Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can you copy warframe unto another computer in 2016???

topzz

Question

Please, I really need help!!

I just recently lost all my data due to the blue screen of death straight after installing the update(took me 2 days btw)

Does anyone know if it is possible to do so now, and if it is possible please give a detailed guide on how to do so.

Thanks in advance!!!

20 answers to this question

Just now, topzz said:

Thanks, but do you know where to copy it?

and how to get there???

Copy to the same place you installed it too last.

If you don't know where that is, download the installer, look at where it is installing too, stop the install as it begins, and copy the installation from another computer to there.

Alternatively, If you have installed it before to the same computer without reinstalling/updating windows, check regedit for the previous install location.

7 minutes ago, Kihana said:

Copy to the same place you installed it too last.

If you don't know where that is, download the installer, look at where it is installing too, stop the install as it begins, and copy the installation from another computer to there.

Alternatively, If you have installed it before to the same computer without reinstalling/updating windows, check regedit for the previous install location.

I've done that and it ended up installing in Users>AppData>Local>Warframe. 

when it did i just copied the whole folder into it.

But when i got back unto the launcher it was still making me download the whole update which was about 10456.73 MB

I've deleted and repeated the steps 3 times and still no luck

Does that method still work now? And if it does what have i done wrong???

Edited by topzz

14 minutes ago, topzz said:

I've done that and it ended up installing in Users>AppData>Local>Warframe. 

when it did i just copied the whole folder into it.

Stop right there.

I'll update this in a minute.

Update: Do not touch YourUserName>AppData>Local>Warframe.  That will update automagically, and is not the location you need to copy an install from or to.

On the computer you are copying from, and also the computer you are copying to, go to menu -> search and/or run -> regedit.

Click on Edit -> Find in the menu of REGEDIT and enter Warframe. Click F3 until you find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Digital Extremes\Warframe\Launcher. In the panel on the right will be LauncherExe and it will show a location. The part you want is DRIVE:\PATH\Warframe\

Install from and to that location.

Update 2: If the copied install is not up to date, as of Specters Of The Rail, you will still face a minimum 4.2 GB update. There is no way around this.

Edited by Kihana

51 minutes ago, Kihana said:

Stop right there.

I'll update this in a minute.

Update: Do not touch YourUserName>AppData>Local>Warframe.  That will update automagically, and is not the location you need to copy an install from or to.

On the computer you are copying from, and also the computer you are copying to, go to menu -> search and/or run -> regedit.

Click on Edit -> Find in the menu of REGEDIT and enter Warframe. Click F3 until you find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Digital Extremes\Warframe\Launcher. In the panel on the right will be LauncherExe and it will show a location. The part you want is DRIVE:\PATH\Warframe\

Install from and to that location.

Update 2: If the copied install is not up to date, as of Specters Of The Rail, you will still face a minimum 4.2 GB update. There is no way around this.

First of all thanks for bearing with me.

Secondly, the path that came up was still YourUserName>AppData>Local>Warframe

MAybe its the copy part im doing wrong

1)which part do i Copy(the whole warframe folder or a certain aspect)

2)When Do copy it in e.g as soon as the launcher boots up or when the first set of downloads are finished(20mb ones )

3) If i fail do i have to uninstall warframe to try again

Edited by topzz

36 minutes ago, topzz said:

First of all thanks for bearing with me.

Secondly, the path that came up was still YourUserName>AppData>Local>Warfram

OK, apparently your on windows 10. Or maybe 8.0 or 8.1. Who knows.

Try the same REGEDIT entry, but look at DownloadDir instead of LauncherExe and use that as the original and copy install directories.

On both my desktop (Windows 7: latest) and laptop (Windows 10: latest) installations, that is the genuine install directories.

23 minutes ago, Kihana said:

Try the same REGEDIT entry, but look at DownloadDir instead of LauncherExe and use that as the original and copy install directories.

On both my desktop (Windows 7: latest) and laptop (Windows 10: latest) installations, that is the genuine install directories.

Thanks, i actually have windows 10 and this different path looks very promising 

atm i am acctually installing the update on my other computer cuz i had given up but i will definately give this a try

Do i have to uninstall warframe before i try again and copy it???

update:Yeah i guess it still didnt work, its still updating 

btw i didnt uninstall it before copying the files however i did stop the download

Edited by topzz

On 12/07/2016 at 2:51 AM, Kihana said:

Hey there, I was having issues getting Warframe to notice the files copied from another PC, and I managed to get it working based on this.

