Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions about Glaive

Pouncer

Question

Okay so this is what I currently have on my Glaive (if it matters, my current MR is 9):

http://zoq3xfz.jpg

As you can see I'm using 2 elemental pairs.  I'm just learning how to use it and if there is a parsing program for Warframe I'm not aware of it, but anyway it seems like nice damage.  However I've been told I can do more if I set it up so that I have it explode on the first target it hits.  I've tried manually blowing it up but it only seems to work about half the time, if there is a way to have it explode automatically can someone please explain how I can get it to do this?

I have Quick Return that's fully cored (also Rebound that's fully cored, just in case it could come in handy), Power Throw (4/5 cores, I can easily fill it but since I'm trying to fill up so many mods I'm waiting until I have to fill it), and Whirlwind (3/5, same reason).  If I were to replace either explosion or corrosion with two of these other mods instead, would I likely see more DPS (or will it at least be easier if I can get it to explode automatically)?  Or is the way I have it set right now the best way?  It feels strange not having Reach in there.  I recently bought Primed Reach but it's low on the priority list of what I need to fill, considering the sheer number of cores I'd need in order to fill it.

I'm really fascinated with Glaive and want to get more practice with it, but I'd like some input before I start so I'm not wasting time on mods that aren't as good as others.  Thanks for your time.

6 answers to this question

for it to auto explode, add a maxed power throw and quick return.. and be careful to where you throw the glaive once you start using those 2 mods... otherwise you'll end up blowing yourself up instead

oh, and MR doesn't really matter

also more likely you'll see less DPS if you remove one of the 2 compound elements but it completely depends on where you play because some enemies are more vulnerable to that type of damage while others are resistant to it.

your current build there is good for the void

Edited by NobleParadox96

It looks good to me.  How much use you get out of the Glaive is kinda directly related to which frame you will be using it with.  You will get the most out the Glaive when used with Ivara's Navigator.  If that's the case, then you might want to get more punch thru.  That is only if you feel you need it.  I recommend to play with it and see how if it's preforming to your liking.  

The question is: what are you wanting to do with it? Are you going to mainly throw it? Or use it as melee-only?

I use mine to throw. You want to use max power throw, quick return, and whirlwind. Take off reach, it doesn't help you at all. Whirlwind will increase the range, but reach won't. Fury will increase the speed of the throwing animation. Manual detonation isn't reliable, but power throw will make it detonate on hit. Either go for headshots or throw it at their feet so that it hits them AND explodes on the ground by their feet. One of the best uses for the glaive is as a nullifier killer. To do this, build for pure toxin and aim it at his feet, it will pass through the bubble and kill him in one hit if you aim it right. Spoiled strike will help quite a bit, just know that it will slow down the throw animation. I'd post my usual build, but I'm on mobile and can't get in game. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

45 minutes ago, NobleParadox96 said:

for it to auto explode, add a maxed power throw and quick return.. and be careful to where you throw the glaive once you start using those 2 mods... otherwise you'll end up blowing yourself up instead

oh, and MR doesn't really matter

also more likely you'll see less DPS if you remove one of the 2 compound elements but it completely depends on where you play because some enemies are more vulnerable to that type of damage while others are resistant to it.

your current build there is good for the void

You're right about power throw and quick return, but blast + Corrosive isn't a good combination. The glaive isn't much of a status weapon,  and blast damage doesn't do too well against most corrupted. After adding power throw, quick return, and whirlwind, he'll only have enough room for two elementals (assuming he keeps spoiled strike but takes off jagged edge), and those should be Corrosive for most void enemies or toxin for nullys. I'm saying to take off jagged edge because the damage increase is sorta meh, you're better off with either spoiled strike or a faction mod (for non-void). In the void jagged edge is an okay replacement for spoiled strike if you don't like the reduction in speed.

BTW,  I just wanted to point out that Primed fury is amazing on the glaive, and I highly recommend it. Astral twilight is a good stance for going melee only with it, but (believe it or not) gleaming talon is better for using the quick-melee throw, since the animation is slightly faster.

But take the advice given by @NobleParadox96 , and be careful where you throw it! It can easily kill you. Strangely enough using maxed quick return makes it safer; for some reason it tends to explode when you catch it without this mod.

3 hours ago, Lord_Azrael said:

The question is: what are you wanting to do with it? Are you going to mainly throw it? Or use it as melee-only?

I use mine to throw. You want to use max power throw, quick return, and whirlwind. Take off reach, it doesn't help you at all. Whirlwind will increase the range, but reach won't. Fury will increase the speed of the throwing animation. Manual detonation isn't reliable, but power throw will make it detonate on hit. Either go for headshots or throw it at their feet so that it hits them AND explodes on the ground by their feet. One of the best uses for the glaive is as a nullifier killer. To do this, build for pure toxin and aim it at his feet, it will pass through the bubble and kill him in one hit if you aim it right. Spoiled strike will help quite a bit, just know that it will slow down the throw animation. I'd post my usual build, but I'm on mobile and can't get in game. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

I definitely want to learn how to throw it effectively, i heard I can reload my ranged weapons while it's flying away and that's a nice bonus.  Obviously there are times  when up close melee can't be avoided but yeah my preference is to kill them before they even reach me.

8 minutes ago, Pouncer said:

I definitely want to learn how to throw it effectively, i heard I can reload my ranged weapons while it's flying away and that's a nice bonus.  Obviously there are times  when up close melee can't be avoided but yeah my preference is to kill them before they even reach me.

The way that I use mine is I run around and shoot people, and use the quick-melee throw to take out nullifiers.  I aim at their feet so that it hits them right before exploding against the ground. It's also a great stealth weapon, since it's silent and has decent range once you have whirlwind on. It's especially useful for certain MR tests that limit you to melee and require stealth. A nice bonus is that you can also shoot while the glaive is in the air.

Catching the glaive is a one-handed action, and doesn't interrupt reloading or casting. Theoretically you can use it to take out enemies while you reload, especially if they're close to death and you just want to finish them. However, in reality this isn't as powerful as it sounds, because you still have to complete the throwing animation. It's hard to use it this way, but it can be done with practice,  and when you pull it off it feels cool as hek. If you want to become good at this, Primed fury will help immensely. You may also want to avoid spoiled strike if you intend to use it this way.

It's also fun to use in melee-only, swinging it at people and throwing it if they're far away, but that is less effective due to the lower dps compared to other melee weapons. It's really more of a utility, imo. But a really fun, cool, and usefully utility. Besides, the glaive is in warframes' DNA. It originally came from dark sector(also made by DE), where it was one of your primary weapons.

Oh, and fair disclosure: I use the glaive prime, not the glaive. One of the main differences is the flight speed,  which is much higher for the prime variant. However, the prime version does not do any more damage, so the regular one is still viable.