with Broken War that take three shots with Nikana Prime.  Both are slash weapons and I am using them on the same targets (Grineer).  Testing seems to suggest that the numbers for one or both weapons are wrong.  Are they or did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks!

I assume you used Crimson Dervish stance for broken war.

The Crimson Dervish stance offers 300% damage bonus on all of its attacks,nikana stances are a lot lower a maximum of 200% on 1 attack in a combo (it does have some finisher goodies to offer though). In terms of raw damage your observations are correct and no the numbers are not wrong, it is the stance damage multiplier that makes the difference, Same reason why Dakra P does more damage than the Dragon Nikana despite the paper stats of the weapons telling you otherwise.  

The differences in all of the damage types makes a difference. Only because the different damage types have different multipliers for shields, armor ect. The only real advice I can leave is to say that you are really missing out if you can't mod for what a certain weapon is geared towards. With shadow step and my nikana I can stay invisible indefinitely from critical hits. Im not a huge advocate of "red" crits because in my experience they are wild and unpredictable on damage output. But regardless the critical hit to refresh ss is predictable as anything. I can honestly say I don't believe I've ever saw it take more than 3 hits to produce a yellow number, and after blood rush kicks in they are all crits. Red about 50% of the time.