I followed your process of opening regedit and looking at the directories registered. Putting the copied files into the location specified in DownloadDir got the launcher to recognise the files. They need to be in the same paths as the original install. The launcher will say "verifying download cache" and check the files. It will take about 5 minutes, and once that's done it should be good to go.

http://imgur.com/OAKSYMC
http://imgur.com/KTHMUlD

Similar problem here but I'll try to make it simple.

#My laptop has updated files in Drive D (steam) and need to copy those files in Desktop PC Drive C (steam) or do they need to be in the same drive for both machines?? 

#Desktop has WF installed and were running smoothly but after the very recent hotfix it's saying it needs to download 9724 MB of updates where as in my laptop WF updated this morning with 188 MB of update data and running but due to being a professional laptop it's just for logging rewards :) :P.

Now do I need to copy the whole folder from laptop to desktop or is there any shortcut? Need serious help here as I can't play anymore since this bs issue showed up.

Edited by AhmadIYE

41 minutes ago, AhmadIYE said:

Similar problem here but I'll try to make it simple.

#My laptop has updated files in Drive D (steam) and need to copy those files in Desktop PC Drive C (steam) or do they need to be in the same drive for both machines?? 

#Desktop has WF installed and were running smoothly but after the very recent hotfix it's saying it needs to download 9724 MB of updates where as in my laptop WF updated this morning with 188 MB of update data and running but due to being a professional laptop it's just for logging rewards :) :P.

Now do I need to copy the whole folder from laptop to desktop or is there any shortcut? Need serious help here as I can't play anymore since this bs issue showed up.

if you are using Steam, then it would just be a lot easier to use Steam to install it on the desktop PC. Less headache that way.

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

if you are using Steam, then it would just be a lot easier to use Steam to install it on the desktop PC. Less headache that way.

i know its easier but simply just dont wanna download (my bloody download going on anyway and playing Tomb Raider to pass the time). I had files and even updated ones till 3.2 but don't know how overnight around 15 GB files got lost from my PC and it's asking to download all of them and all there remaining is only 5 GB. So all I'm requesting here is a simply easy solution like would it be okay if just copy and paste that 20 GB folder from my laptop (updated till 3.3) and paste it in my PC steam/steamapps/......./warframe folder....??

10 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

You can do that. It just depends on the transfer rate of your network as to how fast it will be. Then whether Steam on your PC will recognize the copied files. It's the last part that I'm not sure of.

It was hell easy like water (just copying the 'cache.windows' folder) but sadly and unfortunately after entering my Liset  and a few seconds of normal behavior later the textures & colors began to lose their structure and it started to show something like the picture below but everything else was running like they supposed to ex. movement, figures etc. It was like becoming a donkey seeing the end result and slowly losing patience now as I've already lost 2 days w/o Warframe and now the Tactical Alert is coming up today. Last thing I've done today before coming to office is running the 'verify download cache' which found and showed me 8.6 GB of update contents and hopefully it'll be done with it before I return home. If everything fails then I've to download the whole thing again.

Please help me out here if you got any suggestion for this poor fellow here :(

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

I did warn you in my first post that it would be less headache to just download it. You still ended up having to download the missing parts. I hope its all finished and working properly for you in time for the Tac Alerts. Good luck.

I was having issues with the downloading which I mentioned in my first comment and only that is the reason I wanted to do the shortcut otherwise if server weren't failing downloading the data then I'd have happily stayed with Tomb Raider, Doom, Deux Ex. MD for a while compromising my patience w/o Warframe. So, do you think verifying the download cache will solve my issue?

Just now, DatDarkOne said:

I downloaded Steam games both times on my Laptop and Desktop.

I did the same thing on my Laptop and Desktop but really cant figure out how and why this 15-16 GB of data got lost from my Desktop, just pooofff. With 1-2 MBps speed it'll take like a WHOLE DAY for me if just if the verifying doesn't work and eventually I will lose my weekend with Warframe tomorrow. I didnt mess up with all the sub-folders except just the big one 'cache.windows' which I found the file size difference in, so that one folder has all the problems now and just assuming conceptually the verification should get all the data needed for my desktop, right? or I messed up somewhere else?