Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warfame Suggestion: Gunslinger Concept

Rudette

There was a post over on general that got me thinking about what a Gunslinger frame would be like. Some people were suggesting weapons locked to the character, others summonable weapons. But to me that isn't what makes a fun gunslinger! Here is my take.

I wrote this up! I thought I'd post it here to see if it the concept could stand on it's own. 

Concept:

What makes a fun gun-slinging fire-arm centric playstyle would be a character who's powers play up to those elements---powers that make you more efficient at that run and gun style. Making cover on the fly, having excellent mobility to position myself for kiting, a sniper position, or to press a shotgun into my foe's mouth---or even escape a dodgy situation if need be. Access to emergency crowd control. Self-buffs for weapons.

This would even make the prospect of collecting weapons fun. It would lend itself to a style of play that is a blend of Volt and Saryn. A selection of powers might look like the following:

Gunslinger Warframe:

Potential Powers:

*Damage Control or Damage Buff for Primary and Secondary Weapons:  Similar to Sayrn's contagion, but imbues the buff to your firearms instead of melee. This could be broken down into a damage centric power for the primary and a CC centric power for gunplay. Or, it could simply be one power.

*Cover Pulse: A pulse that emits from the Warframe, knocks enemies down that breach cover.

*Deployable Cover: Similar to Volt's shield.

*Mobility or Mobility based power: Naturally high movement speed or a power that grants a movement speed buff. This is for positioning, making distance, and getting away. 

*Ultimate: The Warframe pulls out something similar to a void key---A device that stores his huge collection of weapons in a pocket dimension. He crouches down after he activates the device. Little portals open up, and the barrels of familiar weapons from the Tenno Arsenal poke out, and they fire. Staggering and doing a moderate amount of damage to enemies caught in the large AoE cone infront of you. After this animation, you regain control of your character.

Thoughts? Feedback? Name ideas? This is just for fun!

Edited by Rudette

I Like this Idea. 

But it seem's like the "Anti-Matter" Warframe will be first.

I Still like the Idea's and Concept Developed into this.

Keep it in-case someone in the Design Council can suggest it.

Edited by SleepingGuy

Could call him Gilead (pronounce Jill-ee-Add, IIRC) in a shout out to Stephen Kings The Dark Tower. Gilead is the kingdom from which Gunslingers came.

I do not aim with my eye;

He who aims with his eye has forgotten the face of his father.

I aim with my hand.

I do not shoot with my hand;

He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun;

He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.

I kill with my heart

and give him a badass longcoat like Frost, too.

Gilead is a cool 'frame name. :3

okay, just thought of some powers...

for 1, a single-target staggering shot, probably like what Railgun MOAs use. call it "Snipe". alternatively, the shot can knock down enemies in its trail. call this version "Blast Shot" or "Buckshot". to balance it out, it could have a wind-up time like the Railgun MOAs (if single-target), or the shot could be as slow as a Excal's Slash Dash or Rhino's Charge (if it knocks down enemies in its trail). leveling it up increases damage. 25 Energy cost.

for 2, a trap power, stops enemies in their tracks if they get caught in it. they can still fire if they have guns (or in the Ancient Infested's case, their arms). i imagine this would be pretty effective against light infested (Chargers, Runners, Leapers). leveling this up increases hold time. call it "Hold" or something. can be deployed like Vauban's Tesla, but each trap can only hold 1 enemy. 25 Energy cost.

for 3, a cover power, as suggested in the OP. knocks down (or staggers, depending on balancing) enemies when deployed, at the cost of it being a solid wall (as wide as Volt's Electric Shield) that obscures line of sight. call it "Cover", maybe. leveling up increases its duration and wall height (crouch level, chest height, full height). 75 Energy cost.

for 4, a radial power. i'm thinking something like Gun Kata. acts like Ash's Bladestorm, except the 'frame does not teleport around the map, just stands in place and targets any enemy in range. to balance it out, maybe the 'frame can only shoot at one target once. call it "Equilibrium" (hehehe, yeah.). leveling it up increases radius and damage. 100 Energy cost.

Edited by sw0rd5

If inspired by Roland Deschain of Gilead I think abilities more like-

Unflinching Gaze: self-buff to zoom on all weapons

Steady Hand: self-buff to ranged accuracy; guaranteed crits on melee

Inspire: team buff to accuracy, damage, reload speed, fire rate, crit damage and crit rate
Iron Will: for a short while after cast cannot drop below 1 hp, immunity to enemy crowd control

Edited by Keiiken

I will admit, my ultimate suggestion is rather anime-esque. The powers over all do pull quite abit from a blend of Sayrn and Volt. Perhaps they lack originality or flare.

What is the general census on the ultimate? Good? Bad? Some sort of cone could be interesting and fun. I think a gun-slingers ultimate might be more about CC, to let the player get the satisfaction of finishing his targets off with his/her guns rather than explodinating the country side with one errant keystroke! An a cone would feel different from the typical personal AoE.

Gilead. I love that! Dark Tower is excellent reference! Most befitting!

Keiiken: Some excellent suggestions! It gets me thinking that more buffing powers in the game could be fun (all be it probably a balancing nightmare >.>)

And a long coat >.> why of course. We can't have a gunslinger without a nice coat! Perhaps the rest of the frame could be semi steam-punkish look. The helmet could have at least one eye covered in what is obviously some sort of optical enhancement. A rusty brown palette over all with some orange trim and lights to provide contrast to the dismal antiqued brown armor and dark-colored coat.  As bare bones visual concept of course!

Edited by Rudette